Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who would buy a GT3 RS without a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
You are wrong!

I did write that review if you can call it a review on M3post. With the only intention to give some basic info to any M3 owner who may consider the GT3RS. I also posted that I am not dissatisfied with the RS within it's intended use.
Since then, if you follow the thread - which I abandoned since it turned into something I never intended - I did drive the RS more and like it more.
Thanks
As an M3 owner considering a (regular) GT3, I appreciate your review.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,681 Likes on 2,334 Posts

its not that hard.
M3 bad
GT3 good
very easy
yes, i have had countless numbers of m3's and am convinced that there is no substitute for porsches, certainly nothing from germany.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

M3 good for driving to Publix, but C63 better.
On the track both no good.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
This guy bought one based on a test drive of a CS, which he didn't even like. I can see not test driving an RS, because there are so few, but not even trying a regular GT3? Then comparing it to an M3, lol.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506051
I worked at a Porsche store once (pre Cayenne and Panamera)....we used to say that anyone who came in asking for a test drive wasn't a real buyer....
Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
I worked at a Porsche store once (pre Cayenne and Panamera)....we used to say that anyone who came in asking for a test drive wasn't a real buyer....
LOL, i almost got to test drive a CGT back in 2005.
then my wife showed up.....
Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 AM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
Thanks,

I have to admit rereading my post feels like i was complaining about the noise more than I intended. The whole point - my intention - was to point out the differences.
(and for some reason unknown to me I never like my new cars first. I did not like the M3 either, posted about it, then I loved it afted the track experience and the mods.)
I wanted to have a car that I can track without the brake issues I had on the M3. I felt like I am abusing the M3 all the time on the track. I hope I will not feel the same with the RS. I have to say I enjoy working on the car as much as driving it so I am planning certain mods on the RS already.
I dont know. It seemed to me the original post just ppointed out that the M3 is primarily a sporty street car while the RS is a streetable track car.

I have fond memories of my E36 and E46 cars. It was with the E46 I first went to track events and then i added the E36 and modified it for the track.

I fantasized about the GT3 for years and when I test drove it, it was even better than I imagined. These are all great cars but with a slightly different focus. Even the E92...... I hated it when it first came out, but when I saw it perform on the track and got a ride in one, its a good car. Different from the GT3, and I prefer the GT3, but I can never bitch about it. Wouldnt mind being able to afford one in addition to what I have. It would make a great all year round car that would be a nice one to take when instructing at the BMW schools.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
What's up, does she have a tracker on your cell phone???
Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Mistake #1.....letting your wife leave work

At one point you were me hero........
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
What's up, does she have a tracker on your cell phone???
no, time to pick him up and go home.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
no, time to pick him up and go home.
... from P daycare.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by afridi
I dont know. It seemed to me the original post just ppointed out that the M3 is primarily a sporty street car while the RS is a streetable track car.

I have fond memories of my E36 and E46 cars. It was with the E46 I first went to track events and then i added the E36 and modified it for the track.

I fantasized about the GT3 for years and when I test drove it, it was even better than I imagined. These are all great cars but with a slightly different focus. Even the E92...... I hated it when it first came out, but when I saw it perform on the track and got a ride in one, its a good car. Different from the GT3, and I prefer the GT3, but I can never bitch about it. Wouldnt mind being able to afford one in addition to what I have. It would make a great all year round car that would be a nice one to take when instructing at the BMW schools.
right on. different horse different courses.
V8 E90/E92 M3 are really german cadillacs, austrian arnold.
fast, capable and wonderful in the sumo wrestling ring.
if you want to dance like bruce lee, and be really lean with 5% body fast, it's gt3. they are not the same.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Izzone
Mistake #1.....letting your wife leave work

At one point you were me hero........
i learn from mistakes.
i have two phones, one is secret.
now, i encourage her to take extra shifts. one weekend off is good enough. we need the money. back to back call nights pays more, i have convinced her to do more of that. then when she gets home, she's tired. so less nagging...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
M3 good for driving to Publix, but C63 better.
On the track both no good.
Blasphemy! Slushomatic Benzes are for AARP members!

Well, in reality it's whatever floats your boat but I would never consider an automatic performance car if I can get to row my own. Maybe a DCT of some sort but even then I'd go with stick. Gives me something to do while in traffic.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist

Well, in reality it's whatever floats your boat but I would never consider an automatic performance car if I can get to row my own. Maybe a DCT of some sort but even then I'd go with stick. Gives me something to do while in traffic.
There's no underestimating that Mercedes knows their customer and their AMG products answer the customer demand -- aggressive, distinctive appearance with shocking acceleration up to highway speeds and a pretty enjoyable exhaust note without suspension NVH required to deliver higher levels of performance and handling.

I mention all that because the early indications we're getting from VW&Porsche suggest that's exactly where VW will take the top and bottom of the Porsche brand. We can only hope they leave the 911 alone in the middle and who knows, four or so years from now, we'll see the next mark plotted along the path of the GT cars and hopefully it will still be a 911 by design, not just name.

Anyway, who knew this magazine masthead was so far ahead of its time:
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
+1!

I drove an M3 with M-DCT at the ring last year and it was ok, and I drove a C2S with PDK at Dubai Autodrome (and once I had figured out how the shift buttons worked) they were both "ok to acceptable" ... the M3 (under my command) was no match for anything with a "GT3" badge on the back of it ... M-DCT was fine, the car just wasn't inspiring going into the corners ... I liked
the PDK in Sport mode once I figured out the "logic" behind the shifter buttons.

I would still not pay for either system when a manual was an alternative!

Quick Reply: Who would buy a GT3 RS without a test drive?