Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Seat Exchange A.S.S. to S/Bkt

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:33 AM
nct510
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Curious if anyone knows whether or not the electrical harness for power/A.S.S. style seats are installed in all cars so that interchange of standard or sport bucket/GT2 style seats is possible.

I guess a better way to ask the question would be: Can A.S.S seats be installed in cars that came with standard or sport buckets without electrical mods to the car.

Thanks.
KBS,,,sent you a PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
He asked both questions, I believe I answered (as best as I can) both.
Agreed.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
I was told by my dealers service tech that you can buy a car with *** and easily swap in the Sport Buckets. However, it is not easy to swap *** into a car ordered with Sport Buckets. One of the reasons I ordered my GT2RS with *** from the factory. I can buy sport buckets and drop in when desired.
Did your tech explain why, I cant see a good reason why this is the case; mechanically they are compatible, electrically they are compatible, the only
thing I can imagine is that perhaps some settings with PIWIS may be required?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

mechanically they are compatible, electrically they are compatible, the only
I agree LC.

The yellow plug socket under the seat is the same on each of the seat variants (Std, A.S.S., folding buckets). Even my Euro GT3 buckets have have the same socket, sans wires.

Since the GT3 A.S.S seats did not come with a memory module, all they should really need is power/ground. And if a standard wiring loom was used on these cars like we suspect, that would certainly supply the required power.

My money is on a plug-n-play swap going from Std. to A.S.S..
Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
I agree LC.

The yellow plug socket under the seat is the same on each of the seat variants (Std, A.S.S., folding buckets). Even my Euro GT3 buckets have have the same socket, sans wires.

Since the GT3 A.S.S seats did not come with a memory module, all they should really need is power/ground. And if a standard wiring loom was used on these cars like we suspect, that would certainly supply the required power.

My money is on a plug-n-play swap going from Std. to A.S.S..
I hope you are right, and it makes sense from a build perspective to put in a standard wiring harness that can plug and play, or not, with any seat variation. I was at a tech session this weekend at our local dealership and the sales manager stated that it's harder to sell a car with the sport buckets because they just aren't that comfortable for a most folks. That's encouraging for those of us that would like to swap A.S.S. for SB's. Problem is finding someone that wants to exchange.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your tech explain why, I cant see a good reason why this is the case; mechanically they are compatible, electrically they are compatible, the only
He said the connections weren't 100% compatible. The *** seats have a different harness due to the motors in the seats. I think he also said something about the seat belt mounting points too.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
He said the connections weren't 100% compatible. The *** seats have a different harness due to the motors in the seats. I think he also said something about the seat belt mounting points too.
I think the concensus of (amateur) opinion is that he is wrong.

Quick Reply: Seat Exchange A.S.S. to S/Bkt