Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Video: Chasing Izzone

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Video: Chasing Izzone

You all know we had a blast at Sebring last weekend. I wanted to post another video of us driving. This is from the third session of me and Izzone driving on Saturday.

Both of us were still getting used to the car. I realized I was driving more aggressive chasing Izzone in Turn 1, Bishops and also Turn 17. After he let me in the front I slowed down for no reason

Anyways, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqDSziVqWDw

There was a lot of traffic! Hope you enjoy. Comments on my driving (mistakes) are welcome as well I need to get quicker or I may never catch Izzone ever again...
Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

nice chasing video!

top 1/3 of your video was wasted due to filming of the headliner, maybe you can fine tune your camera mount better next time.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:16 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Great video - thanks for sharing!

I really wish there was a world class track near Vancouver...
Old 04-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Staring at Geisha's @ss is not all that bad.. i could think of worse tails to look at. haha. Good, smooth and CLEAN driving! Keep it up!

This is not a critique, but basic advice on becoming faster:
Throttle is what separates fast from faster. In general, those that are on throttle more during a lap are faster (that's full throttle..). I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes it's not. Many get bogged down on other factors. But the bulk of time savings is in throttle. Second would be the line. A good line allows for more throttle. And when you start analyzing data, it becomes very clear. I though I was fast, until I overlaid my data against Sofronas' and it was a very humbling experience. The guy was on throttle way more... longer, earlier, you name it. Really shows the difference in pro vs. amateur. All I can say is push yourself and the car more. If you're not constantly balancing the car from underteer vs. oversteer and back, the car has more grip. Get comfortable controlling throttle oversteer (I would say oversteer in general.. fast hands) and start breaking up the track into sections and focus on a specific section of turn(s) each session... with a focus on gradually pushing the entry speed and more importantly, getting on the the throttle earlier out of each turn. A constant focus on more throttle will make you faster. Sure you might go through a couple pairs of undies, but you'll be faster!

I would love to drive Sebring. Lucky bastards!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

1 more comment on throttle...in general, the way I see it, there are 3 throttle categories and each one should, in general, be used in specific parts of a turn... keep in mind these are generalizations and some turn-combos, etc. require some deviation from these basic rules... but 95% of the time this holds:

1.) OFF Throttle... during braking and initial turn-in. Never coast otherwise.

2.) Maintenance Throttle... some throttle input (25% of so.. depends on turn, etc) to settle the rear after turn in and mid-turn.

3.) ON Throttle... essentially a squeeze to full throttle... from just before apex to apex and out of turn. During the squeeze, you're feeling for more throttle (based on feeling of grip available) before going full. The key is feeling grip to get FULL throttle as early as possible. And essentially you hold full until you start braking for the next turn and repeat. Don't coast while thinking about where to start braking. Have your visual reference... stay on full throttle, then OFF and immediately brake (HARD squeeze.. then ease off).

Note: for tight 2nd gear turns... you want to be OFF during braking... carry braking into turn in to pivot car and then immediately get ON throttle. No maintenance throttle required for tight 2nd gear turns.

These are very general statements and I am sure a few here are more qualified to discuss in more detail. Just thought I'd elaborate more on my prior post.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good Drive!!
I see you have in general a very good line and good skills, sebring is a track where every body has always something new to learn, you can improve your turn in at 5, I saw a couple of times that you are correcting your line at mid turn and this definitely affects your commitment and speed (mid and exit turn speed) Turn 5 is very critical in term of time loss potential in your lap.
besides what others have said, you can also try carrying more speed in to the turns, try this little by little, release the brake progressively and earlier at the end of the braking zone, try this in combination to smoother and progresive turn in, moving to a bit earlier apex .(the car will have also a better balance too) try to feel the grip and be ready to correct if necessary.
nice driving!!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliments guys! Sebring is one hell of a track for sure

Targa Tim: Sorry about the camera angle, it was done in 5 minutes I'll try to do better next time.

Laguna dude: you are absolutely correct! I should be more on the throttle in the turns. Since the car is snappy I was trying to keep her *** in check.

Given that I purchased the car and was driving at Sebring in less than 24 hours you may cut me some slack I literally picked the car up from Champion at 5 PM Friday, and drove directly to Sebring.

I wanted to get a general feeling to the car and therefore could not (actually did not) push her so much. The car tends to oversteer very quickly if you're not careful with the throttle.

Gus: Thanks for the input. You may be right, I need to check the videos again to see exactly what you mean.

Turning in early usually tends to push the car on the front. I tried it for Turn 1 and had to ease off throttle for that reason.

You guys are absolutely right! And I admit that I have a ton of stuff to learn/improve. Since this was my first day with her, I think I did alright

BTW I need Traqmate ASAP
Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

you did awesome! nice driving.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

he was hustlin' randy's new bitch and pimpin' his old one.
look out, peter - there's a new playa on your turf....lol
Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Looked great out there! Especially for a new car with limited experience at Sebring. You were hustling!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
you did awesome! nice driving.
he was hustlin' randy's new bitch and pimpin' his old one.
look out, peter - there's a new playa on your turf....lol[/QUOTE]

LOL! Thanks! I think I have a lot to learn before Peter sees me in his rear view mirror

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Looked great out there! Especially for a new car with limited experience at Sebring. You were hustling!
Thanks Andrew I did consistent 2:32's that day, it will go down slowly
Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Sin911, Again, my comments were not a critique. You look very good out there. Smooth, clean and FAST. But now that you said it, looking again, I could tell you were learning the car. Key w/997.1 are dampers and springs. The stock set up is not ideal for track. No matter what you do to camber, toe, etc. it will still have a tendency to want to snap on you mid-corner. Some blame the stock rear sway, but I had mine replaced with a beefier one before I changed dampers and springs and the issue still existed. That is a problem and does hurt confidence. A good setup can go a long way though.. And you need to have confidence to push yourself harder and safely. But if you know when it typically happens you can eliminate it to a certain extent w/some slight counter-steer input right after turn-in and as you throttle out.

I think once you get more comfortable with the car you'll be in mid-20's in no time.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

^ Don't worry so much Laguna, I welcome any critique Why would I post the video if I didn't want anyone to comment on my errors? Untill I can afford some pro-coaching I will take your free and helpful tips

I am an amateur, have 21 DE events in total so far (including Homestead and PBIR). I know what/who I am and comfortable with that. I wish to learn and get faster, if I don't get criticized and no one tells my mistakes I cannot proceed forward.

With an unfamiliar car, I do not want to correct oversteer with counter-steering. After reading and hearing all the horror stories on how .1 GT3s tend to snap and spin, I prefer to play it safe and keeping the car in one piece
Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
jenk12m
Banned

nice driving sin and it was nice to finally meet you. way to give randy a hard time in his old car. he did pick up the pace on sunday though
Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike! It was really nice to meet you as well, hope to have more meetings like this one again

It was fun keeping up with Randy, and I know this will probably be the last time I can ride his rear bumper I know you guys got more used to the cars, I will head to Homestead this weekend (my local track) to really see what the car is capable of

Quick Reply: Video: Chasing Izzone