Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

FSR VIR 5/2011 Video "playing tag w/ rmag"

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
You guys must be doing something different if you're entering T3 at 105 and Oak Tree at 87. My 2:05 lap had me at 70 through T3 and around 45 in Oak Tree (these are lowest speeds through the corner - this is per data, speedometer is not very accurate).
Fritz has been talking max speed before braking into the turns, not corner entry speed (although he never made it clear in his posts). 87/105 entries would be nice! Your #'s are similar for min corner speed.

BTW, 2:05 is moving for a 6gt3. Any mods or close to stock?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
This was a fun weekend - I was there in #16 6GT3. Track was slippery, haven't gone through all my data, but it looks like 2:05 might have been it for me.

You guys must be doing something different if you're entering T3 at 105 and Oak Tree at 87. My 2:05 lap had me at 70 through T3 and around 45 in Oak Tree (these are lowest speeds through the corner - this is per data, speedometer is not very accurate).
I remember your car from Friday, passed me and I figured I'd catch up but NOPE

Great driving and really nice car

I don't have track data but I do try to use the go pedal to it's max or what my stomach can tolerate and then look at the MPH gauge just before braking. Top of the esses I would see 127 to 130 the 1st couple of laps before the tires would get hot if the track was clear. I'm hoping to get this traqmate thing sorted out as one more tool to help me push harder and keep Ramon from doubting me

My main goal that weekend was trying to stay flat out into 3, I didn't make it, but a couple of times I almost did and saw 105 just before braking.

Some friends helped set up the traqmate for me Saturday but the little magnetic antennae thingy was on the roll bar and it was moving around so the data was off. However the MPH data looked like it was accurate when following the little dot around the track and we saw 107 into 3.

The 87 MPH into t11 is from my buddy Pats data (paddy on this forum) and I couldn't believe it either but it's there. He takes a very direct entry (straight line in) brakes very hard and rotates. It's actually the line I used to run years ago and taught him to do but I have since pulled off of the apex a bit/or turn later to give myself a better angle because as mentioned it's a hard slide to nail over and over again but when you do it right it does feel AWESOME. My data showed speeds no lower than 50 or 52 and I'm betting Pats speeds are a little lower so what you gain going in will hurt the exit speed so segment analysis could be the best way to determine what approach is best/fastest however for consistency and safety I'll likely stick with the later entry.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmag
Fritz has been talking max speed before braking into the turns, not corner entry speed (although he never made it clear in his posts). 87/105 entries would be nice! Your #'s are similar for min corner speed.

Yep.

His car is slightly modded hehe
Old 05-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I'm hoping to get this traqmate thing sorted out as one more tool to help me push harder and keep Ramon from doubting me
Just a natural skeptic. And, of course, I like busting your chops. However, if the vid was of you in the RX7 then there would be no doubt But seriously all the vids w/data of 2:04s - 2:06s I've seen have GT3s ranging from 116-124 at the top of the esses. But I now am a believer as I came across a vid of J. Sofronas in a race prepped BMW (E36--3L ??--probably have this all wrong) holding 124 mph from the bottom to the top of the esses. So I would think that 130s are possible in a GT3RS.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rceron
Just a natural skeptic. And, of course, I like busting your chops. However, if the vid was of you in the RX7 then there would be no doubt But seriously all the vids w/data of 2:04s - 2:06s I've seen have GT3s ranging from 116-124 at the top of the esses. But I now am a believer as I came across a vid of J. Sofronas in a race prepped BMW (E36--3L ??--probably have this all wrong) holding 124 mph from the bottom to the top of the esses. So I would think that 130s are possible in a GT3RS.
I may actually be a lot lower because GPS is 99.9% accurate and usually much lower than the speedo.

Hopefully I'll get the RS back out on the full course, get this traqmate sorted out and have some data for you.

Now I need to sort out this tuning thing to try to keep Ryan in sight.

Who has a revo chip/tune thing and how easy is it to switch to 93 octane and up the timing?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes sense - I was starting to think I wasn't trying hard enough.

Car is running monoball suspension and motons, almost stock power though. I'm just getting used to it still and trying to learn best way to trailbrake, but still get amazed at this car every time I drive it
Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a Covette doing sub 2 min and over 130mph at the top. Impressive how he enters the upper esses at 127, I can do that, but than accelerates to 140 in the middle

Note the the 59mph speed in T3. Well below ukrbmw's 70mph

http://www.vimeo.com/20208440
Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bman
Here's a Covette doing sub 2 min and over 130mph at the top. Impressive how he enters the upper esses at 127, I can do that, but than accelerates to 140 in the middle

Note the the 59mph speed in T3. Well below ukrbmw's 70mph

http://www.vimeo.com/20208440
To carry max speed into 3 you drive a pretty straight line which hurts the angle a bit but it's often said that road racing is a drag race between corners and if you get those speeds maxed before braking that's usually the quickest way around. Sometimes in order to stay on the gas longer the next corner is sacrificed a bit which is the case w/ t3. Staying on throttle often causes a straight line approach making the next turn sharper and slows the mid corner speed quite bit as you slide the car to get it pointed which is why his t3 speed is so low but note the 103 max speed before t3 which is good.

BTW I love that vid. Wally really has that car dialed in and does a great job behind the wheel.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, all the Fritz said and I may have exaggerated a little!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good driving, guys!

That was me in the white rolling road block (997TT). You guys were flying, and I couldn't get my arm out fast enough.

First time I've had the turbo out there on 4 year old PS2s and no LSD. I was having fun in my 'own zone'.

My 6-3 is still in the shop.

I darn near had a heat stroke on Sun!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice, catching up with you fellas this weekend. The best lap I could muster was a 2:11.6 Saturday morning chasing Fritz and Ryan. I seriously need a LSD in my car and I think it's time to remove some weight. Actually, another 100hp would be nice too

I'll get my Traqmate data out tonight and tell you my exit speed out of Oak Tree. I think it's ~ 46mph
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Here's another vid.

This is from the Saturday afternoon session that Ryan posted w/ the temp at 90 but we had ball which was a great way to finish off the day.

Cranking some D JR so turn it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLbWEBAsDLE
Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a little disappointed I only blasted you with dirt once coming out of Oak tree That was pretty cool to see same laps from both perspectives (both inside, and in front/behind)
Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Much better!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

I'm a little disappointed I only blasted you with dirt once coming out of Oak tree That was pretty cool to see same laps from both perspectives (both inside, and in front/behind)
Indeed, see you in the fall for some low lap times F#ck data just don't lift and brake late, correction, don't lift but brake early because Porsche can't make an ABS system that works at the track

Originally Posted by Bman
Much better!

Quick Reply: FSR VIR 5/2011 Video "playing tag w/ rmag"