Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 as DD

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:22 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question 997.2 GT3 as DD

New to the forum. I'm considering changing my M6 for a '10 2.GT3, I'd use it as a DD so I'd like to hear from those who have also used it as DD.
I'm going couple of times/yr to the track although I thing I'd get going more often with a GT3.

I drove it and love it. Best way to describe it is hard wired to the brain. Noticeable better ride than the 997.1 GT3
Also tried a Turbo '10, not quite the same although nice. A C2 S floats! and the gearbox is not even close. GTS should be better and somehow in between but after driving the GT3 nothing comes close in term of feel.

But again, not sure about using it as DD, putting a big hit on depreciation (although I found a very nice '10 GT3 with 6k miles) and understand ownership altogether.

Experts, your comments are welcome !!!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Very different from your M6 - much better for driver connectivity and a pure driving experience. Looks like you're ready to give up some luxury for a better driving experience!

Asking this group of auto enthusiasts,... most will tell you the 997.2 GT3 is a fine DD. I will fall into that category. I love the car and can heal toe fine in my wood bottomed dress shoes. Car always brings a smile to my face!

You are making the right decision. There is nothing near the GT3 experience for the GT3 price. I have only had my 997.2 GT3 for less than a month, but I LOVE this car. I liked my 997.1 GT3 RS quite a bit and LOVED my 996.2 GT3. 997.2 is the right choice for a raw and pure driving experience. You'll grow your driving skills as you bond more with the car.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Many factors to consider, the most important being:

1) Where do you live? Climate? Road conditions? City, suburban, or rural? Common sense suggests any GT3 is never a good idea as an all-year form of transportation for anywhere that gets snow, has poor roads, and heavy traffic.
2) Will this be your only car? Easy for some here to say "it makes a great DD!" when it's not their only car. I'm one of those people. The GT3 will make a tolerable DD but you also don't want to end up hating it for doing driving tasks that it wasn't designed to do. I love my GT3 but there's been many times when daily plans with destinations come up that make me wish I brought one of my other cars instead.
3) Any plans for tracking it? If not, get a GTS instead. Much easier to live with and drive daily and nearly just as fun as a GT3 when driven on public roads at or around a sane pace. IMO, if you're not going to flog it or explore its limits in a controlled environment like a race track, you'll ultimately be happier with a GTS.

Again, I'm no expert. I'm one of those who always tries to justify driving the GT3 to almost everywhere I go, but often regrets doing so later. If the GT3 was my only car, I would've already realized my mistake less than week into ownership and promptly traded it for something more adequate. Thankfully, that's not the case, because I love this damn car.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default dd

It is designed for daily duty. a/c, cd player etc.
One thing is for sure, it is an exciting daily driver when compared to other gt cars.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
It is designed for daily duty. a/c, cd player etc.
One thing is for sure, it is an exciting daily driver when compared to other gt cars.
CD player?!

I got the CDR30 in the RS.

With the engine off it's passable.

Sure, it's exciting to drive the car. Do you want that excitement every day?
I don't but I can't tell anyone else how to go about it.

The Bluetooth is nearly useless. It's only use in my case was to tell the wife that I can't hear her too well and that I'll be coming home a bit later. Definitely not much use for meaningful conversation while on the road (possibly ok in a 20 mph zone).

For a DD I would definitely go with an M6 (M5 actually, same engine/weight/handling with more utility) over a GT3. For a weekend toy and occasional DD the GT3 can't be beat.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

My RS is not too good of a daily driver 9no radio and Track Exhaust).......for daily driver a Turbo or GTS is probably better fit

