Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need detail advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need detail advice

This is my first post but Ive been lurking since November when I traded in my 09 C2 and acquired my 11GT3...

Never had a black car but it was allocated to my dealer and 'on the boat' when I got a serious itch to upgrade. The old car was white as I prefer and I never washed it myself- always had the detailer do it. I think this color needs my personal attention tho and since I dont DD it I may as well enjoy cleaning it between track days but there lies the problem- While I have the patience and the time, I simply dont know how to properly detail this thing.

I dont mind handing it over to the pros a couple times a year but this is what I think I want to do myself-
1) wash it- I know this part- 2 buckets, 2 wash mits, dry w/waffle microfiber.
2) clay bar- Ive never done this.
3) polish- Is this step 3 or unnecessarry?
4) wax- Badly needed. I want to do this by hand and leave the buffer work for the pros when its a last resort down the line.

Surely every available product has been tried by you all and I hope that after heckling me for such a sad first post some of you will give your best advice regarding the steps I should take with a 6 month old car (w/vinyl 3m wrap), and offer suggestions/debate on product manufacturers AND specific products.

I promise pics once its photo-worthy again so thanks in advance for everybodys help!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Can you clarify point # 3 please?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 PM
number 9
Racer

I ran across a YouTube vid from Maguires showing how to clay bar and they suggested to apply a 'polish' afterwards and then a wax. Perhaps they're just pushing product?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM
number 9
Racer

The thing is that I don't want to have a shelf full of cleaners so I guess I'm looking for the best soap, the best clay bar, and the best wax no matter if they are all different brands. If I need a polish then so be it, I'll do that too. And the wheels... They could clean easier but I don't want to use anything harmful.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 PM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A suggestion, and stuff I use.

For starters I have a CR Spotless DIC20 DeIonizer unit that gives a super clean finish, and zero spots. Along with that I use a Gilmour Foamer FoammasterII. Soap used is Meguars Gold Classic. Sealent used is Automagic. (Used to use Zymol which was nice, but the Automagic I found lasts longer). Aerospace 303 on all exterior rubber/plastic.

Here is my routine.

I typically fill a bucket with clear water from the DIC20, no soap, and use only to rinse the sponge. Then use the Foamer (Gilmour-75QGFMR) and break it down to Hood/Roof-Tail/Left/Right...... nice thing is the foamer will cover the car section and loosen the dirt versus you taking a sponge with soap and dragging it along, plus you just dont retain enough soap on the sponge.

Then rince a section with the DIC20. (I have quick disconnects to go between the Foamer and a misting sprayer).

Sounds simple but the difference with the DIC20 was amazing, then using the foamer to apply soap, and a bucket with just DIC20 water to clean the sponge made a nice difference.

If you're gonna wax/detail........ yearly a good ClayBar works......Mequiars has a nice kit with (2) bars and a bottle of spray. Do a Wash.........then Clay......... then wax or seal.

I also use one of those MetroAirForceBlasters (the $169 one from Amazon) to blow dry the car so no towel can scratch the surface.

Last edited by kaamacat; 04-18-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Number 9,

Regarding point 1, the two bucket, sheepskin mit, waffle microfibre towel is what i use... I use the Sonus wash and it comes in a pack with the right type of mit and towel- works great. This is done every week or two and as the first step before a detail.

Point 2- i use the Sonus fine clay bar and solution (again available as a pack). This is done as step two of the detail process after the wash. Once finished you rewash the car. Note: clay bars are potentially abrasive so they are not a weekly thing. Be sure to knead the bar frequently and pick out any bits in it. To clarify, I do this when intending to reseal the duco, not after washes...

Point 3- this is only required IF you have a lot of swirl or scratch marks in your paint. If new this is not likely to be the case. Polish aplied in a straight line (front to back)- lots of polishes out there. Some of the gurus on these forums recommend Menzerna polishes but choose the one most appropriate for your task...probably an ultra fine one

Point 4- i use Klasse AIO and Klasse HGS as my cleaner/sealant and apply one a year. Some also apply a coat of wax over the top for added depth and to act as a sacrificial barrier... I use the P21...

If you maintain your sealant and/or wax layer and dont put fi e scratches in the duco, the, wash, clay, wax/seal is all you need to do... Hope this helps

Last edited by 911rox; 04-19-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

All good points above.

#2 - Clay should be done as needed, not too much. You'll find trouble spots to be behind the wheel arches where brake dust settles and embeds in the paint and on the rear bumper where exhaust and everything coming out from under the car tends to settle. It is abrasive and can slighly marr softer (porsche) paints so be very gentle, use lots of lube and go slowly. It's better to make 20 passes with clay to get something off than to make 5 agressive passes. For lube you can use a simple mix of soap and water you don't have to use the expensive stuff they sell specifically as clay lube.

#3 - Polish is as needed...which will depend on how picky you are with the car and it's paint finish. It will remove any existing wax on the car, just as clay will, so you'll be left with no protection at all.

If the car doesn't need 2 and 3 just wash and make sure you've got a good coat of wax on there.

**Most importantly, if you've got a detailer that regularly services your cars and you have questions call him and ask him to show you how to properly do these things. I love it when my clients ask me to show them how to maintain their cars to the best of their abilities. I've found it doesn't mean they're going to use my services any less, it just means the car is in better shape when I get my hands on it each time. The better it is when I start the more time I have to take it to an even higher level in the end.**
Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
sws1
Pro

Don't get normal clay. Porsche paints are too soft. (Ask me how I know.) Get the "fine clay" that Sonus makes. Much softer and won't leave scratch marks.

Don't polish unless you need to. I instead use a chemical cleaner (JW Prime) which I buff out, then apply a sealent, then wax over top. 4 years later, my car is spotless.

Of course, my process takes about 10 hours, which I only do once a year. (Wash. Clay. Wash. JW Prime. Buff Out. Acrylic coat. Buff out. Wax. Buff out)
Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 PM
number 9
Racer

You all have very shiny cars and lots of kind advice, thanks! Ive gleaned a lot from every reply and look forward to the weekend when I can get started. Ill update with some pics and what I end up using.

Quick Reply: Need detail advice