Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone DD a GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After selling my Boxster S, I daily drove my 997.1 RS for 4 months - in SoCal. It's addictive.

You quickly get used to the clutch; it is still softer than several 60/70's muscle cars I've DD.
The splitter will get torn up - the cup splitter holds up much better and is cheaper.
The ride was firm, though it actually got better with the RSS monoballs and thrust bushings.
I love the sounds (SharkWerks).

That said, I've ordered a Cayman R for DD.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
these guys have a northern california branch?!?!?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Weather-permitting and as long as there's not too much snow or salt on the ground, I daily drive my GT3 every chance I get. And I live and work in a big city. It's pothole season here in Chicago and one really has to pay close attention to the road in order to avoid them but that doesn't stop me. The 7.2 GT3/RS ride compliance is not an issue at all. It's actually much better than I expected and on the soft setting, it's significantly better than a 6GT3's. I feel it's it's even more comfortable than the EDC sport setting on my previous E92 M3, mostly because the front end is so much lighter that it doesn't crash hard into small bumps like the heavier M3 did. So it's not the ride quality that's an issue but rather the extremely low clearance thanks to the front lip spoiler, rear brake cooling ducts, and whatever else close to the ground that can easily hit stuff. The low clearance has simply limited where I can drive the car to, and in many cases, even the hydraulic nose-lift system doesn't help. There are a handful of steep entrance ramps to various parking garages, lots, strip malls, driveways, etc, that I just can't take the GT3 to. Same goes for other local destinations that have unusually large speed bumps. So with the GT3, one must plan ahead based on roads you must travel, ramps you must cross, and obstacles you might encounter. Ride-quality-wise, you're fine as long as you don't mind the extra cabin noise.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DD'ed my '07 for 35K miles in all types of weather and had a blast every day and that's in the greater NYC area with 60 miles of commuting a day. the only problem with using this car as a DD is that once you get into a real world normal car, things like steering and suspension feel so loose that you would swear your car is broken. It makes you lament that fact that you left the GT3 at home!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about a DD -- how far is the commute? I live in AL, where the only worse roads are in adjacent states. I find the car very compliant considering its dynamic abilities on track and on the mountain roads, but I wouldn't do a long commute everyday in it. In some places the roads are like glass, and, sure, that would be fine. That said, my aim is to drive it as much as possible, so I will probably drop the idea of getting buckets and instead get the child seat and air-bag switch, just so I can drive it more often.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
DD'ed my '07 for 35K miles in all types of weather and had a blast every day and that's in the greater NYC area with 60 miles of commuting a day. the only problem with using this car as a DD is that once you get into a real world normal car, things like steering and suspension feel so loose that you would swear your car is broken. It makes you lament that fact that you left the GT3 at home!
Did you have a trak exhaust on your 997.1?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive mine, almost all highway 100 miles a day. I like it. It is loud, but that goes with the territory. The front spoiler lip does get chewed up. I replaced it when I replaced the tires - I am thinking it is just a wear item. The overall ride is fine.

Go for it.

