Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PSDS GT3 Cup Class

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
A cup car costs about $1,000 and hour to run, and that needs to be factored in. With newbies using the sequential (fragile) gearbox, you might double that figure.
Actually it is closer to $2500 per hour....there is a discussion on the cupcars forum and owners of 997 cups indicating the above cost...so the if the PSDS gets one 2 hours in a new well prepped cup car plus top notch coaching and great track to practice....the rest of the 2 days is a bonus IMO.

Last edited by malmasri; 03-18-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be interesting to get the source of these operating cost numbers.

There's no use in comparing a school car operated by PCNA to a race team in a 2010 or 2011 Cup campaigning in various series or Enduro's.

The PSDS car is on their track with shared costs for the track itself, techs, etc. Their logistics and the economy of scale make it a unique operation, not just five cars and five times the cost of a single Cup team campaign.

The PSDS has no transport or insurance or accommodation, etc. They're getting the cars and parts at some fraction of team costs. They're operating the cars under controlled non-race conditions. The cars will be set up for their work, lower rev limits and things like two seats, perhaps things like detuned for cheaper fuel. Porsche has a habit of insisting on the PSDS operating their street cars at street car spec (including tire pressures!) but I think they'd have to treat the Cup as a special case ... what's the sense in having a car tuned and set up to operate at race pace, but put in the hands of students far out of their depth?

The coaches are presumably either salaried or on retainer contracts, not contracted for the day at coaching rates. PSDS offloads insurance cost to the customer.

The student is in the car under instruction and perhaps reaches 50% of race pace in the latter sessions of the second day ... perhaps 20 minutes to an hour of the engine and box operating at a reduced rev limit.

If I were operating the PSDS, I'd have the Cups on affordable rubber and durable dampers ... not slicks coming off after a single qualifying run ... not hand-tuned stacks of dampers lined up with sets of springs, all getting rebuilt after a few hours or a single race.

We already know from posts by people here at Rennlist talking about the facts of their costs, operating their cars -- the most expensive part is the tires! The wild exaggeration and chest beating of big costs is entertaining, but not relevant.

I'm not trying to diminish how much fun the Cup school is going to be, but there's no way to measure its real value or get a good ballpark on its real costs basis until it's run at least for the first time (!) to see what kind of show they put on. I've been to PSDS twice for a total of five days there -- those guys put on a good show and they won't be turning this into a silly (or dangerous) amusement park ride like some of the "race" schools around the country. If I get a rush of madness and go myself, I'm sure I'll come away a better track driver and I'll have a very tasty sampling of something I've never driven.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some info:

The cost for the 2-day GT3 Experience is $10,000.
The student to instructor ratio is 1:1 with only 6 participants per class

Quick Reply: PSDS GT3 Cup Class