Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Back from VIR, What a Car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed your write-up. I will be picking up my "new" GT3 this weekend. Just curious...what tires were you running and do you have a harness installed or just used the stock belts?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
My guess is that it is partially LSD related but make sure you are running 2mm per side rear toe in, run the wing at near max and likely stiffen the front bar by one hole

If the car is loose on entry there, I just can't imagine the car being remotely easy to drive fast.

Did you turn into 16 under power and then trail brake to 17? If so, was the car also loose here?

Or, how about turn 10, where you trailing the brakes to the apex here? was it stable?
Thank you for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Rear toe is +2.2 mm, the car did not feel terribly loose, but I had 3 psi difference between front and rear tire pressures, I played between 2 and 3 psi. I am not sure what the right setting is, but I did not spend much time with it as these are my street tires and I'll be getting Pirellis for next event.

T10 was fine, no issues at all there, but I can carry a little more speed there. Although on Sunday I picked up couple of mph on T11, Oak Tree.

You put salt on my wound for Hog Pen (T16-17), I never quite learned how do it right or have the guts to do it right. I am trailing into 16, slowing too much, then I power out of T17. But again with few tips from Skip, I gained about +5 mph through T17, but it still isn't quite right. Something to keep working on

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Congrats on your maiden voyage Fatih, at the track anyway. Glad you are happy with the new machine. You, Brian, and Skip have got the jump on me.
Thank you Larry, I wish you were there, you would have had a lot of fun, all of us. Hope to see you in March buddy.
Originally Posted by Nizer
Congrats on pulling off a VIR event this time of year. It's been a harsh winter for the Mid-alantic.

Update: another system on the way - looks like you really threaded the needle....
You ain't kidding, it hit 80 deg on Saturday, I have a burned face, lips and hands, I wasn't expecting and had no suntan lotion. But now, it is literally icing, there is about 1/4" ice on the ground already.
Originally Posted by mooty
it leans, but it still has grip.
however my lower back is f up from mt bk'g. so if too much lean, i try to straighten up then after 20 min session, i can't stand up or get out of the car. that's what happened when i drove the 2010 RS at TH first time. then fixed it with 3200mg of ibu., yeah, i tend to overdose on those....
I have to admit, although I love the seats, I was sore this morning when I woke up, I wonder if it was the seats or me just being tense during the weekend.

Originally Posted by rmag
Must feel good to have popped your cherry with it. I find T3 to be a bit of a 4 wheel drifter, so just tweak the wheel to the right and get on the gas, you'll be fine.

Heard weather was great. I'm bummed.. my friend who is racing in the Patron challenge this year rented VIR out today (75 degrees out), and invited me to bring my car. Open track all day with only 2 other cup cars on it. This week is the only time in 5 years where I couldn't reschedule to get to the track!
Thank you Ryan. I really wish you were there, I needed your tips badly. But I am looking forward to exploring this car for years to come.

Looking at the weather, maybe it is good that you could not go, it must be nasty down there.

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
First and foremost, I love to see threads like this where someone has a ton of enthusiasm for their car for what it is. It is just so fantastic to hear people truly love their cars and getting out there on track with their cars doing what they are designed to do, go fast!
Thank you, I love driving cars, and I do drive this one daily just like any other.

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
OK Mr FlyingToaster, here are the details. Open track for 2 days with David Murry in the paddock reviewing data and video for you til you are blue in the face. He is around all day for the two days to answer any questions for you. He will not go out for a ride in your car as his program seems to be more of trying to help as many as he can in the paddock. Did I say open track with NO run groups for 2 days? It would be great for you to attend also as I am planning on bringing my GT3 also and would love to try to keep up with you. Bring plenty of gas and brake pads and other stuff. It would be great if you could come!

http://davidmurry.com/
You know it sounds wonderful, a lot of track time and expertise where and when you need it; I really would love to, especially with so many of the GT guys being there, but I have to be at the NY Auto Show on the 22nd, bright and early and I cannot cancel that one I am sure you all will have a lot of fun and enjoy David's expertise.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Flying, thanks for the great write up. It felt like I was in the car with you as you described everything. My 1st time there in my gt3 I was running 2:18's and now I've done 2:09's with more to go. I've only been there a few times but I love it every time except for when it rains for 3 days with the zone 2 event a couple years ago.
I am so glad you liked it and appreciate your kind words. I am hoping I will get there in terms of lap times, but I know I have to be patient and just enjoy the journey towards

Here are few more pics.

