Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Long Term .2 GT3 Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Long Term .2 GT3 Report

OK, 19 months and exactly 12K miles on my 2010 GT3. Thought I'd share my experience and would like to hear feedback from others now that the car has been out awhile.

First off I have to say that this has been the best and most enjoyable car I have ever owned. It's my 47th vehicle, and 3rd Porsche BTW.

FWIW the car has 4 DE's, 5 AutoX's, numerous road trips and weekend PCA and club outings, and a pilgrimage to the Tail of the Dragon. It's strictly a weekend/ fun car, but it has been absolutely dead nuts reliable. Three oil changes and I have not used a drop of oil to date....none! Replaced rear brake pads, fronts are about ready, replaced brake fluid with SRF, about ready for another change, and am on my 3rd set of Cup tires, with a set of PS2's for the street on GMG WC wheels. Thats it. I have had the car checked by the dealer prior to DE events and paid the piper for the annual inspection. In short this car has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive......... Just hope I don't jinx myself now.

The only mods have been a GMG RSR roll bar, GMG wheels, and a clear bra. I plan on getting seats in the future, only option I wish I had ordered, and adding a 6 point harness.

Other than that I couldn't wish for anything more. I am a recent promo to the White/Solo run group, with admitedly much to learn, so I'm obviously not as hard on the car as many of the posters here, but what a marvelous machine! First car I've ever owned that I'm not searching for something "better". I just love this Car!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Preacher (KBS911) meet the choir
choir meet the preacher

:-)

In all seiousness, good for you.... I love these cars... all the GT3 variants...
Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you for the review!

Great to know I am making the right decision buying a 997.2 GT3. Looking forward to joining the club!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thus far I have 6K mi. on the clock, although it is not enough to truly judge the merits of the car, thus far my experiences have been very positive as well. No oil issues, great drives, excellent noises, very comfortable for my taste. I am only wishing it will continue this way for many years to come.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

+1
7000 miles and love it.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no long term owner, just got mine last week, but every time I drive the thing, I just think "It couldn't be better." A let a buddy of mine drive it yesterday -- former Porsche technician, P-car enthusiast, a lot track experience, driven every imaginable variant of the 911 -- and he said after 10 minutes, "It's perfect. I don't know what to say."

Pretty much the same for me -- the addition of GT2 bucket seats are the only thing I'd change. Anyone want to swap buckets for adaptive seats?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jlr
I'm no long term owner, just got mine last week, but every time I drive the thing, I just think "It couldn't be better." A let a buddy of mine drive it yesterday -- former Porsche technician, P-car enthusiast, a lot track experience, driven every imaginable variant of the 911 -- and he said after 10 minutes, "It's perfect. I don't know what to say."

Pretty much the same for me -- the addition of GT2 bucket seats are the only thing I'd change. Anyone want to swap buckets for adaptive seats?
it is a crime they make these cars with electric lazy-boys

All GT3 should come standard with GT2 type buckets......the customer should be charged extra to buy the car with any other seat........and be forced to test drive a Carerra 4S or Turbo if considering the ***
Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Originally Posted by jlr

it is a crime they make these cars with electric lazy-boys

All GT3 should come standard with GT2 type buckets......the customer should be charged extra to buy the car with any other seat........and be forced to test drive a Carerra 4S or Turbo if considering the ***
+1 ...and I have the damn sofa seats! Working on changing that, tho'.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Working on changing that, tho'.
I'm going to be holding 964 parts sale soon to raise a bit of cash for those buckets.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
PNUT
Instructor

i have had mine for almost 2 years now with over 19,000 miles and couldn't agree more. i still get excited about driving this thing. like you i am not looking to "upgrade" as this car is just amazing.

also no oil issued with use or rms drips. just been totally reliable.

alan
Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by PNUT
i have had mine for almost 2 years now with over 19,000 miles and couldn't agree more. i still get excited about driving this thing. like you i am not looking to "upgrade" as this car is just amazing.

also no oil issued with use or rms drips. just been totally reliable.

alan
Wow, 19K, you are really driving that thing. Nice to hear on the oil too. I sometimes wonder if my gauge is off, but it read the same after oil changes. Good is good, I'll take it.

I agree on the seats as well. The car should come standard with the sport seats with A.S.S. an option. Waiting on ATL Fahrer to lead the way on seat alternatives since he's at a much higher level of ability/understanding than me. There is so much to choose from and the factory seats are just so damn expensive.

I'm going to the Sebring 12 hours on the 19th, (already got my tickets for the P Corral) there are usually some seats on display. Hopefully I can get a better feel for what fits me best. Anyone else headed to Sebring?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

One thing on the factory seats - they come with side airbags. Most of the aftermarket stuff doesn't. The more I look, the more I'm liking the GT2 cloth seats for about $5500++ at Suncoast, or, used (hard to find!)
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Tomorrow I'm looking at a 2010 GT3 with 10K miles on. It has just about every option on it. I'm a little nervous about the miles but after reading this, I feel a little better.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firefisher
Tomorrow I'm looking at a 2010 GT3 with 10K miles on. It has just about every option on it. I'm a little nervous about the miles but after reading this, I feel a little better.
10K mi. is nothing on Porsches. I had a Cayman that I sold at 75K mi., 18K of it was track miles. The car absolutely flawlessly still. I had engine leak down and compression tests done before sale, they both came back perfect, almost as if new. You cannot say that with many other brands.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:19 AM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice to hear these reviews. I havent had a chance to drive my new 2011 car. I have only 30 miles so far...Looking for good weather so that i can start driving and enjoying the car.

Quick Reply: Long Term .2 GT3 Report