Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rennsport Reunion IV - Oct 2011 at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
How about something near the Ocean that is decent and we can stumble home to if we per chance were to visit an establishment with golden beverages?
I like your thinking, then you have to go for something in either downtown Monterey or Carmel...
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I just saw this posted at the Early 911S Registry forum. However, I don't see it anywhere else at the moment and it has a March 8th dateline. My hunch is that this was the tentative announcement subject to final approval and review by all parties involved which might have been leaked. Let's see if tomorrow's official announcement has exactly the same wording. For example, the Porsche Race Car Classic is not really a Concours (like at Pebble Beach) but a 'Gathering'. A few trophies will be handed out (e.g. historical significance, etc) but it is not a 'White Glove / Q-Tip' beauty contest! Saludos, z356

"PORSCHE ANNOUNCES RENNSPORT REUNION IV TO BE HELD IN OCTOBER
World’s Largest Gathering of Porsche Race Cars and Drivers Seeks New Frontiers, Moves West
ATLANTA, GA – March 8, 2011 — Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca today announced Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV will take place at the famed California racetrack the weekend of October 14 – 16, 2011.

Sponsored by PCNA, Rennsport Reunion IV brings together an unprecedented gathering of significant Porsche vintage and current race cars, as well those who have driven them to victory in the world’s most famous sports car races. The three-day program of on-track competition is complemented by a concours d’elegance, which is open to invited race participants, and special activities celebrating the decade-long, illustrious history of the legendary 911 race cars.

After the highly successful staging of three venues in the East, held every three years, with the first one held in Lime Rock in 2001, Rennsport Reunion IV will now be moving west, tapping a vast array of car aficionados and Porsche enthusiasts.

“While the Rennsport name has become a staple fixture for international collectors and racers over the past ten years, choosing the Monterey Peninsula will open up this one-of-a-kind gathering to the many Porsche fans in California and beyond who were previously unable to attend,” said Detlev von Platen, President and Chief Executive Officer of Porsche Cars North America. “Now they’ll have the opportunity to see, feel and hear from up close hundreds of famous Porsche race cars and dozens of their drivers from past and present during a truly memorable weekend dedicated to Porsche’s motorsport heritage.”

Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV will assemble the wide variety of Porsche’s most historic racing models from the nimble 550 Spyder of the mid-Fifties through the mighty 917 and 956/962 of the Seventies and Eighties to the highly successful RS Spyder of the last decade. Special tribute will be paid to the numerous racing versions of the Porsche 911 and their countless victories on the dawn of what will become another milestone of this iconic sports car from Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen.

“This will truly be a rare gathering of significant Porsche race cars on the West Coast,” commented Gill Campbell, CEO/general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. “Porsche has a long racing tradition in Monterey and we look forward to celebrating its heritage in a befitting manner for everyone to enjoy.”

Complementing the Rennsport Reunion IV venue is the Porsche Race Car Classic, an exclusive concours held at nearby Quail Lodge in Carmel on Sunday, October 16. Steve Heinrichs, producer of the Porsche Race Car Classic, explained, “this once-in-a-lifetime gathering of vintage Porsche race cars solely from Porsche’s break-out era of 1950-1965 will raise critical funding to directly support lung cancer research. We’ll have Gmünds, Glöcklers, 550s, 718s, 804s, 904s, 356s, Abarths and more - in numbers and provenance never before seen.”
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

It is now clear that the Quail Porsche Race Car Classic event inspired PCNA/PAG in a big way. They are probably flying-in important cars and that probably led to the idea to expand their exposure to a much larger crowd, bringing in the Rennsport Reunion to the West Coast. I think they liked the Porsche exposure in 2009 during the Monterey Car Week, along with the Panamera US launch with a Porsche Zentrum at the Quail. I bet they will use the festivities this October to present the 991 to the US. Great thinking. Great marketing!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in 100%. Right now sizing up whether to ship my car out and back (driving is too time-compressed) or to rent a Porsche from a friend in LA. We got our reservation at the Abrego sorted (though I will check those Carmel sites). Now I just need to get my tickets to the Quail on the 16th. I'm guessing if we can't make, I shouldn't have any trouble selling the tickets, right?

See you there - esp. looking forward to meeting Sr. z356 and Mr. Tony ADias (so we can discuss PDK).
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
See you there - esp. looking forward to meeting Sr. z356 and Mr. Tony ADias (so we can discuss PDK).
Looking forward to it.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Chris: Looking forward to meeting you in person, although that will probably first happen in August during the Historics.

