Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Akrapovic Slip-On Exhaust Installed - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audiophilitis
Polarcharger, next mod will probably be track wheels...not sure which ones at this point. Quite a few nice ones out there...HRE C40, BBS Motorsport, Vorsteiner...
Forged Alloys USA Tech-1 109 and 110 on your short list also?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:24 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, the 110. The 109 looks just like the C40 or Vorsteiner.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 AM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have looked at the Akrapovic Slip On and their Sports Cup exhaust, but I have several concerns:

First: I am not enthused about trimming the bottom of the rear bumper cover on my 997.2 to fit the Akra muffler. Will their muffler fit a 2010 GT3 without cutting on the bumper cover and adding the Akra trim piece? Akra distributors tell me that you have to cut back the bottom edge of the bumper cover, but I am not clear whether this is necessary for clearance to the muffler, or just to add the trim piece.

Second: there appears to be a hugh (50%) drop off in torque at low revs relative to the factory exhaust. Do you folks see this as a big issue, especially if you drive your 3 on the street? A big advantage to us newbie's on the track is the decent torque of the GT3.2 at low revs that allows us to pull out of corners without always downshifting, and I hate to loose this abilty by giving up too much low end torque.

Third: how noisy is the Akra Sports Cup exhaust compared to the factory exhaust? I have a GMG center pipe on my car which I love (great build and nice sound), but the sound output is pretty loud at the track when I wind out close to redline. I plugged the side muffler vac control to keep the side mufflers active duing my last track event in 2010 because of complaints about my noise.

Fourth: Akra is very expensive. Fab Speed offers side muffler by pass pipes that will connect the factory header/cats to the factory rear mufller for about $1300. Does anyone have experince with these bypass pipes?

The technical information on this forum has been very helpful and contributed to my decision to buy a GT3.2. I appreciate your comments on my above concerns.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

The Akra center muffler/tips will fit with the stock .2 GT3 bumper. However, you risk melting the black plastic trim, or even part of the bumper skin due to lack of clearance with the larger diameter Akra tips (100mm).
Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by audiophilitis
CREx, new parts are the center muffler, tips and carbon trim. Thx.
Can you post link to the product?

Any weight loss?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

http://www.akrapovic.com/car-exhaust...on-bb1093012a/

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website. Weight loss is negligible as I only have the center muffler replacement (aka "slip-on" model). They have several other configurations including replacement of the headers, cats, side mufflers, or bypass of side mufflers -- all using titanium parts.

Quick Reply: Akrapovic Slip-On Exhaust Installed - Pics