Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone DD a GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:51 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
I really love the look and capabilities of the 997 GT3, but I was wondering if it was a car a person could tolerate on city streets, bumps , pot holes ect.

My Sport setting on my 07 C4S is pretty stiff, and I've read where thats close to 90% stiffness of a GT3 ?

I can tolerate the stiff ride in Sport mode on the C4S, but if the GT3 is alot more stiff, I think the car would be unsettled alot on rougher city streets.
First, there is a much bigger difference in springs rates than you think. The front springs are only about 15%. The rears on a GT3 (997.2) are about 40% stiffer. I DD my GT3 and have no issues, but I am used to driving a stiff car on the street. The 997.2 GT3 despite slightly higher spring rates than the 997.1, actually takes bumps better due to much better shock dampening. Certain types of pavement can make the car unsettling. It is also more of a chore to drive as everything is sharper and stiffer: steering, shifter, clutch, brakes and even the spring on the throttle pedal. You do get use to it quickly. It doesn't bother me, with the exception of a couple of days that I drove for hours in traffic. For that couple of days I got a slight headache and just felt fatigued.

The key issue is learning how to deal with the far lower clearance. You will not be able to fully avoid scraping, particularly on the front lips, diffuser flaps in front of the front wheels and the front lower brake scoops. Just buy a spare front lip or 2 from the start. They are only about $200, so it is no big deal. The rest of the parts that scrape up are pretty reasonable too. Stock pads on the 997.2 are RS19s, so they get extremely noisy at times. No issues driving in rain if you get Corsas, but you will need high concentration and to limit your speed if you drive on MPSCs in the rain. Supersports, when they arrive, should be a good option.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got a hold of my car and was able to drive it some.

The stiffness and sharpness can be adjusted for. What clinches the uselessness of a GT3 RS on the street for me is the interior noise. And I don't mean engine noise. Simply road noise entering the cabin. At highway speeds it's pretty loud. I would not want to drive that daily for any significant distance. I don't know if a GT3 is the same way compared to an RS but if it is then you have to consider that.

Quick Reply: Anyone DD a GT3 ?