Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: Would you prefer that your GT3 come with factory-welded roll-bar plates as in ROW?
Yes!! Plates for me please.
94.59%
No plates for me.
5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Rollbar Mounting Plate Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Hmm. Re: getting this done for 4.0 RS, the first builds don't start until July and most will be built Sept - Nov after the August factory break. The process and parts are already in place for ROW cars and we're talking about parts that probably add $2-$3 to the cost of building a car that will sell for just shy of $200k. The US is what 160 or so out of 600 cars? How hard can it be to get extra plates and do the US cars too?

With all deference to AP and your relationship to him, if Porsche doesn't have the logistics to pull that off then I'm a little worried for their future. I say stop short-changing the US and get it done.
Porsche would probably have to crash test the car.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

If I were buying a GT3...and I will someday soon...I'd want one with the roll bar plates for sure. Why Porsche refuses to listen and not install these really makes me shake my head in disgust.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Legal reasons have nothing to do with it. It's purely a cost-saving decision at the expense of US buyers.

With all due respect to Andreas' comments about keeping the car light, ask any Cup car driver if they'd ever set foot on the track without a rollbar/cage and you'd get a unanimous NFW.

PAG/PCNA needs to listen to the message being sent here - LOUD AND CLEAR.
I think it is purely legal as the same reason why Porsche banned all North American Dealers from selling the Clubsport roll bar.

Now all the remaining North American stock of Clubsport roll bars are collecting dust somewhere..
Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey fellas, if the ROW cars have these plates, how would i check to see if my 997.2 gt3 came with them considering I didn't order the clubsport bar? I was under the impression you only get the plates when you order the bar from factory... Is there an easy way to check if they are there?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I think it is purely legal as the same reason why Porsche banned all North American Dealers from selling the Clubsport roll bar.

Now all the remaining North American stock of Clubsport roll bars are collecting dust somewhere..
The rollbar is a DOT issue. The plates are not. This has been confirmed.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Hey fellas, if the ROW cars have these plates, how would i check to see if my 997.2 gt3 came with them considering I didn't order the clubsport bar? I was under the impression you only get the plates when you order the bar from factory... Is there an easy way to check if they are there?
behind the drivers seat lift up the carpet in the back of the footwell. there might be a plate with 3 studs sticking out.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

The rollbar is a DOT issue. The plates are not. This has been confirmed.
now we can see where a legal issue could arise.

if the plates come factory, then the customer assumes it can all come together.
Customer has roll over and dies.

Estate pursues porsche in law suit.

Like the bullet and gun.

cant buy a gun, but you can buy bullets........ the roll bar is the gun and the plates are bullets.

porsche is not interested in fighting a team of american lawyers.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Last time: it's a cost issue, not a legal issue. Believe what you want but this has been confirmed by Porsche. Don't ask how I know.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Last time: it's a cost issue, not a legal issue. Believe what you want but this has been confirmed by Porsche. Don't ask how I know.
If the plates are a cost issue, then stick a price tag on 'em. They should also relocate the electronics away from under the driver seat, redesign the sliders to be lower, include welded sub strap anchor plates and lap belt anchors.

While I'm thinking about it, forget the add-on cage. The factory should offer a fully integrated cage -- "A" pillar, tied to the front struts, "B" pillar triangulated to the rear strut towers, bolt-in intrusion bars and rear cross-overs, all neatly upholstered into the cabin with the usual appearance options.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

true, if the tubs for north america are not permitted to have the clubsport roll bar, and the roll bar cannot be sourced by the dealer, then why bother the labour and material for the 4 plates per car....

the money saved on the assembly line for the # of GT3/RS produced for North America must be half decent.

sucks though for us though.

I guess porsche figures not many north americans will go out of their way to get clubsport roll bars out of germany.......
Old 05-14-2011, 11:54 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

I just don't get why we can't have roll bars in US? A roll bar is not a "safety issue" it's a "safety feature".
Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

true, if the tubs for north america are not permitted to have the clubsport roll bar, and the roll bar cannot be sourced by the dealer,
Then how do guys I know (some on this forum) have the Porsche Clubsport bar in their new GT3RS?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
Then how do guys I know (some on this forum) have the Porsche Clubsport bar in their new GT3RS?
Order plates/bar/cage from FVD or Carnewal. (and there are others, search the forum)

Drill holes, weld in plates, torque bolts, install bar/cage.

Voila'

It is a perfect fit.

Carnewal provides incredible service. Two thumbs up for Gert.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums

some guys had the plates and bar ordered third party.....

others (like myself) were lucky enough to get the few early production 997.1RS tubs destined for North America which were left over euro tubs that already had the plates installed from the factory
Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

behind the drivers seat lift up the carpet in the back of the footwell. there might be a plate with 3 studs sticking out.
Thanks tcs, I'll check it out....

Quick Reply: Rollbar Mounting Plate Poll