Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who's ordering an RS 4.0? (Questions on options)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 AM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who's ordering an RS 4.0? (Questions on options)

I'm lucky enough to get an allocation. Need to finalize my spec, and have a few questions:

1) A/C and Audio delete - although I'm tempted to do this, wouldn't it be better to simply remove the components and box them up for possible future use? Porsche doesn't give any financial incentive to specify these options (I know Adam has espoused this viewpoint).

2) Option 78 Black full leather - in the .1 models, specifying this option paradoxically resulted in _more_ alcantara in the interior. Anybody know if this is still true?

3) Several people have mentioned decal delete, but I don't see it in the microsite. Would love to take advantage of it if available.

I'll be contacting my dealer today with these same questions. However, I find the Rennlist community to be better (and more promptly!) informed.

Thanks in advance!

BerryS
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i'd get a/c -- easier to purge the refrigerant and remove the compressor (90% of the weight of the system) than to have a car without the a/c plumbing. There's few regions in the USA where the climate would allow for no a/c. There is no measurable performance gain, it would only be a "purist" advantage.

I'd go with black full leather -- it's "free" on the 4.0 and the weight penalty is a trivial couple of pounds inside the wheelbase. Full leather really goes a long way to making the cabin look like it's in a $150-200K car. There used to be additional Alcantara on the doors -- that was not true for the 2RS, so I'd guess it's also true that every 3RS already has the Alcantara on the doors. In red for the 4.0 ... I'd leave the red in the cabin and just pull out the red seat cushions to tone it done.

There's no decal delete option (yet) but I'd leave the stripes on. I'd consider removing the "PORSCHE" from the wing (or just leave the wing in the garage altogether.)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BerryS
I'm lucky enough to get an allocation. Need to finalize my spec, and have a few questions:

1) A/C and Audio delete - although I'm tempted to do this, wouldn't it be better to simply remove the components and box them up for possible future use? Porsche doesn't give any financial incentive to specify these options (I know Adam has espoused this viewpoint).

2) Option 78 Black full leather - in the .1 models, specifying this option paradoxically resulted in _more_ alcantara in the interior. Anybody know if this is still true?

3) Several people have mentioned decal delete, but I don't see it in the microsite. Would love to take advantage of it if available.

I'll be contacting my dealer today with these same questions. However, I find the Rennlist community to be better (and more promptly!) informed.

Thanks in advance!

BerryS
In my own case I have found myself using the audio and nav in my RS, so I would definitely get these. The most frequently used feature for me has been front axle lift.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 AM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with radio delete and low weight headlights, full leather (black), and possibly the black wheels.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks in advance!

BerryS
I am seeing a dealer tonight for a potential order. Leaning toward Full leather (I agree with previous poster that it is appropriate in a 200k car), Front axle lift, PCCB, Nav. But I will be interested to see what is published in the order guide vs. the Porsche car configurator. Biggest question is trade allowance for my 11 RS with 2k miles.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I would never get full leather again.

For track (with windows down) dirt gets everywhere and it is a pain to clean the dash

For future.....I think the dash will eventually peel (long term)

My first 997 Gt3 had full leathr and new one does not have it. I will never have full leather again

Dont do AC delete, just remove components

I have radio delete, it is appropriate for the car. Less is more
Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

I
On the US configurator it's Option 63 and it does upgrade the lower dash and door insert to alcantara.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
On the US configurator it's Option 63 and it does upgrade the lower dash and door insert to alcantara.
The configurator is not reliable at this level of detail. I saw a non-full-leather GT2 RS and it already had Alcantara on the lower dash (then again, does that include all the lower dash or just the glovebox?) as for the door insert, it was black Alcantara and the armrest was, in this case, black Alcantara as an option (free to delete the ***** house red velour look.) The 4.0 microsite shows a vinyl lower dash in front of the driver, but I think it's still Alcantara on the glovebox (around the plastic n of 600 plaque.) I'd go with full leather -- it's free, it's not heavy and I haven't had trouble cleaning it with just a microfiber cloth and a vacuum cleaner.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Berry,

for others to suggest your order, you need to tell us whether your RS is >90% track use, tow vs driven to track, or less than 50% track use, or mainly street use. Answers to these questions will significantly alter the option lists. Congrats anyway.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,153 Likes on 594 Posts

I would agree to keep the AC

and full leather- assuming you get more alcantara. as said it really classes up the cabin a lot and doesn't really add weight in the sense of adaptive sport seats or front lift
Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

you need to tell us whether your RS is >90% track use, tow vs driven to track, or less than 50% track use, mainly street use or will be bubble wrapped.
Tim fixed it for ya.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Porsche goes to great lengths to make the RS light. So, why order full leather, Nav., and other stuff? I would order the a/c, maybe even skip the tunes and certainly skip the headlight washers and other junk.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 AM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Hey Berry,

for others to suggest your order, you need to tell us whether your RS is >90% track use, tow vs driven to track, or less than 50% track use, or mainly street use. Answers to these questions will significantly alter the option lists. Congrats anyway.
Tim, I plan on using the car ~50% track/street. However, I anticipate total mileage per year to be <1500. No plans on towing it (yet), but in the future, who knows?

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Tim fixed it for ya.
LOL. Nobody's a bigger bubble wrapper than me.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
i'd get a/c -- easier to purge the refrigerant and remove the compressor (90% of the weight of the system) than to have a car without the a/c plumbing. There's few regions in the USA where the climate would allow for no a/c. There is no measurable performance gain, it would only be a "purist" advantage.

I'd go with black full leather -- it's "free" on the 4.0 and the weight penalty is a trivial couple of pounds inside the wheelbase. Full leather really goes a long way to making the cabin look like it's in a $150-200K car. There used to be additional Alcantara on the doors -- that was not true for the 2RS, so I'd guess it's also true that every 3RS already has the Alcantara on the doors. In red for the 4.0 ... I'd leave the red in the cabin and just pull out the red seat cushions to tone it done.

There's no decal delete option (yet) but I'd leave the stripes on. I'd consider removing the "PORSCHE" from the wing (or just leave the wing in the garage altogether.)
You think just like I do. I had the full leather interior in my .1RS, and it really made a difference in the entire feel of the cabin. Much more elegant, classy feeling than the standard materials in my 987. I'm hoping it's durable, as I plan on keeping the car for several years. I have heard that Porsche used to have problems with the leather warping/separating in past years, so hopefully they've solved this problem. Plus, it's free this time around. Just wasn't sure if it made a difference with the amount of alcantara in the interior. Oh, and I'll be going all-black on the inside. I agree with your description of "*****-house red."

Thanks for all of the feedback!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd go with options. Lots of options It's an expensive car, it should feel like one. The additional weight may translate into 10th's of a second on the track, but since neither you nor I are being paid to race (at least I'm not), and the options really add to the enjoyment when off track. I can't imagine driving on the car on the street without AC or radio. JMO...

This is my 3rd pcar with full leather. No problems with any of the fit and finish (knock on wood).
Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

I love the "***** house red"! Then again I love ***** houses...

Quick Reply: Who's ordering an RS 4.0? (Questions on options)