Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What the best way to get track mung off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brim
I really like the idea of an multi-use piece of vinyl to cover the bumper and perhaps rear haunches. Where do you get that material?
Reusable Adhesive Vinyl - 30" x 24" sheets

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I tried lots of different compounds and ended up damaging the clear bra with an adhesive remover. Ultimately I found that Auto Glym Intensive Tar Remover works the best...takes the rubber off with no damage or abrasion.
I have attempted to use this on numerous occassions and do not like it. I don't mind paying high prices for quality stuff, but the way it dispenses makes it very easy to waste. Also does not penetrate stains deeply enough to match the results of paint cleaners or auto bug/tar removers. I still have a 3/4 bottle that I don't intend to use, so if you have an application method that works then please share!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I just squirt onto a rag and wipe off the rubber streak. Works well on the vinyl wrap and really well on the paint. Car looks like it's been attacked by a grade 3 class with black crayons after every race. So far one bottle has lasted for about 12 track days and still counting. Previously I had 3M on the front and damaged it with adhesive remover. Some of the spray on degreasers around the shop work well too but I'm concerned about their eventual effect on the wrap...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Deputy.....trust me on this...REALLY trust me on this...OK?????

DO NOT USE MAGIC ERACERS ON YOUR BOAT...

especially the vinyl seats and so forth. The Magic Eracer will remove the UV coating on the vinyl and then your seats will turn black orange and so forth.

Samething goes for the every popular boat cleaning product Soft Scrub...DO NOT USE SOFT SCRUB on your vinyl seats or boat deck. Soft Scrub will remove the UV coating on the vinyl. Also if you use Soft Scrub on the deck and it washes down into the bildge it will eat the impellers out of your bildge pumps. Plus Soft Scrub will eventually danage the gelcoat on the deck.
I've never used soft scrub on the boat, so no worries there. We do use the hack out of the magic eraser though. Especially for scuffs on the gel coat. We do use it on the seats from time to time. Didn't know it would ruin the UV coating.

Not to get totally off track, but what do you suggest then?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
How the heck did you remove the damage Magic Eraser caused to your clear bra?? Last week I had to replace the front hood piece after only using it once....

No way could I remove all the "scuffing" caused by Magic Eraser...

..... back to using Plexus
I used to be a detailer at a dealership back in high school, so I have probably have a little more experience than the average Joe when it comes to polishing and waxing.

When I did use the magic eraser, I made sure I had a stream of running water on the water to wash away whatever it picked up and to minimize abrasions. While that helped, I still had mild abrasions on both the paint and the CB.

While I hate doing this kind of stuff, this whole "take the tire marks off" project, has turned into a 7 hour ordeal. I basically decided instead of polishing just the affected areas, I would do the whole car. It was due anyway....

I used a porter cable random orbital. 8". I only use Menzerna polishes.

I start with the waffled orange pad and the M intensive polish. It's still pretty mild as far as polishes go. Takes off light scratches and paint marring. Leaves the finish slightly duller than you started. Then I moved to the white waffle pad and their fine polish. This doesn't do much for scratches but it does bring the shine back up. The final step is the wax/sealant of your choice. They all don't last in FL heat, so it's completely up to you what you use. They all suck for the most part. I hand apply whatever wax I'm using and then use the orbital with a smooth white pad to pull it off. One panel at a time. Then a final wipe down of the entire car with a clean microfiber towel.

Clear bra responds the same way as paint. Polish, wax, looking good. It's obviously a lot more delicate so you can't use any intense compounds etc... You can't polish off any deep scratches etc because it's plastic. However, light marring and swirls do come out of clear bra. Personally I don't go too crazy on the CB because it never looks as good as bare paint and it is somewhat "disposable".

