Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Will a set of track wheel fit inside the 997.2 GT3RS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM
Don't crash and then you will not need to go to the hospital!
That's a good one!

I even thought about leaving something permanently at the track parking lot. I know relatively well the people who run the track, and the parking lot is huge, almost never full.

I may risk running on the BFG-R1 on the highway and be extra carefull. Anyway I will try to learn the car on the OEM tires first. Being honest I am somewhat aprehensive of this car - rear engine etc.
My dad had a bad accident with a 1985 911S during the Mecsek rally in Hungary. I was never allowed to drive that car.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
That's a good one!

I may risk running on the BFG-R1 on the highway and be extra carefull. Anyway I will try to learn the car on the OEM tires first. Being honest I am somewhat aprehensive of this car - rear engine etc.

My dad had a bad accident with a 1985 911S during the Mecsek rally in Hungary. I was never allowed to drive that car.
Do pls consider liability issues--if anything happens (not that we want it to--but many of us have similar concerns) you'll give your insurance company grounds to deny coverage. Worse, your counterparty's lawyers will have a field day building their case against a driver running who chose to run a high performance car with minimal tire tread on highways. The DOT rating won't absolve you from the the latter point.

I like your idea of the permanent parking spot trackside... definitely better than hauling stuff around everytime!!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I can chime in on this. You do NOT need to remove the passenger seat but you cannot do it if you have a roll bar. I did it with my 996 GT3 for a couple years before going to trailering. You can fit 3 in the back of the car (2 rear, 1 front) and one front on the passenger seat. To do this, first fold up passenger seat back. Take one rear and place it in the cubby behind drivers seat (seat may need to be up a bit). Wheel is in facing in the normal direction of travel. Next roll the front wheel onto the armrest and lean it there while you put the other rear wheel behind the passenger seat. You have to hold that wheel back a bit as you push the passenger seat back in place. Then roll the front wheel back over the rear hump. The other front tire goes on the passenger seat and then I would move it forward with some cushioning so I could wedge it against the glove box.

The tire rack sells tire "cozies" that you can wrap around them so they are not so messy though you will likely still scuff up the interior a bit. The front trunk and remaining cubbies are quite large. I could fit a jack, jack stands, toolbox, helmet and track gear, and much other misc junk without much trouble. I got pretty good at it in fact. I temporarily moved to towing a tire trailer from the back of the car using the Willwood hitch (didn't love it though) and eventually gave in to trailex and tow vehicle last year (must admit much nicer). Let me know if you have any trouble.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by johnr265
I can chime in on this. You do NOT need to remove the passenger seat but you cannot do it if you have a roll bar. I did it with my 996 GT3 for a couple years before going to trailering. You can fit 3 in the back of the car (2 rear, 1 front) and one front on the passenger seat. To do this, first fold up passenger seat back. Take one rear and place it in the cubby behind drivers seat (seat may need to be up a bit). Wheel is in facing in the normal direction of travel. Next roll the front wheel onto the armrest and lean it there while you put the other rear wheel behind the passenger seat. You have to hold that wheel back a bit as you push the passenger seat back in place. Then roll the front wheel back over the rear hump. The front tire goes on the passenger seat and then I would move it forward with some cushioning so I could wedge it against the glove box.

The tire rack sells tire "cozies" that you can wrap around them so they are not so messy though you will likely still scuff up the interior a bit. The front trunk and remaining cubbies are quite large. I could fit a jack, jack stands, toolbox, helmet and track gear, and much other misc junk without much trouble. I got pretty good at it in fact. I temporarily moved to towing a tire trailer from the back of the car using the Willwood hitch and eventually gave in to trailex and tow vehicle last year (must admit much nicer). Let me know if you have any trouble.
There is actually one roll bar that will allow you to do this.
The TC Design roll bar.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
In my 6GT3 with a roll bar and GT3 seats I couldn't get a single tire into it. Plus it's not only tires; for the .2 you need the 10' torque wrench plus jack and if you really want to be cool a set of Jack Point stands because you need to have the car in the air to torque the center lock wheels properly. Then there's the driving suit and helmet and Hans device and spanky driving shoes plus plus plus it never ends. AND you're in one of the fastest cars on the planet on a race track you really should put a proper bar and seats into it and wear all of the above safety equipment.....hate to be the one to point it out but you're hooped...buy the trailer Mooty is the resident expert on how to get all this past your wife....
Déjà vu
Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Or this
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

yes, they will fit.
you have to pm NJGT.
he can fit a house in his fiat, i kid you not.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Or this
Looks comical but ain't half bad when I come to think about it... is this a pre-fabricated rack?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Looks comical but ain't half bad when I come to think about it... is this a pre-fabricated rack?
Don't know, but probably just the P crossbars with a piece of 3/4" plywood or similar. Unless there is Tequipement platform available?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

if its a .2 RS it doesn't have roof rack attachments.

just make your wife follow you in a support car with wheels and kids. thats what i do ;-)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
if its a .2 RS it doesn't have roof rack attachments.

just make your wife follow you in a support car with wheels and kids. thats what i do ;-)
Now THAT's an understanding wife. Mine doesn't come within a 50-feet radius of anything related to the track... she'd rather be spending money on shoes while I drive around in circles.

Then again, I think her hobby is still cheaper than mine
Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus F
This could be a good solution, some guys are doing this and they seem very comfortable,..
http://www.willwoodsystem.com/assets...ch-Trailer.JPG
What a great and very clean set up. Custom trailer? or what brand?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnr265
I can chime in on this. You do NOT need to remove the passenger seat but you cannot do it if you have a roll bar. I did it with my 996 GT3 for a couple years before going to trailering. You can fit 3 in the back of the car (2 rear, 1 front) and one front on the passenger seat. To do this, first fold up passenger seat back. Take one rear and place it in the cubby behind drivers seat (seat may need to be up a bit). Wheel is in facing in the normal direction of travel. Next roll the front wheel onto the armrest and lean it there while you put the other rear wheel behind the passenger seat. You have to hold that wheel back a bit as you push the passenger seat back in place. Then roll the front wheel back over the rear hump. The other front tire goes on the passenger seat and then I would move it forward with some cushioning so I could wedge it against the glove box.

The tire rack sells tire "cozies" that you can wrap around them so they are not so messy though you will likely still scuff up the interior a bit. The front trunk and remaining cubbies are quite large. I could fit a jack, jack stands, toolbox, helmet and track gear, and much other misc junk without much trouble. I got pretty good at it in fact. I temporarily moved to towing a tire trailer from the back of the car using the Willwood hitch (didn't love it though) and eventually gave in to trailex and tow vehicle last year (must admit much nicer). Let me know if you have any trouble.

Thanks for the detailed instruction!! I will try to do this. It is much easier in the M3 but the same concept. (I got several sets of tirerack bags.) Asking my wife to carry tires for me to the track is asking for trouble. She is working on Fridays, and eventhough she occasionaly drives her MX-5 on the track she just cannot get over the fact that we are buying a new car again. So she does not really like the GT3RS right now. I will let her drive it just to cool things down- but not on the track.

Quick Reply: Will a set of track wheel fit inside the 997.2 GT3RS??