Sur eif you like driving a race car on the street GT3 is fine

If you do not plan to track, dont bother with a GT3.....you will never get to feel what the car is all about
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Some answers to the very good questions from Masmole
1. I live in Texas, so no problem with snow, etc. Lots of sun, but lots of boring straigths, mostly concrete. Suburban area, but lots of uninteresting roads. Commuting is a 48 mile round trip, sometimes with traffic but not too bad as I try to time my hours around rush hours.
2. Not the only car in the household. We're 4 driving and we have 5 cars, including a Q7 which can do the long distance driving, groceries, etc. My younger son drives my '02 E46 M3. Also a backup car (Nissan Armada) that I was planning to get rid off (maybe not having the GT3...).
3. Track, I'm going couple of times/yr with my M6. I believe I would probably go more with the GT3, she will be begging to get proper treatment and difficult to see that on the street w/o getting a monthly speeding ticket... Again I have not driven the GTS, but after driving the GT3 and back to back the C2 S, the later felt like a boat...
Thanks for the feedback so far, very useful...
Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default dd

Not sure why some folks consider a full interior porsche with license plates and warranty as a track toy only......

Compared to the days when 356 porsches were daily drivers the gt3 feels like a rolls royce. .

Seriously though, there are better daily drivers out there. But a 997.2 3 can be dailyed if the owner is a true enthusist.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 996-3 is a daily. I love it. Just watch out for the low spots and take it easy on rough roads.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
Some answers to the very good questions from Masmole
1. I live in Texas, so no problem with snow, etc. Lots of sun, but lots of boring straigths, mostly concrete. Suburban area, but lots of uninteresting roads. Commuting is a 48 mile round trip, sometimes with traffic but not too bad as I try to time my hours around rush hours.
2. Not the only car in the household. We're 4 driving and we have 5 cars, including a Q7 which can do the long distance driving, groceries, etc. My younger son drives my '02 E46 M3. Also a backup car (Nissan Armada) that I was planning to get rid off (maybe not having the GT3...).
3. Track, I'm going couple of times/yr with my M6. I believe I would probably go more with the GT3, she will be begging to get proper treatment and difficult to see that on the street w/o getting a monthly speeding ticket... Again I have not driven the GTS, but after driving the GT3 and back to back the C2 S, the later felt like a boat...
Thanks for the feedback so far, very useful...
imho gt3 is a track only car, but as of DD - you probably should be fine IF this car wil be able to pass over all driveways you usually take. if you did not drive 997 car with aerokit before - be aware that front clearence is almost non-existent. this alone is a major problem for daily driving 997 cars. it hits everything. my car has stock non-aero front that sits relatively high compared to gt3 bumper and my bumper is totally scratched down below. gt3 car will not be able to get over slightly higher than average speed bump. if you go into underground garages - same problem there.

also, a GTS car with PDK will be much better street DD car. test drive it. its motor should give you more torque in low rpm area that you will use on a street.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

+1 for gts.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I would not call a GT3 a track only car. If I wanted a track only car I'd get a Cup. It's better as a track only car. But it has it's limitations as a pure DD.

The way you described your situation a GT3 would do fine. Much better than the M6. Stop thinking about getting one and start buying.

Have fun.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Richie18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT3 is a street car first, track car second.

I say go for the GT3. Other cars do not compare, GTS included.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

The one I'm considering has the front axle lifting device, does it help? Also has all options that would make it a good DD (although I've seen that bluetooth is of no use)...
Old 04-13-2011, 01:27 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
The one I'm considering has the front axle lifting device, does it help? Also has all options that would make it a good DD (although I've seen that bluetooth is of no use)...
Axle lift does help but even with it engaged, I've still managed to hit several things with the front lip. It only goes up about an inch and there will still be many steeper ramps, driveways, and speed bumps that can't be cleared even with the axle lift. At least that's how it is here in Chicago, a concrete jungle that always challenges low-clearance cars with obstacles including its plentiful potholes. Perhaps it will be less of an issue in Texas where the climate affords better roads.

Dynamic engine mounts is also a good option to have. Standard on the RS, optional on the GT3. Although I haven't driven one without it, on paper, it's supposed to reduce NVH when driven normally and only tightens up when driven hard or flogged at the track.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 as DD