Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rennsport Reunion IV - Oct 2011 at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My plans are getting better... So I've got my hotel at the Abrego. I've got my Quail tickets. Lining up Reunion tickets currently. And I'll have a Cayman or Boxster for rental for the time I'm there (11th - 19th). Should be a great time!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Ok I am confused about tickets ... So the is the LS event tickets available on the website, then there is the Quail event ... Is the RS reunion another separate event from these?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like quail is a $400 ticket to a concourse of 1950 - 1965 vintage racing p-cars. rs reunion is at ls.

this rs reunion gig at ls looks unbelievable. just started a new job otherwise i would try to make it.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Ok I am confused about tickets ... So the is the LS event tickets available on the website, then there is the Quail event ... Is the RS reunion another separate event from these?
Quail event is separate. Rennsport Reunion tales place at LS.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Another question for you guys (sorry to be a bother): If I am attending the Quail event on Sunday the 16th, it looks like I should buy the two-day ticket for the Reunion (Fri, Sat), correct?

Also, while I did park in the corral in 2009 for the Historics, is it worth doing this time?

I appreciate the patience you guys are showing. It's a decently large outlay for a vacation 7 months ahead, so I'd like to NOT screw it up. Just wait until I start my GT3 hunt in earnest....
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Tickets for Rennsport at Laguna

Chris: For Rennsport IV at Laguna Seca, if you buy individual tickets for Friday and Saturday, the cost is $55. For an extra $5, you get the three day packages. I am definitely going to the 'Porsche Race Car Classic' on Sunday...but I still will get the three day pass. I will give that Sunday ticket & parking pass to a friend (or stranger) so he/she can get in to Laguna Seca for final day of Rennsport.

As for the packages at Laguna Seca, there are three options to consider:

A) 3-Day General Admission & Paddock - PRR
Includes Friday, Saturday, Sunday General Admission & Paddock Ticket, Grandstand Seats, and General Parking. (Gate Price: $80) $60

B) 3-Day Admission & Paddock with Porsche Car Corral Pass - PRR
PORSCHE ONLY CAR CORRAL PASS AND 3-DAY ADMISSION & PADDOCK TICKET. Vehicle will not be allowed into corral area unless it is a PORSCHE. You will be directed to general parking. Space is limited. $90

The Porsche Corral Parking is most probable the same as they have it for the Historics, although since Rennsport is a single marque event, it will probably be expanded to include a larger area. But it will be in a dirt field! Any car there will get very dusty every day.

There is an alternative parking option that is 'less' dusty. It is around the Lakebed Area:

C) VIP Parking - PRR
3-Day VIP Parking in the Green Lakebed Area. Space is limited. No overnight parking allowed. $30

'General parking' should be avoided in general! It can put your car far away from the track entrances and in hillsides, grass fields or dusty places. It will be a hike to get in and out of the normal track entrances. So it is worth paying $30 for either 'Porsche Corral' or 'VIP' at the lakebed. I think many of us will choose Option A with Option C. I believe they will let any type of car you bring be parked at VIP, but only Porsches at the Corral.

Hope this helps. Saludos, z356
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Gracias amigo... I was considering the Corral, but I am not 100% positive I'll have a Porsche since it'll be a rental. I think the A and C suggestions is a good one. I'll buy two As and one C since my wife will be with me. I'll check and see if any of my old Marine buddies are at DLI now and hand them off the Sunday tix/pass. Good idea!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Larry, Rennsport IV will take place at Laguna Seca on October 14th-16th, 2011. Rennsport will run in conjunction with the 'Porsche Race Car Classic' scheduled to take place at Quail Lodge on October 16th. The exact location of this special event in Quail is where Porsche constructed it's impressive 'Zentrum' for the Panamera world premiere a few years ago during the Historics.

The 'Classic' will be a very special one-off gathering of significant Porsche race cars from 1950 to the 1960's, although the field is being expanded at the request of Porsche AG to same later vintage race cars. For example, they are hoping to see perhaps up to 17 of the 20 Abarth Carreras ever built be on that field that day! They are also expecting notable race car drivers of the period to attend. Many of these famous factory drivers coming from Europe are getting up in years and probably will not be around much longer. And unlike Rennsport, which can be expected to ocurr every couple of years, the 'Classic' is a unique event that is not going to be repeated. It has been a monumental effort to put it on & get the entrants to bring their historic cars from all over the world for just this one-off event! And that exhaustive work is why perhaps it will be never duplicated in our lifetime!

