Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I continue to lose sleep,...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just got it, keep it and enjoy it for a little while.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
First problem - you have too much time on your hands (and maybe too much money). Enjoy the car you have for heaven sakes. You just got it.

Secondly problem - you seem like the person who wants what he doesn't have. Again, you have a great road and track car. Enjoy it.

Save your money, the upgrade to an RS now won't be exponential, and get the 991 RS when it's out.

Can't believe you are losing sleep over this.
... or get a 997.2 3.8 or 4.0 RS when someone "upgrades" to the 991 ... which may or may not be better than the 997 or even exist!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
You just got it, keep it and enjoy it for a little while.
+1
Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

+2
Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
That RS has a story, however for the right price it would be a good buy as long as the title is not salvage...
The impact was not tub threatening. bumpers, fenders, paint, wheels, misc.... As much of a hit as one would tolerate for repair if the price was right.
If this car has salvage title, its fate will be a PCA stripper in L or GT class.

for 129k they are dreaming.
For 100k they would be in the game for a low mile insurance repair.

For the OP, the 997.2 you have now is a classy ride for daily use in the city without attracting too much attention. Which i sometimes wish i had

A few mods such as toes, seats and roll bar are the only things you will ever need and can always be sold separate when the time comes, even if moving up to a RS. Matter of fact, the toes and bar can be carried over to the RS anyhow, so no real money lost once you resell the seats and factor in a little labour between the two cars

So i would proceed with current car now for this season, and keep you eyes pealed march 2012 for a used RS in a stealthy color for next summer.

Most likely see 997.2RS in USA for 110-115k for spring 2012.

With June around the corner i wouldnt expect the selection of RS porsche to be all that good, nor the asking prices in the peak of the season.

Besides, the packing around it would take to located and buy a RS and then try and sell your current 997.2 will eat into your summer enjoyment of track season.

Come September 2011, put out the vibe that your 997.2 is available for sale..... try n move it early so you can begin christmas shopping for RS
This is the best advise you can get. Nail hit on the head.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

you have a very nice car. color, options, etc. i'm pretty sure the gt3 is just as good as the rs 3.8 and rs 4.0. do you think you can drive the rs to its fullest potential?

enjoy your car... BUT if you have an itch to scratch then just do it. why lose sleep over a few pennies. you're not getting any younger are you? do it once and do it right.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by firefisher
This is the best advise you can get. Nail hit on the head.
TOTALLY AGREED - thanks again Tom for helping me with all the angles!

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Also, another thing to consider is that your GT3 @ 99k plus 10k of upgrades compared to a used RS for 120k has a difference of approx 10k.

the other considerations of a RS purchase would be additional shipping charge, possible duty charge if from USA and listing fees to sell the non RS....

10k spread jumps to 20k.......

Would love to see you in RS however
Done. I love this car and will spend a few bucks on mods for it. I initially decided on the 7.2 GT3 because it makes a better DD and is more understated than the RS. Just had a good reminder of that.

Tom said it best when I should enjoy the track season and consider a move in the off season. I wish I could plan for a host of track days, but my schedule is a bit unpredictable.

Appreciate the well-thought out advice.

Quick Reply: I continue to lose sleep,...