Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Barber MS Mishap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
RWK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I recall, there may be an antenna or tower in the distance. I remember using this as a visual alignment reference to convince myself the I was in the righ place, heading on the correct trajectory thru the blind uphill,

sort of a claming influence on the rear end

Mine, not the cars!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The trun is four...watching Hurley, it looks like I stayed at the apex longer..I did not fight the car and allowed it to go where it needs to....eventually I will be at the masters plus and will have, that track experts, analyze clip for me....
As far as the car; No frame damage but many expensive parts will be needed...all out of pocket as I did not have the VIN the night before to buy the event insurace from Locktin and did not want to call home late for it either...
Not so certain if it would have made a difference but I always ran with TC on even at my home track, not the case here.

Trackcar i did not recognize your plate untill I was away so my mistake,,,

997 North: you do have some very good points in your post....

I must appologize for not being able to respond to every post, I should have delegated this to Savyboy or Mooty

I hope that we all learned something here...I did.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Crest of hill is T-4
Always setting me straight..

Trackcar I did not recognize your plate untill I was away so my mistake,,,
No problem! I suffer from CRS.. I was not thinking straight, hungry, wet and cold waiting in line for tech, me hungry, my crabby. ;-)

My new wrap will be harder to miss. As you can see in the pcis the white is turning yellow, so they offered to re-wrap the car as long as it is not whte, so the car will be mostly red soon ;-)

Respect for posting the video and taking this in stride. We are all learning from this..

I hope that you can make the car good as new ASAP and put it behind you with a lesson learned.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:18 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

mal, an unfortunate incident. don't let it dent your confidence. learn from it and be glad that you're ok.
yeah it looks like you had lot's of revs onboard at the top of third gear just as the car got light... might have been an idea to be in 4th just before the crest to be more stable.
hindsight is easy. practice is the key, building up all the time, these cars are fast.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
brutusflash
Advanced

I agree with MJones. Especially if its wet and you have carried enough speed the rear-end gets extremely light at the crest. If you've apexed correctly you should be pointed straight at the score tower with as little steering input as possible as the car tracks out. It doesn't take much to get sideways. Hope all gets well soon.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
Can you please exactly point out where the incident happened ?

Turn 5 is the one with double apex, right ?
The crest of that hill is T4...the car gets ver very light and you absolulty have to have the wheel straight and track out way to the left at speed.

I've gotten very light and lose over the top of T4 in a regular Carrera. I can imagine how light at a faster speed a GT3RS will be.

I'm glad the OP is in great health and the car can be fixed easier than the human body.

Barber is one of my favorite tracks.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

rookie question(just trying to learn more): would this crash definitely have been prevented with traction control(or psm, whatever it's called in gt3rs) on?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
rookie question(just trying to learn more): would this crash definitely have been prevented with traction control(or psm, whatever it's called in gt3rs) on?
Depends.....you can still spin a car with PSM on.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

At 80-100+ MPH and the car is light, anything is possible!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malmasri
As far as the car; No frame damage but many expensive parts will be needed...all out of pocket as I did not have the VIN the night before to buy the event insurace from Locktin and did not want to call home late for it either...
Not so certain if it would have made a difference but I always ran with TC on even at my home track, not the case here.
I must appologize for not being able to respond to every post, I should have delegated this to Savyboy or Mooty

I hope that we all learned something here...I did.
Sorry to hear no insurance

Delegate...haha!

If you are paying to fix out of pocket, message me and maybe I can help with some ideas?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
At 80-100+ MPH and the car is light, anything is possible!

Doesn't even take that... I've spun the car in a similar situation as the OP at less than 60mph. All it took was a lift mid-turn and a pair of slow hands behind the wheel. All electronic nannies were on but none could've defied physics when driver input is all kaput...
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Doesn't even take that... I've spun the car in a similar situation as the OP at less than 60mph. All it took was a lift mid-turn and a pair of slow hands behind the wheel. All electronic nannies were on but none could've defied physics when driver input is all kaput...
This is not helping my pre-masters class, rookie driver confidence any at all...uggh.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

This is not helping my pre-masters class, rookie driver confidence any at all...uggh.
On the contrary, I think it's the heightened sense of self-preservation that'll make you safer... after all that's why you're getting additional instruction!

Videos like this really help others learn the craft. If you have a second go search for "Nuburgring Unfall" on youtube and you'll see all find almost every imaginable scenario with over/understeer in off-camber situations. Great learning tool!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't sweat it.... As several have said, it is not if but when... All this proves is that you are pushing yourself, and that is a good (though costly) thing!

I hit a tire wall at 85mph in my 996.2 GT3 back in '08 and bent the frame. Total cost for the fix was close to $25K out of pocket. The truth is that I had reached a plateau in my driving up to that day, and decided to push the envelope. Lap times dropped, but one second of lost concentration bit me... I don't regret that learning experience for a minute.

Learn from it, and move on... Glad to see it is only cosmetic damage.

-B
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

I hate to also pile on, but, glad you are OK, and thanks for posting. Barber looks amazing.

Watching your video and reading your description of events, I purchased a Lockton policy for my next PCA DE yesterday (link). I’m not super fast, but I am getting to that point where I am pushing myself a little. I own the car outright, but if I really stuffed it, I’d want to get it repaired fully without a 5 figure bill.

Good Luck with everything.

Quick Reply: Barber MS Mishap