I swear by the Menzerna polishes. Great stuff. Been using it for years. When I looked at the car before starting it had light scratches all over it from normal wear and tear. They're all, for the most part, gone now. They will come back eventually, but I try to minimize stuff like that by drying it with a leaf blower, using clean towels, etc...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I just squirt onto a rag and wipe off the rubber streak. Works well on the vinyl wrap and really well on the paint. Car looks like it's been attacked by a grade 3 class with black crayons after every race. So far one bottle has lasted for about 12 track days and still counting. Previously I had 3M on the front and damaged it with adhesive remover. Some of the spray on degreasers around the shop work well too but I'm concerned about their eventual effect on the wrap...
What happened to the wrap after using the 3m adhesive remover? I have a huge can in the garage I was debating on using.

I just can't get the factory clear bra on the rear fenders clear. It's almost as if it's permanently stained from the tire marks. I lightened it up some, but there are still tons of marks on there that just won't come out no matter what I do....
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brim
I really like the idea of an multi-use piece of vinyl to cover the bumper and perhaps rear haunches. Where do you get that material?
There is guy locally that was toying with the idea of making black rear fender protectors ala speedster. We were supposed to put them on my car months ago for a promotional thing for me. The weather sucked so we never got around to it.

I emailed him again this morning to see if he is still marketing them.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is the stuff you want (R3= Race Rubber Remover)

https://store.mothers.com/product_in...d=230&cPath=13
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I think this is the stuff you want (R3= Race Rubber Remover)

https://store.mothers.com/product_in...d=230&cPath=13
+1. The Mother's Rep was out at Cal Speedway last month handing out bottles of that stuff for racers to try. I've got a trailer door full of every possible cleaner and rubber remover previouslymentioned here and this new stuff from Mothers is by far the best I've tried yet. It's very easy to use and leaves a polished surface when you're done....
Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
+1. The Mother's Rep was out at Cal Speedway last month handing out bottles of that stuff for racers to try. I've got a trailer door full of every possible cleaner and rubber remover previouslymentioned here and this new stuff from Mothers is by far the best I've tried yet. It's very easy to use and leaves a polished surface when you're done....
Sounds like the same stuff as their marine/rv black streak remover -- works well, no elbow grease, leaves a wax/polish/sealant ... also keeps the brake dust loose. Maybe they've improved it in this RRR product for tire rubber.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

WD40 sprayed on a microfiber will easily remove rubber from any surface with minimum pressure. Not sure how it will react on clearbra. That being said, this Mothers product looks like the "right" product for the job.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeffs Workstatt strong prime does the trick

Old 05-12-2011, 05:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I have a guy that usually comes by. He charges like $30 and does a total exterior clean. You can't beat the price and he does nice work.

He's not around lately, so it looks like I'll be doing it myself. Those rubber marks are pretty persistent.

What's the easiest way to get the paint clean?
i use GooOff product, from homedepot, orange-smell orange stuff. works wonders usually.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was using carburator cleaner sprayed on a cloth with WD 40 before I ran across Mother's R3. It really, really works well even on a beat up race car like mine.....
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I've never used soft scrub on the boat, so no worries there. We do use the hack out of the magic eraser though. Especially for scuffs on the gel coat. We do use it on the seats from time to time. Didn't know it would ruin the UV coating.

Not to get totally off track, but what do you suggest then?
I ruined my whole interior on my 38 Fountain with a box of Magic Eracers...it was easy to do. Had the whole freakin boat reupholstered early this year.

I use soap and water and 303 vinyl cleaner on the seats and re-apply 303 to them and cover them. After I did what I did I talked to vinyl manufactures and professional upholstry people nothing is toughing my seats again uless it is mild sopa and water and 303 products. This is what I used on my other boats but my wifes crazy sister suggested the stupid magic eracers.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I just saw an add in Racer Magazine for Mother R3. It says it removes track mung without harming the finish. Anyone know where to get this stuff?

I'd like to buy some bottles and set up shop at my next DE if this stuff works!

Quick Reply: What the best way to get track mung off?