Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Track Modifications

I think I'll be doing 3-5 track days per year and I am using this car as my DD lately (more fuel efficient than my ISF).

I bought Jason's Schroth 6pt Harness and now considering a few things:

1. GT2 Cloth Seat(s). I would like one seat and can't justify 2 seats. Most if the events will be me driving without a passenger. Is it odd to have one seat only? How long does it take to swap seats? Anything extra I will need?

2. Roll cage. Looking for something behind the front seats. Totally open to options. Want one that will be able to fix a camera on easily in the middle. Least amount of modifying/cutting OEM parts will be good.

3. Akrapovic Race Exhaust. Doubtful, but thinking about this. Is it a significant upgrade in weight savings and power compared to the Sharkwerks center muffler delete? Opinions appreciated.

4. Anything else? I don't want to spend much more on the car as I would rather just upgrade to an RS. i have to stop looking at CF mirrors, wings and hoods.

Links, pricing, recommendations appreciated!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you've mastered all there is to know about driving, I would encourage a matched set of front seats and harnesses...

Roll cage and potentially fixed back seats will limit use of rear area (ie, whatever won't fit in the trunk or passenger seat likely then won't fit in back. As a "DD", this may become an annoyance.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

For 3-5 track days a year you could just leave it and you will be more comfortable using it as a DD.

The grey RS in TX is nice and has everything in it already. Why not just buy that one so I can stop dreaming about it?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

For 3-5 track days per year, I would forget everything but the safety stuff, the seats and harnesses. Buy a set of 996 GT3 seats with sliders, etc ($2200) and a DAS bar (I forget - $800?), install your harnesses, get a track alignment and you are good to go. Keep your stock seats to reinstall when you sell the car and buy the RS.

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I think I'll be doing 3-5 track days per year and I am using this car as my DD lately (more fuel efficient than my ISF).

I bought Jason's Schroth 6pt Harness and now considering a few things:

1. GT2 Cloth Seat(s). I would like one seat and can't justify 2 seats. Most if the events will be me driving without a passenger. Is it odd to have one seat only? How long does it take to swap seats? Anything extra I will need?

2. Roll cage. Looking for something behind the front seats. Totally open to options. Want one that will be able to fix a camera on easily in the middle. Least amount of modifying/cutting OEM parts will be good.

3. Akrapovic Race Exhaust. Doubtful, but thinking about this. Is it a significant upgrade in weight savings and power compared to the Sharkwerks center muffler delete? Opinions appreciated.

4. Anything else? I don't want to spend much more on the car as I would rather just upgrade to an RS. i have to stop looking at CF mirrors, wings and hoods.

Links, pricing, recommendations appreciated!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id definitely go with GT2 seats before I'd ever buy an Akra system. Yes to seats, yes to bar, yes to harness. SW track exhaust if bypass isn't loud enough for you, good alignment and some rear links and you'll be good. Spend the rest of your money on some seat time.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

SSTHO, remember you have thorax side air bags in your stock seats...and the GT2 Sport Buckets you are talking about come with the same air bags in the seat. This will be extremely important if you drive the car on the street as you are indicating because your car was federally certified with the air bags in the seats. If you go with a 996GT3 seat or aftermarket seat which do not have the air bags in the seat and get into an accident on the street the insurance company lawyers will have a field day with you.

3-5 DE's a year I'd just keep it stock or if you can stand the GT2 Sport Buckets get those with a rear roll bar and 6 point harness...both passenger and driver.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Bernie930
Racer

SSTHO,
Seats are great, akrapo. exhaust too much$$$, spend $$$ on rs29 or p50 brake pads, setup and proper dual purpose alignment. CUP shift cables will change your shift feel beyond belive. A proper reworked factory diff or guard or pmna unit will really change the handling to the better.
Hope this helps
Bernie
Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

What track day groups are you thinking of running with? The local PCA group requires equal restraints for both front occupants so if you will be using a 6-pt harness with the proper seat, then the passenger (instructor) needs that too.

From the local rules:

■Equal Restraints: Both student and instructor shall have the same restraint system. All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed lap and shoulder restraint system.

Cheers,
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

I'd do Seats, Harness, Roll Bar, LSD re-build by Guard, Track Alignment, 2nd set of Wheels/Tires
Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I'd do Seats, Harness, Roll Bar, LSD re-build by Guard, Track Alignment, 2nd set of Wheels/Tires
exactly this and then wait for a used sw bypass to pop up etc if you want more sound...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

he already got sw...
maybe he can get track one?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Here is what you should do:

Buy the set of cloth GT2 seats that are listed here on rennlist for sale.
Try them out for the summer track season, and after track season switch back to stock.
if you like them, install them again for another track season.

GT2 seats are a commodity here and will always be worth money if you decide to sell them again.
I bought my GT2 seats used 3 years ago for $4500 and would get that money back today if i decided to sell.

Bottom line, you cant go wrong with a good used set of GT2 buckets.

As to roll bar, you want the OEM Porsche Tequipment bar. No cutting. No fuss. And factory.

For exhaust, you have the Sharkwerks which is the best all round exhaust. Dont bother with anything else as the cost involved is money down the toilet for the actual weight savings and performance gains.

As long a you have SRF brake fluid, Pagid brake pads and a nice corner balanced track alignment you will have a responsive track car that doubles as a great grand tourer/Daily driver.

For the track alignment, get yourself a pair of rear toe links to hold that alignment longer:

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Why do you want cloth or leather GT2 seats? Just wondering.....thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Buy the set of cloth GT2 seats that are listed here on rennlist for sale.
Try them out for the summer track season, and after track season switch back to stock.
if you like them, install them again for another track season.....Bottom line, you cant go wrong with a good used set of GT2 buckets.
[/url]
Those seats sold in about 2 hours, days ago....
Suncoast=~$6,000

Can anyone elaborate on the toe-link feel before, and after? Seems like a common short-list item for the track? thx.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

I am leaning towards the GT2 seats, harnesses, and Tequipment roll cage. Thanks for the input everyone.

I am having a tough time doing these upgrades as I think I should just go for an RS at that point... there's always something newer and greater and I might just save funds for down the road. I am just so in love with this 997.2 GT3 still!

As wogamax is asking,... I would like to know more about these rear toe links too.

Quick Reply: Track Modifications