David
Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on getting a .1 later this year as a DD, going down PCH thru Malibu a few days a week cant be that bad...at least if I have my V1 on all the time.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using my 2010 GT3 as DD
if you plan to use it like me then you need to consider the following:
1- Very low clearance when compared to Carrera S/4S and hard with holes & bumps.
2- You need to visit gas station frequently, 200KM before the warning appears.
3- Too much noises coming from inside and outside, brakes, bumps specially in front when Lifting system exist
4- You need to think where to go before you drive GT3 otherwise you will be in a bad situation blocking traffic when facing mall entrance. Lifting system helps sometimes BUT not every time.
5- Clutch is an issue when you drive in heavy traffic (stop and go) and you will smell the clutch when you used it soo much.
6- Less luxurious when compared with other Carreras, no choices for interior colors, no Bose system, no back seats …etc
7- Dealer maintenance drivers can’t drive GT3 very well, I asked them don’t test drive it after any maintenance.
8- Wheels are wider than tires so they will be scratched very easily, mine scratched during 1st month.
9- When ordering with Bucket seats, nobody will be happy to enter or exit the car, of course not you but your friends and you will hate to pick up anyone with you.
10- Back view blocked by the larger rear spoiler so almost no benefit from the rear view mirror dimming system
11- I am not sure about this if it happened also with other Carrera’s, the front compartment become very hot so don’t put any grocery or electric devices in it
12- If your city has heavy traffic and summer temperature is very high, you will get engine blower fault and engine will heat up easily. This is confirmed by our dealers in Arabian Gulf.
13- GT3 maintenance is different but dealers deal with at as any other Carreras, every time I get it from them I need to reduce tire pressure.
14- If all of above points are not acceptable then I suggest to get Carrera Turbo and you are the king of the road every day.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Did you have a trak exhaust on your 997.1?
had the center bypass on both the base GT3 and the RS....sold them and put the stockers back on the 3 and the track system on the RS...center bypass alone on a DD was very liveable
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by almeena58
I am using my 2010 GT3 as DD
if you plan to use it like me then you need to consider the following:
1- Very low clearance when compared to Carrera S/4S and hard with holes & bumps.
2- You need to visit gas station frequently, 200KM before the warning appears.
3- Too much noises coming from inside and outside, brakes, bumps specially in front when Lifting system exist
4- You need to think where to go before you drive GT3 otherwise you will be in a bad situation blocking traffic when facing mall entrance. Lifting system helps sometimes BUT not every time.
5- Clutch is an issue when you drive in heavy traffic (stop and go) and you will smell the clutch when you used it soo much.
6- Less luxurious when compared with other Carreras, no choices for interior colors, no Bose system, no back seats …etc
7- Dealer maintenance drivers can’t drive GT3 very well, I asked them don’t test drive it after any maintenance.
8- Wheels are wider than tires so they will be scratched very easily, mine scratched during 1st month.
9- When ordering with Bucket seats, nobody will be happy to enter or exit the car, of course not you but your friends and you will hate to pick up anyone with you.
10- Back view blocked by the larger rear spoiler so almost no benefit from the rear view mirror dimming system
11- I am not sure about this if it happened also with other Carrera’s, the front compartment become very hot so don’t put any grocery or electric devices in it
12- If your city has heavy traffic and summer temperature is very high, you will get engine blower fault and engine will heat up easily. This is confirmed by our dealers in Arabian Gulf.
13- GT3 maintenance is different but dealers deal with at as any other Carreras, every time I get it from them I need to reduce tire pressure.
14- If all of above points are not acceptable then I suggest to get Carrera Turbo and you are the king of the road every day.
Well said.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 AM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive mine 3 or 4 times a week, after almost a year and a half every drive is still special!! LOVE this car!! That said driveways and finding wide parking spots can be a pain.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
the only problem with using this car as a DD is that once you get into a real world normal car, things like steering and suspension feel so loose that you would swear your car is broken.
After I test drove a .2 GT3, I got into my C2S and felt like the clutch was broken.

The mechanic assured me it was normal, it was just my imagination
Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see too many people harp on tires, but they become a more important variable in the mix if you are accomodating bad roads. I went with the Hankook Evo's, replaced the MSPC's and think they live up to their billing as possibly the most comfortable tire for these cars. So much so that I regret not going with Bridgestones for a firmer feel. Boston suburb roads are close to glass. Other than that, you can't change your ride height and spring settings on the fly, but will find yourself reaching for the PASM button if you DD a GT3. This assumes you'll both want to push it and occassionally relax.

The best thing about this car, to me right now, is finally getting behind the wheel of something designed with stiffer springs. That has made all of my past stock-sprung / aftermarket-damped Porsche experience seem incomplete.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 AM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Every single day. Commute through the city, over some marginal roads, rain or shine.

A Turbo is the smarter decision for the same money, but it just isn't the same experience and I wouldn't trade my GT3 for anything else at the same price (or much else other than a newer GT3 for much more).

I use winter tires (Porsche 'N' Pirelli Sottozero Serie II) for the winter months and even saw a tiny bit of snow! Although, the snow is pretty much the limit for the car. Without a 'good' differential, cranking the suspension height up, removing the brake ducts on the front (I removed mine automatically just by driving in some slush, thankfully they're very inexpensive) and pulling off the splitter it's pretty much a no-snow vehicle.

I'd probably suggest some more 'streetable' tires than the PS Cup's if you're daily using the car. Maybe the PS Super Sport or PS2 for street rubber and an additional set of wheels / tires for track duty.

It's a personal choice / taste depending on what you're already comfortable with. If you're accustomed to driving race cars, than the GT3 in stock trim is pretty plush and all around a good compromise.

Quick Reply: Anyone DD a GT3 ?