Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 RS arrive at LAX for next weeks delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Savy, so exiting and damn cool to get pictures posted straight coming of the ...plane!
Who's got the white one??

No. Going to full time track duty/product demonstrator/money pit. In the shop now for refitting- welded coolant fittings, Racetech halo seat/harnesses, brakes, 4-way Intrax coilovers, full cage, etc, ad nauseum
I can't wait to get more info, results, worth it/not worth it input and pics on this build from savy based on real heavy tracking
This will be the GT3RS+++
Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

WHAT?
Only two cars...
Thats not cost effective shipping?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the red one in the flesh here in Dubai (owner fantastic chap) at two track days and it's awesome looking - congrats Savyboy - stoked for ya!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bandit201
I believe the Red one goes to Walters Porsche in Riverside,CA. I work there. Not spoken for yet.
I had the understanding that all 2RS must have had signed buyer orders before submitting the build to Porsche back in Sept? Did your car not have a buyers order? If not, how did you keep your allocation? My dealer wanted three more 2RS's for ready to buy customers and could not get them?

Originally Posted by Serge944
Must be like Christmas all over again for these two.
Serge- it is! Come over and introduce yourself when you see me on track so I can meet you in person?

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Pete this is a very nice and unexpected surprise for you, congrats!!!
Fatih, I posted the flight info over on TS and was hoping another P-car nut would act as spy-on the ground

Originally Posted by DRPM
Very very nice.
I must admit the 997GT2RS is on my bucket list.......
I guess I'll have to slum it out with my new GT3RS for now
Yeah, some slumming... Only the best track car in the world...be smart and buy a 2RS with 500 miles in two years from a bubble wrapper.

Originally Posted by FFaust
Weird, I am actually excited for you

Would love to see pics of these coming off the shipping rigs.
Francois- After seeing these pics now I am excited. We need pics of them coming off the boat, any more spies ready to take action???

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
That's a dealer "delivery" charge worth paying!
NinetyOne- lol. That delivery was paid for by Porsche. I dug a bit and it looks like this "only" could cost them $5k-6k per car. So not cheap but not insane expensive either.

Originally Posted by 911rox
Savy, she'll be awesome... Congrats....
Thanks Chris, you're next right? Hate to think of what this would cost down there with all the taxes/duties/fees. Ugh...

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Savy, so exiting and damn cool to get pictures posted straight coming of the ...plane!
Who's got the white one??

I can't wait to get more info, results, worth it/not worth it input and pics on this build from savy based on real heavy tracking
This will be the GT3RS+++
It is pretty cool isn't it Peter? Pics coming off the boat are great but on an airfreight pallet is something you don't see every day. The white one is beautiful! Wonder why people are so reluctant to admit to buying one?

You know I added them up and I did 51 track days in 2010? That is freaking crazy! Yesterday I drove over to the TireRack warehouse here and picked up a set of tires for the new car as me thinks rears, in the special N2-spec construction unique to the 2RS, will soon be in short supply

Plan to have it on track March 7/8 at Laguna Seca. Got to get a roll bar and harnesses in it ASAP.

Originally Posted by MJones
WHAT?
Only two cars...
But it is cost effective customer service...lol! Use your connections Brian and sneak into the event. Hell, you never said if you bought one? Did you?

Originally Posted by 1198r
I have seen the red one in the flesh here in Dubai (owner fantastic chap) at two track days and it's awesome looking - congrats Savyboy - stoked for ya!
Thanks 1198r!

I am very thankful to have earned the opportunity to experience cars like this. Truly a car-obsessed kids dream come true.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
WHAT?
Only two cars...
The "back story" being that Porsche did not complete the build of the production run of the GT2 RS until literally the last few days. Cars built on schedule went on the usual rusty barge to ensure that traditional haze of oxidation on all new Porsches. Cars that literally missed the boat were then stacked up in the corner while they called the customers to say "hey, are you going to the launch event?" (neglecting to mention "your answer will determine whether we air freight your car to arrive on time) so now there's also cars arriving via regular sea freight, not showing up for another month. I guess Porsche was surreptitiously trying to avoid the cost (US$10K?) per car to air-freight if they could avoid it. I think if they had at least been "up front" with customers and said something like "here's the situation, your car is a month late, but we can air freight it, you decide" they could have presented a reasonable price adjustment and played a fair game for all concerned.

