Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

It takes a man to admit it -- right? Reversed Polarity !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:53 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy It takes a man to admit it -- right? Reversed Polarity !!!

Okay, this is the most stupid thing I have ever done on one of my cars. I am 49 and have had 14 motorcycles and umpteen cars, and have NEVER done this until now, and on my 130K GT3 of course (not my 1971 Type 3 VW, which I would have preferred):

I left my radar detector on, and 3 weeks later, when I went to drive my 2010 GT3, the battery was dead. After using my 700A jumper box to open the hood (rediculous), I hooked it up to the battery to start my car. In seconds I ruined the jumper box, and realized what I had done. Of course I had reversed the polarity.

I charged the battery at 4A for 12h, and now at 1A for then next 12-18h. So, my question is, assuming the battery takes a charge, and the car starts, in addition to having my alternator checked, what else should I be concerned about?

Thanks in advance, and while I don't deserve it, try to be gentle.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:04 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a EE, so I am guessing there is a BIG reversal protection Diode system so only the front part should be burnt.
Check with your dealer but I am guessing in this day and age you SHOULD be OK

Have a cup of coffee before you do that again or feel free to call me.

I was charging a battery for a RC helicopter I fly and it caught fire in my house!!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Holy cow I should be glad I don't have a helicopter!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I was charging a battery for a RC helicopter I fly and it caught fire in my house!!!!
This is hysterical.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I touched positive and negative terminal with socket wrench when loosening bolt- what a shock. Mike
Old 05-01-2011, 03:47 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Well, the battery took a charge, and when I measure across the terminals while running, I get 14.7 v, so the generator is working. The radio doesn't work, but I think that is just from having a dead battery and needing to input the codes to reset it. However, the driver's side tire pressure monitors don't work, and more worrisome--the sport suspension button doesn't light when pushed and there is a PASM error light on the dash. The sport exhaust button does light and work, as do the winshield wipers. I am still hoping for the best.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:06 PM
rlips
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Well, the battery took a charge, and when I measure across the terminals while running, I get 14.7 v, so the generator is working. The radio doesn't work, but I think that is just from having a dead battery and needing to input the codes to reset it. However, the driver's side tire pressure monitors don't work, and more worrisome--the sport suspension button doesn't light when pushed and there is a PASM error light on the dash. The sport exhaust button does light and work, as do the winshield wipers. I am still hoping for the best.

Those sound like normal things after a dead battery. I think it needs to a visit to the dealer and a PWIS hookup.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:33 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply, and boy I hope you are correct.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I think on a car this new you should be fine. The car has protections against doing any real damage. I did this on my 964 several years ago and it fried the all the wiring to the alternator.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had my fair share of 997's and flat batteries, but the radio/nav never complained and I don't even know if there is an antitheft code any more, it's just keyed to the DME. TPMS is a matter of driving and letting the sensors make averages. Suspension button does many things and will be in a sort of "wait and see" state until the engine restarts once or twice, same with PSM and PSE.

I'd just be mindful that stability control and ABS could both be on the fritz until the dash is clear of warnings. As noted, a visit to the clinic might be necessary if the car doesn't heal itself pretty much straight away.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

My plan is to check the fuses tomorrow, drive it--including several stops and re-starts to get the engine checks to go through a few cycles, then to the dealer for a full check. I will make the first few stops very close to my house (like in the driveway) to be sure there is no issue with the re-starts. It has been raining for days, and supposed to be clear tomorrow. I have just rewaxed all of the track rubber streaks off of my car, and it is spotless. I will re-post the findings.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

You should be fine!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

You can damage the DME when you do this - and the effects are not immediately obvious.

I bought my car from a dealer in Ohio. Careful check and followup by my own mechanic. The car ran fine until my first time on the track. Hard accelerating with sustained revs above 6K through the gears for more than 10-15 seconds and the engine would cut off (twist the key and restart). The car had been in the showroom. I called the dealer and asked - any chance you had to jump start the car after it had been sitting there? Yup.. I am sure they reversed the polarity and from what other Porsche mech's have said, its an easy way to screw up the DME.. The DME was replaced under warranty.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I can figure out if Tthe DME is damaged before I get to the track? I took the car out today, and everything worked, and reset itself, except the radio. It won't come on. I checked most of the fuses, and all okay. I will check the fusebox diagram and go straight to the radio fuse next.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I can figure out if Tthe DME is damaged before I get to the track? I took the car out today, and everything worked, and reset itself, except the radio. It won't come on. I checked most of the fuses, and all okay. I will check the fusebox diagram and go straight to the radio fuse next.
That's why God invented 2nd gear and on-ramps.

Quick Reply: It takes a man to admit it -- right? Reversed Polarity !!!