Good friends of mine have been organizing this 'Classic' event for over three years & it has support at the highest levels at Porsche AG. The 'Classic' is the reason why Porsche decided to allow a Rennsport to be scheduled in that same week on the Monterey peninsula. It is quite a major coup since it's the first time this important Porsche AG sanctioned event will be held in the West Coast!

www.porscheracecarclassic.com

The 'Classic' will done is the style of 'The Quail', if you are familiar with that event during the Historics. There will be unlimited food and drinks provided. Tickets are limited, but they are expecting to sell 3500 in total. The entry ticket will be expensive at $400@ but $350 of it is fully tax deductible. Organizers are working to raise $2M net and will divide that been the UCSF Thoracic Oncology Program and the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation. The driving force behind the even is Steve Heinrichs, who also put on the 2004 Speedster 50th Anniversary event at Quail which was a memorable & historic gathering. All the organizers are unpaid volunteers and no one is profiting personally from this charity event!

Although some of the race cars scheduled for Sunday's 'Classic' might appear briefly for a 'Parade' type lap of Laguna on Friday or Saturday, my guess is that most will not bother with the logistics (or liability perhaps) of getting their valuable cars to & from the track. So if you want to see all of these cars displayed together in a beautiful grass field, you will have to come to the 'Classic' on Sunday and experience this 'Gathering'! If you can manage it, it will probably be one of the best $400 you will spend for a Porsche event. z356 (Carmel)
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Larry, Rennsport IV will take place at Laguna Seca on October 14th-16th, 2011. Rennsport will run in conjunction with the 'Porsche Race Car Classic' scheduled to take place at Quail Lodge on October 16th. The exact location of this special event in Quail is where Porsche constructed it's impressive 'Zentrum' for the Panamera world premiere a few years ago during the Historics.

The 'Classic' will be a very special one-off gathering of significant Porsche race cars from 1950 to the 1960's, although the field is being expanded at the request of Porsche AG to same later vintage race cars. For example, they are hoping to see perhaps up to 17 of the 20 Abarth Carreras ever built be on that field that day! They are also expecting notable race car drivers of the period to attend. Many of these famous factory drivers coming from Europe are getting up in years and probably will not be around much longer. And unlike Rennsport, which can be expected to ocurr every couple of years, the 'Classic' is a unique event that is not going to be repeated. It has been a monumental effort to put it on & get the entrants to bring their historic cars from all over the world for just this one-off event! And that exhaustive work is why perhaps it will be never duplicated in our lifetime!

Good friends of mine have been organizing this 'Classic' event for over three years & it has support at the highest levels at Porsche AG. The 'Classic' is the reason why Porsche decided to allow a Rennsport to be scheduled in that same week on the Monterey peninsula. It is quite a major coup since it's the first time this important Porsche AG sanctioned event will be held in the West Coast!

The 'Classic' will done is the style of 'The Quail', if you are familiar with that event during the Historics. There will be unlimited food and drinks provided. Tickets are limited, but they are expecting to sell 3500 in total. The entry ticket will be expensive at $400@ but $350 of it is fully tax deductible. Organizers are working to raise $2M net and will divide that been the UCSF Thoracic Oncology Program and the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation. The driving force behind the even is Steve Heinrichs, who also put on the 2004 Speedster 50th Anniversary event at Quail which was a memorable & historic gathering. All the organizers are unpaid volunteers and no one is profiting personally from this charity event!

Although some of the race cars scheduled for Sunday's 'Classic' might appear briefly for a 'Parade' type lap of Laguna on Friday or Saturday, my guess is that most will not bother with the logistics (or liability perhaps) of getting their valuable cars to & from the track. So if you want to see all of these cars displayed together in a beautiful grass field, you will have to come to the 'Classic' on Sunday and experience this 'Gathering'! If you can manage it, it will probably be one of the best $400 you will spend for a Porsche event. z356 (Carmel)
cheers ... got tickets for both RSR@LS and Quail ... ka-ching!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Porsche Corral Parking vs VIP Parking

I ordered my tickets for Rennsport. 3 Day Pass (without Corral) and VIP Parking. Total was $100 since they add $10 for USPS shipping. But I decided to contact my sources at the track and ask for clarification as to where the Porsche Corral Parking would be located for Rennsport IV.

