Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Does GT2RS Inventory at Dealers make it a lesser car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
It's good to be the king

+1 on the dead kitten.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Tape over microphone is fine also.

To drive a GT2RS.. Porsche feeling, durability and looks with bullying abilities like Viper/Vette and GTR..
Nice! Wanna drive one so bad..
Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You did notice the speedo display is in km/h?: )
I can't get away with anything can I ?

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Downforce on the GT2 is higher than the GT3?

I did notice the 3rd gear through T2. Lazyboy. Time for you to make another pilgrimage to PSDS.

Also a low gain mic and dead kitten might help with the cabin noise on race-keeper. And send those guys a pic of your GT2 RS tach so they have the correct red line.

That's your chores for today. : )
If I could persuade Mr. Preuninger to email me that presentation he gave I could have something to back up my memory. But I sure I heard the 2RS had considerably more downforce than 3RS for a given speed.

I have the kitten, need to try it. Mic was mounted this time just ahead of rearview mirror. We guessed it migh work better there instead of in center console, but obviously not.

Chores added to list

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I would be happier with the 2RS if it had bigger brakes on it. Especially Savy talking about not even taking it to the limits. Who knows really? Do the PCCBS do a good.job of slowing her down enough or should we go in the opposite direction like with a lot of the GT3 drivers going to steal for track duty?
It is not that they are not fully capable of slowing the car, but the same old PCCB track-use problems will simply be exacerbated and rear their ugly heads sooner then ever (bevel pads/delaminated rotors). They were fantastic for those two days. But I know what is coming...sooner than ever...thanks to extended brake zones.

Originally Posted by KBS911
+1. I can't afford a GT2RS, but I appreciate the hell out of my GT3 and can only imagine what a GT2 must be like. Maybe I just don't get it but if I had the $ I would buy a 2 RS over any Ferrari or Lambo I can think of. It is a Porsche thing I guess, but what I most admire about Porsche is that you can run the crap out of them. They aren't just garage queens but can be reliably tracked and will suffer more abuse than most. Workhorses, that offer no excuse. Savyboy, I'll have to live vicariously through you but major props for running that beautiful machine. That's what it was made for.
KBS- you got it. I will do my best to serve the community via driving the cars

Originally Posted by FFaust
It's good to be the king

+1 on the dead kitten.
It is good to be a Porsche owner We all have it good!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Tape over microphone is fine also.

To drive a GT2RS.. Porsche feeling, durability and looks with bullying abilities like Viper/Vette and GTR..
Nice! Wanna drive one so bad..
Tape eh? How so? I like better than road kill hanging from mic.

There were two GT-R's when I was out there and they were fast *****'s and would easily outrun me anywhere on the track. Hat off to the electronic car.

Vette's were bulliable Haha. Love the raccoon graphic!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Tape eh? How so? I like better than road kill hanging from mic.
Well it depends on the microphone I guess, but on my camera I just tape over the holes and the sound is OK now.

There were two GT-R's when I was out there and they were fast *****'s and would easily outrun me anywhere on the track. Hat off to the electronic car.
Maybe I have not found the real fast *****'s, I was out run for the first time at Barber last week, but not easily. He'd had no chance against GT2RS. I think it was pretty well driven. I have it on Youtube.
Even if they are faster, you just have to wait 20 minutes and they'll overheat the brakes, tires or transmission ;-)
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Well it depends on the microphone I guess, but on my camera I just tape over the holes and the sound is OK now.
It's a problem specific to the racekeeper mic (or their whole analog signal processing.) I have the newer low gain mic and the dead kitty, but haven't tried it. I have tried every location for the mic (including taped, taped under different foams, suspending inside the glovebox, etc.) I've even tried booting the system at speed (single switch) to see if the mic circuit was making some sort of gain adjustment in a silent cabin and then not being able to adjust to wind noise at speed. Just can't get the audio quality right. Even the demo videos on the Web exhibit the same high background noise problem. There is one new demo video of Hurley Haywood with clear audio, so maybe a software update has fixed the problem.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Savy,
I completely agree with you that as the years pass, the GT2RS will hold its value to a greater extent than either the 458 or McLaren. The McLaren is the beginning of a multiple future iterations that will only improve while the GT2RS is the end of the 997 era.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

^ both the 458 and baby Macca are initial iterations of a product family which will see multiple variations over the next 3-5 years. The Macca in particular won't see the scarcity of the F1 of yore now that corporate McLaren has a stated strategy of producing thousands of cars per year.

The 500 2RS's are all there is. That pretty much answers it for me.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I am not surprised at unsold GT2RS or even GT3RS in this economy.

But I am very surprised at people paying $204K for a Speedster. I wonder if they really know that they are just paying for a Carrera GTS cab with a slightly different body kit.
Excellence Magazine came to the same conclusion. I think that the Porsche marketplace is yawning at all the "limited editions" that are coming out. Very high premiums in this economy will not sell out easily. GT3s and RS's did not sell out either.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do sales numbers reflect the quality of the car itself?

It's a stupid fast 911. Fastest 911 with a license plate ever.

I am sure there will be faster ones in the future but this one is a milestone.

And I wouldn't worry too much about some of them still being available. They will find a buyer. Maybe the dealers will earn a little less on those cars but it will still be much better margin in terms of $/per car than almost any other Porsche they sell.

It's true that Porsche may need to cool down a bit with having so many "special" cars. But that doesn't reflect on the qualities of the GT2RS itself. That's a management/business issue and not a product issue. The product is more than fine.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I am not surprised at unsold GT2RS or even GT3RS in this economy.

But I am very surprised at people paying $204K for a Speedster. I wonder if they really know that they are just paying for a Carrera GTS cab with a slightly different body kit.
The speedster is very overpriced in my opinion. The only thing you are really getting over the GTS cab is the bodywork and exclusivity which I feel isn't worth it. I'd rather have a GTS and a Spyder with money left over.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:46 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

There is a White GT2 RS at Park Place Porsche in Dallas. Sticker is $270K. It looks fantastic.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After checking, I found that there are only 11 GT2 RS's left. They will find a home and be loved I am sure. Same with the 3RS's. With all the build slots gone, they will dry up quickly. Regardless of the 4.0 that everyone is talking about. There will be so few of those, that it wont make a difference to the 3.8 RS in valuation. When they are gone, they are gone.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
After 4 trackdays with a clearbra and the damage i'v got with my RS I would be hard pressed to trash a $250k car on track.
What kind of damage did you sustain if you have it covered?

Quick Reply: Does GT2RS Inventory at Dealers make it a lesser car?