Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Color to sample

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Gulf Blue was a difficult acquisition from Porsche.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Gulf Blue

When I was considering a PTS gt3 back in the fall of 2009, I was witness to a telephone call between my local Monterey dealer and PCNA where we were told that 'Gulf' blue would NOT be acceptable to PAG. Later I was told it was because of copyright issues with Gulf Oil company. I believe the last official 'Gulf' blue PTS was on a Carrera GT a few years ago. I am surprised PAG is allowing it now, unless they have changed the hue slightly for Tacet and can call it something other than 'Gulf', at least officially.

But perhaps nothing should surprise me anymore about PAG. Who would have thought (after all the attempts by good, loyal customers and repeated refusals by PAG) that they would allow three gt2RS to be done PTS, including GrayTT's Riviera and the Aqua in England? It might be good news for these 'lucky' individuals but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many other customers that would have preferred their expensive cars to be also individualized with PTS. z356
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the world has been like this for a few years...
witness the revolt happening in the middle-east.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
the world has been like this for a few years...
witness the revolt happening in the middle-east.
Jimmy, you are not suggesting we revolt here in the West too over PTS...perhaps storm up to Zuffenhausen and exile that interloper CEO transferred from Wolfsburg, Herr Matthias Mueller...Or are you? Ok, sounds good, I am in. z356
Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
I wonder what the Porsche formula is for turning this on and off.
Seems that PTS is more readily available overseas. I would guess that other countries do not have the consumer protection laws that we have, which enable a potential buyer to walk away from an expensive (and perhaps undesireable) PTS car.

It does appear that exceptions are made for the US market; perhaps customer relationships and colors specified are factors, and I'm sure production timing is a consideration as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
My Gulf Blue GT3RS is do at the dealership any day now. Also got the GT3RS lettering in the matching Orange. Sasha had to pull some strings for me./
THAT'S COOL! can't believe you were able to pull that off, can't wait to see pix
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Jimmy, you are not suggesting we revolt here in the West too over PTS...perhaps storm up to Zuffenhausen and exile that interloper CEO transferred from Wolfsburg, Herr Matthias Mueller...Or are you? Ok, sounds good, I am in. z356

haha totally! "carreragt" can be our leader!
make a stand for equal pts rights...
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But perhaps nothing should surprise me anymore about PAG. Who would have thought (after all the attempts by good, loyal customers and repeated refusals by PAG) that they would allow three gt2RS to be done PTS, including GrayTT's Riviera and the Aqua in England? It might be good news for these 'lucky' individuals but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many other customers that would have preferred their expensive cars to be also individualized with PTS. z356

Not that I dislike my white / red combo, but I agree with you.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

can you blame porsche? by not offering PTS, efficiency is improved. No need to mix new paint. Since, they didn't get enough orders, they had to make changes with their strict no PTS policy. it's all about the bottom line $$. I don't buy this "not a parts bin" routine one little bit.

I bet that if porsche had time, then would offer a GT2 RS LE also.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Sorry felles I was waiting for some to call bull**** on me. I thought for a moment somebody would with the discussion with PCNA.

Sorry to disappoint but my GT3RS in Gulf Blue is pure Vapor-Ware. The only way to pull that off would be to get the car painted that color when you get it.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 9972RS
can you blame porsche? by not offering PTS, efficiency is improved. No need to mix new paint. Since, they didn't get enough orders, they had to make changes with their strict no PTS policy. it's all about the bottom line $$. I don't buy this "not a parts bin" routine one little bit.
PAG is not doing PTS for free. It is currently $5,500 since MY2010. It used to be around $4500 a few years ago. So, there is little excuse.

Tacet - Nobody called your bluff because we are already shell-shocked and would not be surprised if it was true. What is certain is that PAG allow at least three well-connected individuals get PTS on their gt2RS and not the others. If I had just put up more than a quarter of a million dollars to buy a built to my own specs / special order car from Porsche, I also would have liked to have that PTS option offered to me.

Alan - PTS is allowed by PCNA in many of their models, including Boxsters, but chooses not to offer it on their most exclusive & expensive current model in the US? Certainly not worried about lease returns on this vehicle! And a side agreement re: larger deposit for PTS could be drawn up by the lawyers. Where there is a will, there is a way. No, I don't think lack of PTS on the gt2RS was a matter of concern for odd colors. PAG does exercise the 'right' to refuse to do any color combination they don't like for whatever reason they choose. Including that it would be hard to sell should the person ordering the car changes his mind! And by allowing at least three samples in PTS, it tells all of us that it was perfectly feasible and doable from a technical/production point of view.

It is, in my opinion, another example of bad marketing & execution by PAG at the highest levels. Either have a consistent PTS policy or no policy at all. These 'exceptions' to their own arbitrary rules show a lack of concern & consideration in satisfying the wishes of ALL of their clients, not just a priviledged few. And I am sure it doesn't sit well with SOME of the folks that just paid for their gt2 RS's that would have wished for PTS instead. z356
Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Sorry felles I was waiting for some to call bull**** on me. I thought for a moment somebody would with the discussion with PCNA.

Sorry to disappoint but my GT3RS in Gulf Blue is pure Vapor-Ware. The only way to pull that off would be to get the car painted that color when you get it.
Hey, Tim. Why not just have your DD painted in Gulf Blue? Did you say you leased it? You can live out your fantasy and Hyundai will probably never even notice when you take it back! Then, when your IPO comes along... the real McCoy.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
GrayTT
Intermediate

PTS gone wrong??...?

Name:  05b69a66.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  116.5 KB
Name:  7ff8e390.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  107.9 KB
Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
va122
Drifting

No, I like it. but I have Gulf livery on my Radical. Turquoise blue right?

Quick Reply: Color to sample