Re: Tickets for the Porsche Race Car Classic. If they sell out, it should be no trouble selling them if you can't make it. Since it's a one-off event, they are hoping for a complete sell out since there will be limited tickets like at The Quail in August. As you know, The Quail sells out within the first hour each year, but they have built up a reputation over the years. If you cancel your trip for whatever reason, put your tickets up for sale here in Rennlist and you will get them sold, I am sure! Besides, most of the ticket price is tax-deductible and going to a worthy cause - lung cancer research. And in your tax bracket, Chris, I am sure you can use the deductions! I hope I am not presuming too much.

Saludos, z356
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I bought two tickets to the Quail as well. Please post a heads-up when the actual Reunion tickets go on sale. This will be a pricey vacation, but I think money well-spent!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch! $400 each for the Quail?! Can anyone help me justify the cost of this event the buddy that I'm going with?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Found This:
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/ne...YLTG&send_to=/

MONTEREY, Calif., March 8, 2011 — An unprecedented gathering of Porsche historic and
modern race cars from around the world, and many of the famous drivers who piloted them to
victory, will descend on Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for three days of racing, story-telling and
camaraderie at the Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV on October 14-16, 2011.

Sponsored by Porsche Cars North America, the weekend will be punctuated by on-track racing,
an open paddock for visitors to get up close to the cars and talk to their owners, and a variety of
other activities that celebrate the legendary history of Porsche.

“The Rennsport name has become a staple fixture for international collectors and racers over
the past 10 years by providing a one-of-a-kind gathering to Porsche fans,” said Detlev von
Platen, president and CEO of Porsche Cars North America. “Being that this is the first time
a Rennsport will be staged on the west coast, enthusiasts will now have an opportunity to
participate and immerse themselves in this rare Porsche experience.”

Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV will assemble the wide variety of Porsche’s most historic racing
cars. This includes models like the nimble 550 Spyder of the mid-‘50s to the mighty 917 and
956/962 of the ‘70s and ‘80s to the highly successful RS Spyder of the last decade. Special
tribute will be paid to the numerous racing versions of the Porsche 911 and their countless
victories on the dawn of what will become another milestone of this iconic sports car from
Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen.

“For sports car racing enthusiasts and Porsche fans in particular, Porsche Rennsport Reunion
IV will provide a sensory experience unlike any other event,” said Gill Campbell, CEO/general
manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. “With the event being held just every three years
and previously only on the east coast, you can be assured that Porsche Cars North America is
going all out to bring a phenomenal show in October to the Monterey Peninsula.”

An additional race feature to the all-Porsche weekend will be the Pirelli Drivers Cup. The series,
which enters its fifth year of competition, features Porsche 996 and 997 GT3 Cup Cars from
2000 through 2011.

Tickets, parking and general camping are now on sale for Porsche Rennsport Reunion
IV. General admission tickets range in price from $25 for a single-day Friday ticket to $60
for a three-day ticket and can be purchased by calling 800-327-7322 or available online at
MazdaRaceway.com.

Complementing Rennsport Reunion IV will be the Porsche Race Car Classic, an
exclusive invitation-only concours d’elegance at nearby Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley
on Sunday, October 16. This will be a rare gathering of approximately 200 vintage
Porsche race cars from 1950-1965. The event will raise funding to directly support lung
cancer research. Additional information on the concours d’elegance can be found at

www.2011PorscheRaceCarClassic.com.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca was established in 1957 and has been operated since its
inception by the Sports Car Racing Association of the Monterey Peninsula (SCRAMP), a not-
for-profit 501c(4) corporation. Each race season, SCRAMP donates its net proceeds to the
volunteer organizations that help put on the races.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca’s international 2011 racing schedule includes Ferrari Racing
Days May 21-22; Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series July 9-10; Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix
featuring MotoGP World Championship July 22-24; Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion
August 19-21; American Le Mans Series Monterey presented by Patrón September 16-18; and
Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV October 14-16.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

And this too:

http://classic.cnbc.com/id/41969421
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Now it's the 14th-16th of Oct.

I'm not sure of what to make of the $400 gig at the Quail on Sunday. What is happening at LS?

Can't find an event schedule anywhere. Yet.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have purchased tickets and made the hotel reservations. Now is the time to act, before the hotel prices increase, as they do every year for the Monterey Motorsports Reunion in August. Really.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

We need to get a bunch of RLers together and rent a whole hotel for the weekend. lol
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
We need to get a bunch of RLers together and rent a whole hotel for the weekend. lol
Or perhaps we could get a group reservation going for the Baja Cantina . . .

http://www.bajacantina.com/carmel.htm
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

This is the official PCNA Press Release.

Quick Reply: Rennsport Reunion IV - Oct 2011 at Laguna Seca