Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Color to sample

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
GrayTT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
No, I like it. but I have Gulf livery on my Radical. Turquoise blue right?
Sorry about the iPhone pix.... its actually R.Blue
Old 03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said.

Originally Posted by Z356
PAG is not doing PTS for free. It is currently $5,500 since MY2010. It used to be around $4500 a few years ago. So, there is little excuse.

Tacet - Nobody called your bluff because we are already shell-shocked and would not be surprised if it was true. What is certain is that PAG allow at least three well-connected individuals get PTS on their gt2RS and not the others. If I had just put up more than a quarter of a million dollars to buy a built to my own specs / special order car from Porsche, I also would have liked to have that PTS option offered to me.

Alan - PTS is allowed by PCNA in many of their models, including Boxsters, but chooses not to offer it on their most exclusive & expensive current model in the US? Certainly not worried about lease returns on this vehicle! And a side agreement re: larger deposit for PTS could be drawn up by the lawyers. Where there is a will, there is a way. No, I don't think lack of PTS on the gt2RS was a matter of concern for odd colors. PAG does exercise the 'right' to refuse to do any color combination they don't like for whatever reason they choose. Including that it would be hard to sell should the person ordering the car changes his mind! And by allowing at least three samples in PTS, it tells all of us that it was perfectly feasible and doable from a technical/production point of view.

It is, in my opinion, another example of bad marketing & execution by PAG at the highest levels. Either have a consistent PTS policy or no policy at all. These 'exceptions' to their own arbitrary rules show a lack of concern & consideration in satisfying the wishes of ALL of their clients, not just a priviledged few. And I am sure it doesn't sit well with SOME of the folks that just paid for their gt2 RS's that would have wished for PTS instead. z356
Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that's called, save 5k+ and have all the red changed to black once it arrives.

Originally Posted by GrayTT
PTS gone wrong??...?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
GrayTT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe S.
I think that's called, save 5k+ and have all the red changed to black once it arrives.
Not mine... just saw it at the dealer in Bahrain
Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re: Paint-to-Sample - Who does it?

The ability to order Paint-to-Sample (PTS) is fairly rare to find among German auto manufacturers today. To my knowledge, Mercedes doesn't currently allow it in US. If you want variety, we can choose from a few pre-selected Designo packages (e.g. Espresso Mocha) in certain models. BMW also frowns upon Paint-to-Sample. If you want your M3 in 'Orange', like their 'hot' ROW M3 GTS, you are out of luck! BMW did start experimenting with some special paint & interior schemes for the 7 series a few years ago, but I don't think that went anywhere due to either low demand or lack of marketing effort.

Audi has been, generally, a little more daring in colors offered on their cars. For example, we have seen 'Solar Orange' and 'Maritime Blue' in certain sporty models. VW has also experimented with unusual colors too. Most of you will remember their 'Fahrenheit Orange' gti. But I don't think VW allows PTS on their models.

When I explored ordering an Audi R8, I got in contact with the Audi Exclusive people in the US (based in Virginia) re: Paint-to-Sample on that model. Interestingly, for the first few years you could choose any color for your R8 for only $2500. Few ever did that since most people don't know it's even available and Audi dealers don't know, much less market, that option. Just recently, Audi adjusted its Audi Exclusive prices. If you want an 'available' Audi color (e.g. Suzuka Grey or Solar Orange), you still pay only $2500. But if you want true Paint to Sample (e.g. Porsche's 'Riviera Blue' on your R8) it will cost you over $6000 to get it (if they even allow it!).

I recently tried to order a Boxster Spyder in PTS. My Colorado dealer took it all the way to PCNA and the latter up to PAG. We didn't get approval for a MY2011 allocation, although I suspect, if there is a MY2012 Spyder, they will finally allow PTS.

But I didn't give up on PTS. I couldn't resist the urge to have my next Porsche in another unusual exterior color. So I convinced an old 356 friend that had purchased new a MY2007 Carrera S in PTS - in a rare 'Signal Green' color - to part with this special car. I know of only two other 997's in this color in the US. Personally, I think it's stunning. It is a color that heralds back to 1968 and the early 911's. It has more yellow tint than either 'Viper Green' or 'RS Green', both which have more blue in their color. I have attached an old photo from a past R Gruppe event that shows this 'Signal Green' 997 and a gt3 RS done in 'RS Green' parked side by side. The difference is very noticeable! By the way, that 'RS Green' gt3RS was subsequently bought, I believe, by Mikymu, a member of this forum.

My 'Signal Green' 997.1 now joins two other colorful Porsches in my small collection - a special order, and rare, 'Crystal Blue' 1970 911E Targa and a striking 'Signal Yellow' 1973 911T Sunroof Coupe. So yes, I think PTS is a rare option among German manufacturers. And for the few companies that do offer a choice, it's a seldom used option. I don't know for how much longer Porsche and others will allow it. They could also make it so expensive that it will not be feasible for most of us. So take advantage of it while you can! Saludos, z356 (Carmel)
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

^ big difference in color. I guess the RS green is really not the signal green as so many have called the color on the RS that.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 AM
GrayTT
Intermediate

Z356; lovely color... here is a friend PTS

Name:  LOW_0168.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  157.1 KB
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
renntech36
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S/GT3
Cobalt. It took a letter to Detlev Von Platen to get it....and accoding to Porsche, it is the only 997.2 painted Cobalt in the world.
great looking car. There is another Cobalt Blue 997.2 GT3 with Black wheels on it here in Jacksonville, FL. I drool when I see it and feel minor in my .1
Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 PM
GrayTT
Intermediate

A better pic of the GT3RS in PTS, oh and some old Porsche next to it... LOL

Name:  89d5c7f6.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  113.0 KB
Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Last word on Signal Green - this is one of my favorites:

You guys are killing me with these PTS GT cars... I want one so bad!

Quick Reply: Color to sample