Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Epic Chris Harris Ferrari Rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

After paying $200 bucks each to get into Pebble Beach CDE, I found it incredibly dickish of the Ferrari guys to not even let us go and touch their cars. I can afford one, but wanted a Porsche because it was less flash. This definitely solidified my resolve.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:46 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny pic.. !
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Is that you A. Wayne?

Your boy Alonso benefitted from that MO. See my avatar for explaination....
You missed the point. I didn't say anything that isn't true. Under your precious (Todt, Brawn and Schumi) regime the Ferrari F1 team adopted this mentality and it continues until today.

While I disagree with it, I don't judge them for it. In fact I don't even just blamed them for it. I also blame the organizations that allow them to get away with it, whether it's FIA or an automobile magazine, no one is above or greater than the integrity of the sport/business. Shame on all parties. These organizations are their accomplices and facilitators.

I will say that I believe, as does Chris Harris, that Ferrari (either the production cars nor the F1 team) doesn't need to do this.

Oh yeah Alonso (though I think he's the best of the current crop) is not my boy. Sadly my boy is currently in one heck of race against Clark, Fangio and Gilles, somewhere (I hope). See my avatar for explanation.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ayrton rip
Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 PM
whiterabbit
6th Gear

[QUOTE=winkingchef;8307733]After paying $200 bucks each to get into Pebble Beach CDE, I found it incredibly dickish of the Ferrari guys to not even let us go and touch their cars. I can afford one, but wanted a Porsche because it was less flash. This definitely solidified my resolve.[/QUOTE

I can relate to this. I always owned used 911's and when I got some money I gave Ferrari a go. Nice car but the attitute of lots of the owners and dealers is a joke. Its all about how few miles you drive and milking you for uneeded service.

A couple of years ago for example I wasn't allowed to park my Ferrari in the so called 'Ferrari coral" at Road Atlanta because I hadn't paid the local dealer for the privilige. All the Porsches could park in their area without any of this BS. Likewise in my area at least all Ferrari owners want to do is park at some remote parking lot and tell everyone how great their never driven cars are. Its even gone to the extent at the biggest monthly car show in Atlanta that the local dealer takes a f**king truck with new models, ropes them off and denies parking for the real enthusiasts who want to go to the show with their regular cars.

Now I have a 911 again and have escaped the "Ferrari dream" what a crock of BS it is...............I think/hope things were different in the Dinos day but maybe not?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold
Preuninger is a bit of a spinner too in my opinion.... but thats business. Either way, Chris Harris rocks!
If you consider his role, his remarks and even his job title, Mr Preuninger is part of the sales and marketing of the product. If he has a conventional "Product Management" role, his involvement in engineering, R&D is at arm's length and he reports to an exec in management.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is sad to hear that a company capable of producing great cars has to stoop down to this level. Does anyone want to take a guess as to what the Ferrari engineers are doing to change the cars for the press tests? I'd be very curious to hear.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
whiterabbit
6th Gear

well for sure different tire compounds and I would also guess ECU tinkering...........
Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sad, but not shocking, to see a company resort to this garabage to push their brand...

Looking at the forest among the trees, I'd expect to the see the web evolve (following Facebook's lead) to solve this problem through independent means. Think about it - a website like Rennlist could conceivably publish both testing criteria AND certified results using cars off the assembly-line. If the busines model generated enough revenue from subscriptions or advertising, they might even be able to employ automotive journalists. At minimum, they could assign crediblity scores to "members" and certify their results at approved testing centers around the globe. The goal would be to allow for credible feedback on performance and specs and bypass the manufacturers hype machine...

I personally saw the power of the internet with the Linux movement a decade back. Social media will definitely push that boundary. What is holding us back today is the credibility of the anonymous poster...

My $0.02 of ramblings...
-B

against a list of measures. This could be the next generation of Consumer Reports but based on real numbers
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Sad, but not shocking, to see a company resort to this garabage to push their brand...

Looking at the forest among the trees, I'd expect to the see the web evolve (following Facebook's lead) to solve this problem through independent means. Think about it - a website like Rennlist could conceivably publish both testing criteria AND certified results using cars off the assembly-line. If the busines model generated enough revenue from subscriptions or advertising, they might even be able to employ automotive journalists. At minimum, they could assign crediblity scores to "members" and certify their results at approved testing centers around the globe. The goal would be to allow for credible feedback on performance and specs and bypass the manufacturers hype machine...

I personally saw the power of the internet with the Linux movement a decade back. Social media will definitely push that boundary. What is holding us back today is the credibility of the anonymous poster...

My $0.02 of ramblings...
-B

against a list of measures. This could be the next generation of Consumer Reports but based on real numbers
Interesting observations. I think we're seeing the credibility of the anonymous poster give the established media a pretty good run for their money.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by blake

My $0.02 of ramblings...
-B

+911! Great comment.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of my thoughts:

1. Why was the editorial not post on EVO?

2. Isn't the timing of the article a bit suspicious? It coincides with McLaren launch and the brits are very very patriotic bunch.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suprised that it did not appear on EVO...perhaps Harry Metcalfe averred?

Chris was not exactly blown away by the MP4-12C...

cf: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...2c_review.html

and i quote
" Anything else I should know?

Yes - that no one understands the emotional side to these machines like Ferrari does, and the MP4-12C, for all its brilliance, serves as a reminder. It’s not unemotional, it sounds great in ‘track’ mode, it steers beautifully and its engineering is intriguing – but it is a car you admire deeply rather than one you sell your family to own. As you can tell, I need more space to tell this story…"
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Harris Rant

Ferrari returns fire (pun.)

http://jalopnik.com/#!5783922/how-ferrari-responds

http://www.google.com/images?q=458+on+fire

Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

With a response like that, they'd be better off keeping their mouths shut... Great job CH!

Quick Reply: Epic Chris Harris Ferrari Rant