Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Center lock will be changed by dealers soon

Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks for the comments.

skl - 151 mph with late braking is the fastest I saw. With smoother, more controlled driving, it's about 142-145 mph.

Guys, do you know if Porsche will contact us for the CL change or is it something we have to be proactive about?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:01 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
Hi Gents,

I am finding this all a little vague. Can someone please explain the precise details of what Porsche plans to do?

For me personally, I did not like the idea of the CL wheels since before I put my order in. In fact I even asked through my dealer if I could get regular old 5 lug wheels on my ordered GT3 to no avail. However, once I took delivery of my GT3 I tried to embrace the new era of CL's, ordered the proper tools (expensive and bulky) and learned the proper skills to deal with them. I have not had a problem using and living with them by utilizing the original specifications (tq 500 Nm - 370 ftlbs), street and track.

This does not mean that I like the way they work....oh no! Actually, I completely despise them; they look ridiculous and they are a complete pain in the *** to deal with, and I am a very handy guy and change wheels very often for street and track sets. They are truly a gimmick in my opinion.

Then last year the tech bulletin from Porsche came out with new instructions and tq values. Far enough for the track....but what gets me angry is that this information should have been sent to me directly from Porsche or my Porsche Dealer; it was not, and that is very irresponsible - heard through Rennlist (thanks guys!). Also, at that time Porsche should have been sending out new wheel nuts to everyone with the correct (new) tq spec printed on them - free of change.

Now this new horse**** - if true, hopefully Porsche will step up and do the right thing for owners. If they don't I might just convert back to 5 lug on my own, so that I can really enjoy my car the way it should have been in the first place - no nonsense, and no f-ing gimmicks. Who wants a good deal on the CL hardware and two sets of wheels?

Just my two cents.

Cheers!
Doug N.
I'll take your wheels!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:45 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 530 Posts

I've only had my car for 2 weeks and have been too busy to play with it much yet, but my son and I took the wheels off just to play with the CL's and to clean and wax the wheels and brake calipers. Got the breaker and torque wrenchs from Tooltopia and didn't think it was THAT big a deal, even the first time. Not sure yet what all the whining is about...
Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

I agree ^^
Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

No big deal, no real advantage either. So a bit gimmicky.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:00 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
I've only had my car for 2 weeks and have been too busy to play with it much yet, but my son and I took the wheels off just to play with the CL's and to clean and wax the wheels and brake calipers. Got the breaker and torque wrenchs from Tooltopia and didn't think it was THAT big a deal, even the first time. Not sure yet what all the whining is about...
I suggest you read my commentary again and do a search on all of the fun and games with the CL's .....I have no problem with the way the wheels work.....I have problem with Porsche's need to change instructions and re-design. My nose tells me there is likely something wrong......time with tell.

Doug N.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Whatever redesign is to make it street friendly and u go on track there's a blackbox in there telling dealers- "warranty denied!!". Mike
Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
+1

You will notice that the majority of the whining is from those who don't have a later car with CLs.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
+1

You will notice that the majority of the whining is from those who don't have a later car with CLs.

Well you don't need to own a street C/L equipped car, to notice that this is a marketing derived option that ads nothing but trouble.

It has no real advantage but the "race look". In addition to that it seems that the the first units were kind of a badly executed test version. (torque spec change, caps that don't stay on or won't come off in one piece, wheel change procedure, etc).

Add to the above the need to buy a torque wrench and breaker bar, and if you want to change them alone a brake depressor, stands etc and it's easy to reach a verdict.

Money and resources spent redesigning the well proven 5 lug setup, could have been used to address more important issues that haunt these cars back from 1999.

just saying..
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks "911Slow"..........finally back to the true topic at hand! Porsche's poor execution of street going CL's (technical and marketing).

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Money and resources spent redesigning the well proven 5 lug setup, could have been used to address more important issues that haunt these cars back from 1999.
You mean like equipping these cars with an LSD that doesn't suck? but we have enough threads about that.

Personally, I don't mind the CLs as I've mentioned in other threads. It's gimmicky, doesn't offer any advantage, and I miss being able to use my rechargeable impact wrench, but in the end I've enjoyed tinkering with it and appreciate that Porsche has made an effort to give weekend warriors like me a taste of that "racing technology" no matter how flawed this particular implementation may be. It's interesting enough to be worth it and if anything it has forced me to pay more attention to details when doing the tedious chores in the paddock like swapping wheels or brakes.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Was thinking about getting an extra set of the black ones from Suncoast- maybe I'll hold off for a while.
too late for me I already have a set!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I've already paid for a second set that I use with track wheels... Hope they'll be replacing those at no charge also...

Seriously though, what can they possibly change? I'd be betting the only thing changing is the torque spec on the face which is currently at 500Nm and not high enough for track use thus making them somewhat liable considering they haven't even formally communicated the new setting to customers in writing...
we should be so lucky ...
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Well you don't need to own a street C/L equipped car, to notice that this is a marketing derived option that ads nothing but trouble.

It has no real advantage but the "race look". In addition to that it seems that the the first units were kind of a badly executed test version. (torque spec change, caps that don't stay on or won't come off in one piece, wheel change procedure, etc).

Add to the above the need to buy a torque wrench and breaker bar, and if you want to change them alone a brake depressor, stands etc and it's easy to reach a verdict.

just saying..
This is the exact type of whining I was referring to...

If you owned one, you could talk from experience. I've owned mine for almost a year and a half, am on my 3rd set of tires, second set of brakes, have done 15 track days and have no issues. In fact, neither of the Porsche dealers or Ruf make an issue about them. It doesn't cost me any more or take any longer to have tires or brakes changed. Keep talking yourself out of it, while I keep enjoying mine.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Does not seem that PCNA will replace the CL under warrenty....dealers will gladly order them for $273 each, they ship from Germany.....
Anyone else has a differnt answer? please share the facts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center lock will be changed by dealers soon