We arrived to VIR after sunset on Thursday, got into the tech line before dinner:

I feel so manly with my ridiculous tools just to remove/put on darn CL wheels. But no one was messing with me in the paddock knowing what I have

BMAN's GT2 and my 3 patiently waiting for their track time:

It was really a gorgeous weekend, could not have asked for better:
Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks good in white
Old 02-22-2011, 01:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

You know it sounds wonderful, a lot of track time and expertise where and when you need it; I really would love to, especially with so many of the GT guys being there, but I have to be at the NY Auto Show on the 22nd, bright and early and I cannot cancel that one I am sure you all will have a lot of fun and enjoy David's expertise.
Flying Toaster; Fatih, too bad you can't make it, now you know why I can't be in NY.

Jenk12m; White is the color Mike! I hope the new one makes it there It will be great to see you there again in April.

TDM; You sold me on the event when you went last time. Look forward to meet you finally!

There's going to be a lot of GT cars..
Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 PM
talcoldone
Rennlist Member

Peter after VIR you should park your car and hauler here in N.C. www.winningcollection.com and go to the Glen with Chin in May
we are. Tom #97
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

Thanks for the offer, vut I am taking Erik's car up as well and there is no way his wife allows him more then one out of state event.

I am still trying to put my car on the boat to Europe right after VIR.
If I fail, I am looking at going North. There is no event anywhere the weekend of April 23+24 after VIR.
Chin cancelled the delayed AMP event the 23rd.

Leaving it there 2 weeks till May is a bit long, I was looking at a few options:
Nasa Watkins Glen May 2+3, but I have not run with NASA for years..
PCA Road America May 6+7
CHIN Watkins Glen May 9+10
PCA Mid Ohio 3 day event 13+14+15..
Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM
talcoldone
Rennlist Member

As much as you like VIR you would love The Glen! TWC
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I was with Fatih at VIR this past weekend and it was also my first time in a GT, and in a 911, and in a harness and in a hans. Needless to say the first session on Friday was sensory overload.

Sorry for the cheesy Seinfeld reference but my first impression of the GT2 was NOTHING!

It was the strangest thing.... the car didn't offer much feedback in terms of grip and stability. There was a obvious sense of speed and awesome braking but the car wasn't talking to me. Like Fatih I am coming from Cayman that I've tracked for a little less than 2 years. It's by no means intended as an insult (I am keeping the Cayman) but the GT2 is so solid compared to the Cayman. By the 2nd session I began to understand the the GT2 simply filtered much of the noise and vibration that was common in the Cayman. The GT2 was cleary talking to me but I was accustomed to yelling.

TPC set the car up and did an incredible job. I grew with confidence very quickly because the car was so stable. It's a bit tight and was pushing in T1 and the top of the roller coaster. But was very stable in putting down power. Perfect setup for learning.

I intended to run with the nannies until I could run clean laps without them coming on. Traction control was on constantly in the first session and was concerning but once my 888's got scrubbed, it stopped. When I finally had the confidence to turn SC off I was faced with several people looking for rides. So I complied, gave rides in 3 sessions and left the nannies on for safety. No regrets and was happy to have car home in one piece.

Scales were open at VIR for the races. Full tank of gas and me (195lbs) 3533lbs.

With passengers and trying to take it "somewhat" easy I ran a few 2:10's with open track. I didn't have my Smarty Cam on for what I believe was my best solo session, Sunday morning but it felt a second or two quicker.

Looking forward to Zone 2 and more time in the GT2!

Btw, Fatih thanks for the ride in the GT3. It was awesome!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bman
Scales were open at VIR for the races. Full tank of gas and me (195lbs) 3533lbs.

Looking forward to Zone 2 and more time in the GT2!

Btw, Fatih thanks for the ride in the GT3. It was awesome!
Brian, it was very good to see you and the car finally, VIR was certainly much more enjoyable with you and Skip. Also, thank you very much for the driving tips, as I get more accustomed to the car, I am sure I will be able to take advantage of them.

You reminded me... I weighed my car as well with half tank gas and it was 3195 lbs, but I am not tellin' how much with me in it
Old 02-22-2011, 05:07 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Flying Toaster; Fatih, too bad you can't make it, now you know why I can't be in NY.
I certainly do understand, it would have been good to have you. However, it still works out, we can cover two separate events this way I will try to get you couple of things before you VIR event.

Cheers,
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats guys... Fatih, when will i see your car around the shop?

Glad you are enjoying it mr. walsh.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cparkin
Congrats guys... Fatih, when will i see your car around the shop?

Glad you are enjoying it mr. walsh.
Very very soon, probably this week actually

Quick Reply: Back from VIR, What a Car!!!