Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sebring stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sebring stuff

So, did my first track day in the Porker at Sebring last weekend with Chin. Had an absolute ball and thanks to you all at the forum for info on tire pressures, PSM settings etc. Seemed to work a treat. What a step up from a lightly modified M-Coupe wow!

I do have a question on alignment and tire wear. I seem to have worn the rears pretty seriously on the outer edges. The rest of the tire looks like it has been abused at the track but is worn OK. I'm bone stock. Is it possible to add camber to the rear and if so, does anyone have any advice on how much and who could do it for me in the Palm Beach area. This is not my DD car, it's for track fun only (except that I lick it every night before bed).

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

What car were u in....i was there

My advise, based on toyo ra1

2.5 front, minimal to zero to out
1.8 rear, .5 degrees total toe rear

I ran 2.5rear and corded rears in two days

Coming to pboc next weekend?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Alignment all depends on car, track, tires, suspension, driving style/ how advanced you are. Give us those answers and we can help guide you.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, which car were you driving ?
Randy sounds about right, but everything depends on the car and tires.
I was there also, are you going this next weekend ?
Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
So, did my first track day in the Porker at Sebring last weekend with Chin. Had an absolute ball and thanks to you all at the forum for info on tire pressures, PSM settings etc. Seemed to work a treat. What a step up from a lightly modified M-Coupe wow!

I do have a question on alignment and tire wear. I seem to have worn the rears pretty seriously on the outer edges. The rest of the tire looks like it has been abused at the track but is worn OK. I'm bone stock. Is it possible to add camber to the rear and if so, does anyone have any advice on how much and who could do it for me in the Palm Beach area. This is not my DD car, it's for track fun only (except that I lick it every night before bed).

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

I was in a 997.2 GT3, white with ceramics, dynamic engine mounts, OEM tires and wheels. Thanks for any help.

So you corded the rears in two track days Izzone? or two days of street driving?

How advannced am I. Great question. I have had quite a lot of track time but not in this car and only been to Sebring once. Driving style....naturally flamboyant, too sideways but trying manfully to tame that tendency, especially in this car.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
I was in a 997.2 GT3, white with ceramics, dynamic engine mounts, OEM tires and wheels. Thanks for any help.

So you corded the rears in two track days Izzone? or two days of street driving?

How advannced am I. Great question. I have had quite a lot of track time but not in this car and only been to Sebring once. Driving style....naturally flamboyant, too sideways but trying manfully to tame that tendency, especially in this car.
Corded shaved (2/32") RA1 in two days......lust two DE's, zero street

One reccomendation.....if you do more than a few DE's a year or start driving Sebring at a decent clip remove those ceramic brakes and install steel. Sebring is terrible on brakes and will ruin those brakes in no time. You could sell them for a decent price and buy proper rotors

I have driven both; steel stops just as good, modulates better and running costs are much, much less

If you saw the 2010 RS that left in a box on Saturday....ceramic brakes. Not sure if it is a coorelation but two ceramic brake cars have had ice mode at Sebring this year.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What Happened

Originally Posted by Izzone
Corded shaved (2/32") RA1 in two days......lust two DE's, zero street

One reccomendation.....if you do more than a few DE's a year or start driving Sebring at a decent clip remove those ceramic brakes and install steel. Sebring is terrible on brakes and will ruin those brakes in no time. You could sell them for a decent price and buy proper rotors

I have driven both; steel stops just as good, modulates better and running costs are much, much less

If you saw the 2010 RS that left in a box on Saturday....ceramic brakes. Not sure if it is a coorelation but two ceramic brake cars have had ice mode at Sebring this year.
Randy,

I was @ Sebring last weekend and saw the skid marks throught the grass, ending @ the concrete barrier ... The crash was a result if "ice mode"? Driver was ok? Sorry for the highjack, just curious.

Regards, Dave
Old 05-07-2011, 10:20 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I remember you, fast car btw. I dont know about ice mode, we usually dont see skid marks thru the tarmac and grass when you have no brakes. Just my thoughts. Its easy to upset the car at that point.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I remember you, fast car btw. I dont know about ice mode, we usually dont see skid marks thru the tarmac and grass when you have no brakes. Just my thoughts. Its easy to upset the car at that point.
Thanks, I definitely remember you ... You passed me on the back strait and I was amazed @ the acceleration rate, awesome GT2!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

So, would more rear negative camber even out my tire wear issue and if so, what is a reasonable amount?

Once I bought the car and started reading this forum and others I realized that the ceramics may not be the best for the track. I also seemed to read that it was the last gen ceramics that mainly had issues and I hope that the pads on the .2 ceramics are a little kinder on the rotors.

Anyway, I am a bit bull headed and I spent the darn money on them so I (ME) am going to be the one to turn them into desk ornaments if anyone is. I refuse to sell them cheap to someone else. They seem to work well and I have no track issues with modulation. If I do manage to **** em quick at the track, then it's time for some steel Brembos...
Old 05-07-2011, 04:01 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
Thanks, I definitely remember you ... You passed me on the back strait and I was amazed @ the acceleration rate, awesome GT2!
tks, besides tune and exhaust the car is stock power wise. It makes 465whp. A lot less than most people think.

Quick Reply: Sebring stuff