Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 exhaust solenoid failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
fossen4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 exhaust solenoid failure

I have had three exhaust solenoid failures in the last 4 months. The first failure was after more than three years since I bought the car new. Looks like the solenoid is not the root cause. Any ideas anyone?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Mine have failed too

Unplug them, buy sharkwerks bypass.....be happy
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by fossen4
I have had three exhaust solenoid failures in the last 4 months. The first failure was after more than three years since I bought the car new. Looks like the solenoid is not the root cause. Any ideas anyone?
Failure is quite common but 3 of them in 4 months?
Did they check the vacuum lines?
Maybe there is a leak and solenoids are working overtime?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 212 Posts

I just replaced my port side exhaust solenoid, but its failure was apparently caused by smacking it when emerging from the exit tunnel at TX World Speedway. The parts guy at Sun Coast did tell me that they are selling quite a few of them.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fossen4
I know this might be a bit off base but any chance that you're pulling in our out of a steep driveway on a regular basis? Seen those things smack the curb/road a good few times and bend/brake the heck out of them.

It's not uncommon for them to fail.. but three times so far is a bit much
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

how would you know if you have a solonoid failure. What tell-tale signs, also what does it sound like.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
how would you know if you have a solonoid failure. What tell-tale signs, also what does it sound like.
Yes does failure leave exhaust in quiet or sport mode (if sport i'll leave it broken).
Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Doublej
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 73 Posts

You know the funny thing with these solenoids is that they are some how connected to the same harness or circuit that the engine coolant temp sensor is on. When I bought my car last August, it arrived on the truck, I drove it off and after not more than 2KM my temp sensor quit.

I had it replaced under warranty and it failed again a few days later. The dealer ended up calling for support (not sure where) and they tracked it down to one of the exhaust solenoids being on the same circuit. I think ultimately the solenoid failure was due to a vacuum leak...

I thought it sounded fairly loud when I first got it not really having been around these cars much before, and it had a sharky bypass so thought maybe thatsj ust how it sounded. So much quieter after the solenoids were replaced!

Never would have guessed an exhuast solenoid would keep blowing the temp sensor though.

If you plan to leave them 'broken' then beware that it can affect more than just the sound of the exhaust.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
Yes does failure leave exhaust in quiet or sport mode (if sport i'll leave it broken).
My port side was stuck open. The problem with leaving it broken is that only one side was open. This resulted in a rather raspy, not pleasant exhaust note. Luckily, they're easy to replace. I'll take a picture of the bad solenoid to show the damage that an otherwise inconsequential driveway scrape can cause.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 exhaust solenoid failure