Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hope I did no wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Arrccod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope I did no wrong

Went for the final fitting today. My GT3 has had a roll bar, race seats, harnesses and a removable steering wheel put in. I must admit looking in the car with the door open is real cooool! When i went to get in the car it was a real PITA! to get in and out of. Once in the car its a snug fit, first time using harnesses and race seats I amost feel cramped.

My first DE this year is next week, I'm anixous to try out the more "race" version now but I'm afraid I might have screwed up the car. Before is was easy access, jump in go for a cruise. Now it seems like an event just to take the car out. Is this something that will pass once i get use to entering and exiting the car?? Or has this become a strickly track car and should I just use my 930 for cruise duty?

Bill
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True us, you will be a lot happier in a car with all those modifications in the event of a wreck. It may he a pain in the *** to get in and out but that can mean the difference between life and death.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
True us, you will be a lot happier in a car with all those modifications in the event of a wreck. It may he a pain in the *** to get in and out but that can mean the difference between life and death.
First word should be "Trust". Damn auto correct.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arrccod
Went for the final fitting today. My GT3 has had a roll bar, race seats, harnesses and a removable steering wheel put in. I must admit looking in the car with the door open is real cooool! When i went to get in the car it was a real PITA! to get in and out of. Once in the car its a snug fit, first time using harnesses and race seats I amost feel cramped.
Bill
PICTURES!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes pictures to see the seats. If they are not hi sides recaros etc, verdict is that you are too soft and u need training
Old 04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You'll get used to it, just a 30-second pain, that's all
Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd also suggest a Hans device for your helmet if you don't already have one. You will be surprised to find how much easier it is to concentrate on driving when you're not having to use the steering wheel and your knees to hold you in the seat.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I dare say it won't become a strictly track car until your suspension is so stiff that you rattle your fillings when you drive it around town and or you get a trailer, whichever comes first. Until that time, it will take a little getting used to, with the new gear and all, but the mods shouldn't stop you from jumping in and going for a drive.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

The seats I put in were Kirkley Aluminum FA's (fat ***) the new 930 RSS Bar and Schroth Belts in red. Won't have interior pics till weekend.

Here is 1 pic from Sebring

Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

You will love the equipment once you put it to the test.

If you had completed a track day before the mods and then did the mods for another track day then you would really feel the difference.

What you will notice is how well the seats hold you in the corners and how well the harnesses keep you in under hard braking.
The steering wheel is really great on those tight turns under full crank.

Im surprised you went with Kirkey race seats for a street car? Would have thought recaros or GT2 seats....

For entry and exit, a race bucket is going to be a little more work getting in and out. But my GT2 buckets are not as bad as my CUP seats.

My other RS which is for sale now has stocks seats back in it, and getting in and out is a breeze. Great for commuting around town when compared to my Roll caged RS with GT2 seats.

But alas, for those track days, seats that accept harnesses are key. Otherwise you are sliding around the seat and the standard seat belt just cant keep you planted as one would like.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had my track seats and harness in the car only a short time and already I can feel that when I use just the factory 3-point belts, I feel almost totally unsecured in the car compared to the harness.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
va122
Drifting

just change the seat out for track days, doesn't take very long. I would get a recaro for double duty, much more comfortable then the Kirky IMHO
Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

The big issue with the seats is the FA part!

Bill
Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The "high-side" bolsters of real race seats are phenomenal on track, a PITA on the street. I have a Cobra Suzuka GT in my Z06 (new owner picking up the car tomorrow!!!) and I was really put off driving it to work because of the "climbing in" I had to do. Lower side bolster seats (Euro GT3 seats and some others) are easier to live with for DD duties but are not as supportive on track. But with harnesses, the need for the "high-sides" is diminished. Funny, I've gone out with passengers and only put on my 3 point in the Cobra and I didn't really notice a lack of support...although I wasn't really cooking it with the students. It's amazing just what a real seat can do to keep you planted, and the Kirkey is a no-joke seat.

Good to hear you're using the proper safety gear, good job!!!

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrccod
The seats I put in were Kirkley Aluminum FA's (fat ***) the new 930 RSS Bar and Schroth Belts in red. Won't have interior pics till weekend.

Here is 1 pic from Sebring

Kirkey Seats, thats your problem ... get a set of 996 GT3 recaros or the 997 Sports Buckets, either of those is a much better solution and compromise for a mixed use car *and* (IMHO) they dont look like something you welded together in your shed last weekend and installed in the "general lee"

Quick Reply: Hope I did no wrong