Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Differences 997 GT3 vs 997 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

difference you ask? about $20 000.00 on todays market......

RS gives you the widebody with different rear wheel offset and wing. (kinda like turbo body)
RS has no sunroof
RS has aluminum doors
RS has light weight fly wheel.

in addition, the Euro RS has the following:

Euro RS has larger 90L fuel tank
Euro RS has plastic rear window
Euro RS has sport bucket seats
Euro RS has roll bar mount points under the carpet for half cage and full cage option.

Nothing too major in difference.

the 997.2RS gives you better gearing, more power from .2 extra litres, titanium muffler, center bolt wheels and newer wing style.

Is the RS worth the extra cash over non RS you may ask...... well, not really. It is more of an ego/bling thing.....

but we lust over them none the less
Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^what part of rs.2 is bling/ego? Mike
Old 01-18-2011, 04:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
for 997.1 and 997.2:

the "bling" factor would be the RS color combo/graphic packages. And wing.

the "ego" factor would be the rarity of these models when compared to non RS models and some people just have to have the one up on the next guy so to speak.
The RS is the "look at me" porsche.

i must admit though, i too am smitten by the fancy colors and the lure of the RS moniker...

i decided on RS for the sunroof delete to aid roll cage installation. The cost to remove sunroof from 997.1 non RS body and install LWFW with more wing was not far off the difference of RS price let alone resale issues. So it is worth the extra cash for the devil in the details. But performance is about the same at the end of the day.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 AM
k.a.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are actually fewer upgrades on the RS then I had expected. I thought there would be differences in the suspension for example. But obviously not.
Thanks a lot for all the help!

911SLOW, det verkar som priset för dekaler måste ha stigit drastiskt i och med produktionen för .2 RS

//Karl
Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,623 Likes on 753 Posts

Is the RS worth the extra cash over non RS you may ask...... well, not really. It is more of an ego/bling thing...
I reject your reality..

I wonder why anyone would buy a regular .2 GT3.
The price is easily justified with all the changes and free, must have standard options.
The difference is $20K, but you get:
-Seats $3K option
-DEM $1300.00 Option
-Some other small stuff, interior flavoring.
All together $5K or so on the GT3.

Then you get not available on GT3:
Shorter gear ratio
Ti exhaust (Ok they break)
LWFW
Big wing
These things can be put on a GT3, but cost 10-25K to get done, depending on quality, etc.

The RS has:
Idiotic decals, but they come off
Wide ***
Front fenders
Bigger front and rear tires
Big airscoops/airintake

It also SHOULD have the club sport package and a working LSD
Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I reject your reality..

I wonder why anyone would buy a regular .2 GT3.
The price is easily justified with all the changes and free, must have standard options.
The difference is $20K, but you get:
-Seats $3K option
-DEM $1300.00 Option
-Some other small stuff, interior flavoring.
All together $5K or so on the GT3.

Then you get not available on GT3:
Shorter gear ratio
Ti exhaust (Ok they break)
LWFW
Big wing
These things can be put on a GT3, but cost 10-25K to get done, depending on quality, etc.

The RS has:
Idiotic decals, but they come off
Wide ***
Front fenders
Bigger front and rear tires
Big airscoops/airintake

It also SHOULD have the club sport package and a working LSD

true, the price is worth it to some people. depends on what they use the car for.
The LSD however is something im still boggled about in a high profile car such as a porsche. Why cant Porsche give us a durable LSD??
Old 01-21-2011, 02:19 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
difference you ask? about $20 000.00 on todays market......

RS gives you the widebody with different rear wheel offset and wing. (kinda like turbo body)
RS has no sunroof
RS has aluminum doors
RS has light weight fly wheel.

in addition, the Euro RS has the following:

Euro RS has larger 90L fuel tank
Euro RS has plastic rear window
Euro RS has sport bucket seats
Euro RS has roll bar mount points under the carpet for half cage and full cage option.

Nothing too major in difference.
A couple corrections and additional information. The regular GT3 (997.2) has no sunroof and aluminum doors. Those aren't unique to the RS. Both have lightened flywheels (both the 997.2 GT3 and RS have lighter components than their 997.1 brethren). The regular GT3 still has a dual mass, while the RS gets a single mass. Euro Club Sport gets non-airbag Carbon buckets (Carrera GT seats) at no charge. The half cage also comes standard on the Club Sport. Sport buckets are the same seats as what is standard in the US GT3 RS and optional in the US GT3, i.e. they are world standard on the RS.

