Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rotor Change on CLs, can the rotor assembly hardware be Reused?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 AM
bperry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Change on CLs, can the rotor assembly hardware be Reused?

I'm getting ready to change out my factory PCCBs for a StopTech Trophy BBK. I was wondering if I can reuse my rotor assembly hardware (the red nipples, inserts and bolts)? Suncoast gets $500 for a full set. Any cheapers alternatives available for centerlocks?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, Porsche says you gotta change this hardware when you swap rotors. And I did. But... I think the next time I have to do it, I'll forgo the expense for this hardware. I found absolutely nothing wrong with mine and decided to keep it in the tool box just in case.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Yep, Porsche says you gotta change this hardware when you swap rotors. And I did. But... I think the next time I have to do it, I'll forgo the expense for this hardware. I found absolutely nothing wrong with mine and decided to keep it in the tool box just in case.
That makes rotor changes crazy expensive , wonder what the rational is?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I know, the extent of the "saving" is to reuse the hat. The drive pin ("bobbin") and bolt/washer/nut are all subject to fatigue with no way to measure tolerances, so no way to be sure they can be re-used once the friction disc is spent.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
As far as I know, the extent of the "saving" is to reuse the hat. The drive pin ("bobbin") and bolt/washer/nut are all subject to fatigue with no way to measure tolerances, so no way to be sure they can be re-used once the friction disc is spent.
I knew that could not be reused, but the red nipples the wheels sits on cant?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've read that they need to be changed each time also and I don't pretend to be an engineer but seriously, how much force can they be subject to that is likely to shear them. The pins would be pressed through the hat and the red cover and bolt are simply holding them from sliding back. Even the torque I had seen to fix them is low and is unlikely to be damaging to either the bolt or pin.

Unless the pins are damaged or deformed on removal, i'll probably use some loctite to secure the bolts and reuse at least once more. They are sandwiched between the wheel and hat with 600nm of torque, i doubt there will be enough play to shear 5 used pins any time soon... IMO

Porsche really should have looked at a more cost effective option, ie cast pins rather than always thinking $$$
Old 04-01-2011, 08:51 AM
bperry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I'm not talking about the hat to friction ring hardware. Those pieces should not be reused. I'm talking about the three piece unit that takes the place of your lugbolts.

Originally Posted by 911rox
I've read that they need to be changed each time also and I don't pretend to be an engineer but seriously, how much force can they be subject to that is likely to shear them. The pins would be pressed through the hat and the red cover and bolt are simply holding them from sliding back. Even the torque I had seen to fix them is low and is unlikely to be damaging to either the bolt or pin.

Unless the pins are damaged or deformed on removal, i'll probably use some loctite to secure the bolts and reuse at least once more. They are sandwiched between the wheel and hat with 600nm of torque, i doubt there will be enough play to shear 5 used pins any time soon... IMO

Porsche really should have looked at a more cost effective option, ie cast pins rather than always thinking $$$
At most I may replace just the screws if they are sold separtely. The red nipples look brand new. I really hate theses centerlocks!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Great post who knew.. Guess I replace them next time..
Old 04-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the pins are visually okay, I don't see why they would need to be replaced at all. Of course it's up to the service documentation and the individual. I've seen some cars where those pins have been beaten up and probably should be replaced if the working surfaces have been damaged.

Somewhat ironically, when I looked at those pins on the street car, they look so lightweight, I assumed their sole purpose was alignment, not functioning as a drive pin, so I wasn't thinking of them as a wear item or consumable.

I'm about to shelve the PCCBs on my car. I really don't feel like adding another $600 to the work order or the hassle factor since I hadn't anticipated needing new alignment pins. Grumble.

Operating costs on Porsche brakes are absurd.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

I've worked out what Porsche are up to!!!! The guys on PCCB get whacked thousands for friction discs but since they aren't changing hats, they get off lightly with the cost of pins (don't remove, don't replace). The steel guys pay comparitively less for their rotors and get whacked ridiculous amounts for pins with each rotor replacement since they are one piece.

SOOOO... Rather than make PCCBs cheaper for some customers, they've made steels equally expensive so nobody feels left out!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

what price component failure on track? We all prize Porsche reliability, which typically stems from German attention to detail.

Call me crazy, I have to ask myself who is the expert in this equation, me or the Porsche Engineer who built the car and specced the maintainence protocols? Even they get it wrong sometimes ... answers on a postcard to ....
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

I hear you Larry but 10 years of RMS, coolant fitting failures and now ICE mode aren't exactly attention to detail and each of those is FARRRRR more likely to wipe me out on a track... We've seen more than enough posts about each of these and they have me far more concerned than the pins.

We're only trying to rationalise the importance of changing with every rotor change...
Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I hear you Larry but 10 years of RMS, coolant fitting failures and now ICE mode aren't exactly attention to detail and each of those is FARRRRR more likely to wipe me out on a track... We've seen more than enough posts about each of these and they have me far more concerned than the pins.

We're only trying to rationalise the importance of changing with every rotor change...
totally agree (hence my remarks about their previous mistakes) and understand you POV ... just sayin ... wanna pay $600 now or ... YMMV!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

On a side note, if these pins are subject to fatigue, wouldn't you place a kms or years requirement to replace them like they do for the rear sway bar brackets (every 20k kms, 2yrs)? The rotors on a PCCB car typically outlast steel rotors several fold. Thus where a steel rotor car may do 50k kms and be replaced, a pccb car may do 2-300k kms on the same rotors. Driven equally the stresses would be the same.

Obviously the pins are one and the same on both so would you not specify a service interval if they were subject to fatigue, stress and possible failure? Otherwise PCCB guys will be snapping them left right and centre....

The only part i think should be changed on every occasion is the little bolts but i bet they don't sell those seperately. The rest should be replace if it shows any signs of wear or deformity... Just my opinion...
Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Good point!

Quick Reply: Rotor Change on CLs, can the rotor assembly hardware be Reused?