Hard to imagine how they let the logistics of their core business get so far out of whack, but there's always some delay in a stitch of leather or the die lot match of some fabric or wheels in black or whatever else.

From what I've seen so far, the handling of the GT2 RS has been a sequence of failures culminating in this latest egregious disregard for the customer.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:43 PM
hansw
Advanced

The logistics chain must have been impacted by the big snow storms that hit Germany a few weeks ago. Big traffic delays ensued, delaying delivery from the warehouses on wheels for just-in-time delivery, aka trucks. Those delays must have contributed at least in part to what appears to be a bigger delay than what could be explained by the bad weather alone.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:04 PM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The "back story" being that Porsche did not complete the build of the production run of the GT2 RS until literally the last few days. Cars built on schedule went on the usual rusty barge to ensure that traditional haze of oxidation on all new Porsches. Cars that literally missed the boat were then stacked up in the corner while they called the customers to say "hey, are you going to the launch event?" (neglecting to mention "your answer will determine whether we air freight your car to arrive on time) so now there's also cars arriving via regular sea freight, not showing up for another month. I guess Porsche was surreptitiously trying to avoid the cost (US$10K?) per car to air-freight if they could avoid it. I think if they had at least been "up front" with customers and said something like "here's the situation, your car is a month late, but we can air freight it, you decide" they could have presented a reasonable price adjustment and played a fair game for all concerned.

Hard to imagine how they let the logistics of their core business get so far out of whack, but there's always some delay in a stitch of leather or the die lot match of some fabric or wheels in black or whatever else.

From what I've seen so far, the handling of the GT2 RS has been a sequence of failures culminating in this latest egregious disregard for the customer.
Failure of customer service - I'm not so sure. They were WILLING to airfreight the car (at their expense), ensuring your car would be @ the launch event, that is customer service!

I can confirm everything you said, BUT I was told by my dealer that your answer would determine whether it goes on a plane or not. So there was open communication throughout...

I am actually quite pleased with what Porsche is doing for GT2 RS owners and hope it will continue with the GT3 (x) if that gets released.

PS: CONGRATS Savvyboy! Enjoy and drive safe with all that power!

Last edited by A430v; 01-29-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

It is pretty cool isn't it Peter? Pics coming off the boat are great but on an airfreight pallet is something you don't see every day.
VERY. Porsche just scored some points and I didn't even buy one..

You know I added them up and I did 51 track days in 2010? That is freaking crazy! Yesterday I drove over to the TireRack warehouse here and picked up a set of tires for the new car as me thinks rears, in the special N2-spec construction unique to the 2RS, will soon be in short supply
I can't even imagine what an extra almost 200HP will do to the tires. Good thing you have a little extra space to store them ;-)

Plan to have it on track March 7/8 at Laguna Seca. Got to get a roll bar and harnesses in it ASAP.
Be sure to get some pics. Roll bar and seat belts is all you'd need for the occasional track day. Maybe just get a harness bar for this one? It will make a fantastic weekend cruiser plus at 180Mph?+ going into braking zones will be a different world; The bar won't do much... Just be take it a little easier and careful, leave it parked when wet...

But it is cost effective customer service...lol!
Exactly!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Savyboy: Waiting for the 1st track drive report...congrats
stay of the concrete walls
Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

have a PPF crew on hand at delivery before driving at el toro. the runways is nothing but hacked up pieces of tarmac.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:36 PM
C4S993
Pro

Is the front bumper lower rubber rash piece stored in the back seat ?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by C4S993
Is the front bumper lower rubber rash piece stored in the back seat ?
Yup - left off on all the GT cars for clearance issues during transportation...
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

The power of Rennlist! See your car before your dealer does!
Congrats in advance Pete. That is a very cool car.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
No. Going to full time track duty/product demonstrator/money pit. In the shop now for refitting- welded coolant fittings, Racetech halo seat/harnesses, brakes, 4-way Intrax coilovers, full cage, etc, ad nauseum
Brakes???
Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Thanks Chris, you're next right? Hate to think of what this would cost down there with all the taxes/duties/fees. Ugh...
I wish!!! Only if I were to relocate to the US where pricing is reasonable!!! US$600k here plus options... ouch!

I'll be living the dream through you guys!

Quick Reply: GT2 RS arrive at LAX for next weeks delivery