It turns out they are planning to use for the Porsche Corral the better 'Green' zones known as 'Lakebed', which are parking areas #4 and #5. Area #5 borders turn 2 and 3. Area #4 is next to it but also across, so it borders at one end the Andretti Hairpin but at the other end almost to turn #5. It is the parking lot you will enter directly from the Gate if you come via Route 68. And it is where traditionally Laguna Seca places the featured marque 'parking corral' for the Historics.

Additional parking for the Porsche Corral will be provided in the 'lawn' area and adjacent lots (closer to lake and the track as it approaches turn 5). The county (who owns the track) is also experimenting with some sort of fandangle wet-look 'surface' treatment that might lessen the dust in these center areas. So hopefully they will make that better for parking our sport cars. VIP parking, which the website claims will be 'Lakebed', might be moved to the other side of the track at Area #9, which is behind the Grand Stands at the main front straightaway.

My call to the office also prompted some discussions within staff at Laguna since Porsche has requested part of the 'Lakebed' Green Parking Area #5 (near Turn #3) as a possible mini-Autocross venue for Rennsport. So the parking situation is still 'fluid' but it looks like the 'Porsche Corral' is a better way to go for this event. As a result, I have asked them to switch my Parking Pass from 'VIP' to 'Porsche Corral' since the cost is the same. z356
Old 03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks. I also purchased a 3 day pass with Porsche Corral parking.

If the past is any guide, the "Classic" event is a must. The Speedster 50th Anniversary Event (June 25-27, 2004) at the Quail Lodge was just unbelievable. Heinrichs knows how to put on a good show. Plus the bulk of the ticket price is going to a worthy cause.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Or perhaps we could get a group reservation going for the Baja Cantina . . .

http://www.bajacantina.com/carmel.htm
The Cantina is a bit of a "greasy spoon" at the best of times, but it's also a horrible bottleneck location when there's events in the vicinity. It's to the south and perhaps if there was a rally point to the north along the coast (on Hwy 1 PCH somewhere) it would be good. Traffic through Monterey can be crowded and they have a habit of other events crowding the calendar through the (brief) good weather (fairgrounds and wharf are all close by.)

Maybe somebody knows how to make a rally drive in to Laguna Seca work?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV -- October 14-16th 2011

I just saw this video on YouTube and it reminded me of the Reunion.
Here it is to whet your apetite for the Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSN2kmq-jRw
(Ignore all the Aussies expressing their passion for, and devotion to all things Porsche ... there's some great cars at speed on the track at Philip Island ... I still think Moby Dick has the most "shock and awe" of any 911.)
I suggest clicking the "Like" and "Subscribe" and "Add to Favorites" so that Porsche marketing can see that their customers respond to events where they bring the cars to the track. After all, that's what it's all about -- introducing new generations of enthusiasts to the sport and to Porsches.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/rennsport-reunion-iv/

TICKETS
Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/tix_2011_Porsche

Having been at Laguna in October for the last 15+ years, I'll mention that the weather can be hot August sweltering or it can be squalling frigid rainstorms, so either way I recommend paying the extra to get access to a tent. Three days out in the elements doesn't increase the joy or splendor of the event.

If you want to make a charitable donation and see all the cars in a golf course venue without the crushing crowds and the battleground heat and noise of Laguna (when many of the cars will be moving around or hidden in paddock encampments) the Quail is a great experience. The cars will be well displayed and much more accessible for the whole day.

Quail
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Another great video -- Klaus Bischof, a mechanic turned engineer working at Porsche for 43+ years.
Interesting facts about the various great ones, especially the 935 and 962 -- personal favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIwum1Fv2TM

This from the event (I missed!) in Australia. Sets high expectations for the Reunion.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I want his job when I grow up ...

Thanksmfor posting ... Made waiting for my delayed flight at SFO enjoyable ... Thank goodness for iPads and wifi @ red carpet club!

Did you find these on the porsche channel @ YouTube?

Quick Reply: Rennsport Reunion IV - Oct 2011 at Laguna Seca