GT2RS vs. GT3RS

Old 05-18-2011, 04:18 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GT2RS vs. GT3RS

Not sure if this has been posted here yet:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/of-not...-rs-and-gt3-rs

Here's Johannes Van Overbeek talked about the differences..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av6qS...layer_embedded
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting that the GT2 RS has lag below 4500 rpm ... that makes for a power band between 4500 and 6500 ... that reminds me of the good-old, bad-old days of the 993 Turbo needing vigilance to stay out of the rev-limiter.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

There's also quick lap videos of both 2RS and 3.8 RS. No timing data, but both look to be right around 1:36 flat. Not too shabby for both cars presumably on Sport Cups. The 3.8 would be on the "older" Sport Cup. Both cars weigh in about the same, but the 3.8 is punching way above its weight (450 vs 620hp, 317 vs 516 lbft.) It seems to me the 2RS can't put the power down in this comparison -- a risk-averse pro driver in borrowed street cars. It would be interesting to have Porsche do "no holds barred" laps at Laguna in 2RS, 3.8 RS and 4.0 RS.

Maybe someone with video editing skills can do a side-by-side of the 2RS and 3.8 RS videos of JVO to see where and how the 2RS asserts itself (surely the data shows it a tenth or two quicker.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4IrB0kBHNI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPF5Nbmc84w
Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I am sure with tires that have more grip, the more power of the 2RS can be used to get a larger separation.. ?!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 2rs looks very stable, and fantastic under braking.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
No timing data, but both look to be right around 1:36 flat.
Quick laps, but not fast laps. We did the timed laps on an empty track. They'll be in the new issue, which should arrive on doorsteps shortly —* depending on the USPS, of course.

The 3.8 would be on the "older" Sport Cup.
Both cars were on new MPSCs.

...the 3.8 is punching way above its weight (450 vs 620hp, 317 vs 516 lbft.)
Indeed, and how.

It seems to me the 2RS can't put the power down in this comparison -- a risk-averse pro driver in borrowed street cars. It would be interesting to have Porsche do "no holds barred" laps at Laguna in 2RS, 3.8 RS and 4.0 RS.
GT2 RS is traction-limited, esp. when compared to the "torque-less" RS 3.8, but puts the power down really well considering it's got 620 hp and RWD. Unless, that is, driver inputs get notchy.

I think you'll find JvO's lap times, speed and consistency confirm his status as a top-flight pro. He pushed hard, stopping just short of tiny gains for huge risks. Testing scenario was pretty good: PCNA cars in top shape, new tires, a great track, great weather, a talented 911 (ALMS, Grand-Am, Le Mans....) driver who is not a Porsche employee, etc. Would love to have thrown the RS 4.0 into the mix, and maybe we'll come up with a little something. Not sure we'll get all three back together, however. Always nice to cover some new ground...

Maybe someone with video editing skills can do a side-by-side of the 2RS and 3.8 RS videos of JVO to see where and how the 2RS asserts itself (surely the data shows it a tenth or two quicker.)
Hmm. Could be done, but there's a reason these videos are separate: different sessions, traffic on track, and IIRC Johannes may have been feeling the GT2 RS out in this video. They're up so readers can ride along, see the GT2 RS's (epic) passing ability, and what personally interests me most: JvO's line around LS. His two-page story/sidebar, which appears alongside a six-page road test in the August 2011 issue, covers his timed runs as well as his impressions of each car.

In the meantime, we've put the videos and some extra pics up for all to enjoy...
Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag
IIRC Johannes may have been feeling the GT2 RS out in this video. They're up so readers can ride along, see the GT2 RS's (epic) passing ability, and what personally interests me most: JvO's line around LS. His two-page story/sidebar, which appears alongside a six-page road test in the August 2011 issue, covers his timed runs as well as his impressions of each car.

In the meantime, we've put the videos and some extra pics up for all to enjoy...

No question, anyone who can get in these 3000lb street cars with three-point belts and turn 1:36 is rocket-sled fast and knows Laguna like the back of his hand. I'm looking forward to the print edition. Interesting that PCNA updated the 3.8 to the N2 Cup. I guess that's a fair comparison.

Any chance you were able to check the alignment on the cars? Spring and damper rates?

I have to say the obvious because it's just so impressive -- a rematch of the 2RS with the 4.0 will be a one-punch KO.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you start both videos at the same time in post #3, you can appreciate how much faster the 2rs is. You can even stop one video and let the other car catch up and start again, the 2rs gets ahead within a lap. No traffic on either so, kind of cool to see
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chago996
If you start both videos at the same time in post #3, you can appreciate how much faster the 2rs is. You can even stop one video and let the other car catch up and start again, the 2rs gets ahead within a lap. No traffic on either so, kind of cool to see
Right, I did that and I agree it's a fun way to watch videos of anyone doing laps. But the trick is to sync two laps for comparison by distance so that each gain/loss is negated on a straight at peak speed, then synced at a consistent point (such as the outermost brake marker before either car goes into brakes.) Maybe this is something RaceKeeper Comparo can do with videos without data acq.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

This is by far the most objective, no-nonsense comparison of the two RS'es I've read. Great job Excellence!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Very cool videos... watched them today

And for some sort of reference I guess our 3.9 aint too shabby Non pro driver, stock suspension (except for a toe-steer kit and dog bones), a bent front shock but still a 1.36 flat last year:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...guna-seca.html

Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM
GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so which one was faster around that track?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT
... buy the magazine ... : )
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT
2RS if one goes by the posted videos. And from personal experience I would fully agree.

For a driver not accustomed to a turbo car, there will definitely be a learning curve necessary to extract what the 2RS has to offer.

It is natural to want to distill the difference between the cars to lap times (and of course I am curious as well!) but I can tell you they drive totally differently. Given identical (track) suspensions I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other to go play on a track day.

Sweet NA linearity of power delivery from the GT3 with a redline howl straight from the depths of hell (thank you Akrapovic and Porsche engineers).

Contrasted by...

Destruction of anything (except GT-R's) with the 2RS on straights, with a pissed-off shove in the back that must be experienced to appreciate. And that shove is just as addictive and enjoyable as the GT3 howl. Plus the driver has the added challenge of learning to deal with the lag and boost. If you like heel and toe, you will love lag!

For street driving in the 2RS it really doesn't matter much what gear you are in if you choose to pass. Give the go-pedal a poke and let the boost take care of everything.

I haven't read the Excellence article yet however I am very much looking forward to it, but I live with both cars on a daily basis and can tell you with no agenda or bias both are phenomenal and true joy to drive. There is no better or worse only an appreciation that another gearhead saw fit to make both happen in the first place.

Think about it...

If you have the means to acquire and enjoy either or both do so with no hesitation or regrets. To try and quantify that one is somehow better or worse than the other, well that's a lost cause and an effort in futility.

Buy one now while you can, and please use it where it belongs- on the track!

Last edited by savyboy; 05-25-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: heel not heal you big dummy!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

I agree, we all need both..
Sure love to drive wifey's Turbo car on the street. Point and shoot.
He did not mention much about handling / suspension difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT2RS vs. GT3RS