Does anyone actually care about the Titanium exhaust? A centerpipe (Fabspeed, GMG, etc.) is still lighter and sounds better. To be honest, I haven't seen an RS with even 1000 miles that still has it on the car. The real track junkies go all the way to race exhausts which remove all 3 of the factory mufflers and more weight.

Don't forget the delete options that are only the RS (you get less bang for the buck and Porsche makes more profit):

- cup holder delete (maybe saves 1 lb, exactly what do I do with my Starbucks Frappacino that I got to cool myself down on my way home from the track?)
- stereo delete (only save a couple of lbs, but remember when a RS America 2 speaker stereo was a $986 option?)
- a/c delete (only delete option that significantly reduces weight - 44 lbs of it, this was a $2805 option to add on an RS America)
- halogen headlights (only a couple lbs saving, but remember that bi-xenons were $1090 option on the 996 GT3)

Do the math and if you chose all then you helped improve Porsche's profits about $5k. Of course if you chose all the delete options then you need to ask yourself while you are sweating on your way home from the track with your melted drink spilled all over your lap why you didn't just buy a used cup car instead? At least you get to listen to the sweet sound of the engine which you could listen to just as well by just turning off the stereo...if you had one.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 01-21-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Does anyone actually care about the Titanium exhaust? A centerpipe (Fabspeed, GMG, etc.) is still lighter and sounds better. To be honest, I haven't seen an RS with even 1000 miles that still has it on the car.
They do sound great, but they break on the track, so then we buy a sharky, it sounds a bit better still.. I have a new shiney one in the box for warranty work.

Plus DEM are stad or RS.

You can't drive CUP cars to work.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

My regular GT3 997.2 is:

1) Beautiful (Speed Yellow)
2) Slightly quieter than 997.2 GT3 RS
3) Easier to putter around in a parking lot when necessary (i have stalled the GT3, and would probably stall an RS more frequently due to the lighter flywheel)

4) Very fast, and I would think that on any track or autox the cars would be very close in performance.......

In fact I would love to see a comparision by some magazine, the same day, same driver etc.

My car MSRP for 137,000 so I got DEM, and the wart, coulda done without the nav, but the radio is cool....bluetooth is nice, and regular seats are comfortable.

I may loose to some on the top guys in National Solo Competition, but my car looks pretty cool to the chicks...(damn just remembered I am married)....oh well....just remembered I didn't get laid that much when I was single, although that was a long long time ago.

YMMV
The following users liked this post:
Maverick11 (09-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM
RAPID
Racer

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
The bling factor is not the deciding factor: if you love cars, if you love porsches, the only deciding factor is "can you take the extra step" if you can, you will not rationalise the extra $, because you want the best car you can have for your money....I only test drove the GT3, I never drove the RS 'cause there wasn't one available, but since the difference in price was less than what I would spend in options and upgrades, there was no doubt for me that the RS was the one....
Old 01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

And if you really have impeccable taste you leave the decals off.
You can also explain away the clowny red stuff to everyone in earshot with it's historical significance and that the only choice was gold...

You can glue these pics on the inside of your windshield:
Attached Images    
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
And if you really have impeccable taste you leave the decals off.
You can also explain away the clowny red stuff to everyone in earshot with it's historical significance and that the only choice was gold...

You can glue these pics on the inside of your windshield:
That would look good on a 997.2
Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

that 996 leaves me in the woods
Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPID
The bling factor is not the deciding factor: if you love cars, if you love porsches, the only deciding factor is "can you take the extra step" if you can, you will not rationalise the extra $, because you want the best car you can have for your money....I only test drove the GT3, I never drove the RS 'cause there wasn't one available, but since the difference in price was less than what I would spend in options and upgrades, there was no doubt for me that the RS was the one....
yep.
btw, your car looks just like mine.
no decal
red wheels, mirrors and tips.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Brideyo
Racer

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
that 996 leaves me in the woods

How you mean? I'm thinking about selling my 996 RS and buying a 997.2 RS but with 986 RS prices truly on the up everyone Keeps telling me I'm nuts. Also the mere mention on Pistonheads if selling and I get bombarded with PM'd asking if I'd sell to them, puts me off a little. Thoughts ?

Quick Reply: Differences 997 GT3 vs 997 GT3 RS