Traqmate setup - please contribute

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Lot's of invaluable information here - many thanks to all who posted.

Can anyone go into detail with the brake light? I know you should tap into the 3rd light, on your deck lid or at the bottom of the rear window, but how do you identify the exact wire and location?
Hey Lar

I only did RPM tap. I can only look at one data at a time before my eyes cross. I think all you need to do is ID the wire that goes to brake light then connect it to traqmate
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Off topic - but germane to the DIY stuff:

I'm looking for a good s/w tool to annotate photos (*.jpg) for these DIY posts. I want something dirt simple like Acrobat Pro or PowerPoint. Photoshop is on my mac, but I have nearly zero experience with it. I found that it does have a tool box for annotation, but it behaves quite differently than Acrobat. Any suggestions? Is there a plug-in for Photoshop that allows the same tools as Acrobat?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

So are the instructions for the TPS sensor on the 996 applicable to the 997? We are doing my RPM connection in the next week or so. Might as well do brake and TPS while we're in there.

Also, where are you guys putting the unit itself?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I just got a Traqmate......can someone post mounting options
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Right now, I have velcro on the bottom of the traqmate. I stick it to the velcro tab that holds the passenger mat down. The one closest to the transmission. Works really well, but not a permanent fixture if that's what you're looking for. I also use a traqpaq with batteries to power it up.

You've really plunged into this head first! Enjoy
Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Right now, I have velcro on the bottom of the traqmate. I stick it to the velcro tab that holds the passenger mat down. The one closest to the transmission. Works really well, but not a permanent fixture if that's what you're looking for. I also use a traqpaq with batteries to power it up.

You've really plunged into this head first! Enjoy
One of the guys from the track was trying to sell his

He let me use it today.....I did not give it back

Are you doing chin next weekend?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

So are the instructions for the TPS sensor on the 996 applicable to the 997? We are doing my RPM connection in the next week or so. Might as well do brake and TPS while we're in there.
Yes, absolutely - assuming you are going to hard-wire everything nice and factory-like. You only want to have to tear up all the center console and carpeting once!

Also, where are you guys putting the unit itself?
I'm trying to sort this out at present myself.

Originally Posted by Izzone
I just got a Traqmate......can someone post mounting options
IIRC, TraqMate advises you to place the unit as low and as centered as possible in the car. I've seen at least one posting on here where someone placed it under the lid of the center console. I've got the factory iPod connection in the center console (and don't want to give it up just yet!), so I'm thinking of mounting to the floor under the passenger seat, as most of the postings show. However, I want it "permanent", I can't imagine the sensors give you true G forces and such if the module can move a wee bit (velcro at best, just laying there at worst). I'm thinking to fab a piece of aluminum to span between the rear seat mounting bolts, so it's rock solid.

The display unit is a whole other can of worms!

Last edited by 24Chromium; 01-16-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Not that it is necessary, but the quality of this set saved me a lot of headaches:

https://store.gormanms.com/Gorman-Mo...U-Tap-Kit.html
Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Does the Gorman kit include some detailed instructions or something? How did that save you any headaches? It appears to be 4 wires in a sheath (sleeve) with crimp taps on the end. I bought all those parts individually at Fry's Electronics for way less money. The only "headache" was stuffing the wires into the expandable sleeve. It took me about 5 minutes to fish 16' of sleeve & wires. LOL

Here is (some) of what I purchased, but the specific items I just described:
Attached Images    

Last edited by 24Chromium; 01-17-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lar ... you need to cut your finger nail lol

Guys, here is what I used for mounting the display unit on the windshield. It can be easily removed. Here is the website: http://www.panavise.com/index.html?p...qskudatarq=133

This is how it looks in my RS

The four holes on the mounting plate fits perfectly to the back of traqmate display unit. All you need to do is buy 4 small screws from Homedepot.

I use the floor behind passenger seat to secure the traqmate "brain" assembly. When I have carpet I just made two small cut and threaded a zip tie and secure every thing down. Now days I just Velcro it to the floor pan

Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

I am thinking to put my modules in the same spot as Mikymu shows. Except, of course, I have all of my interior in my car - and a passenger seat! LOL

I am trying to decide between bridging the rear seat mounting bolts (kind of a waste of material just to mount those two small modules) or maybe using just the floor. You can drill a couple of holes and use sheet metal screws at the locations shown in the red circles. There is nothing under that "hat section" of the stamped metal chassis. The only difficulty is that the top of the hat section is not flat. It has some curvature or shape, bowing up in the mid point between the red dots.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 24Chromium; 01-17-2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikymu
Guys, here is what I used for mounting the display unit on the windshield. It can be easily removed. Here is the website: http://www.panavise.com/index.html?p...qskudatarq=133

This is how it looks in my RS

I may do this until I decide on a permanent location for the display unit. Since Gisele is mainly a track car these days, I want the display unit to be permanent and for the cabling to be hidden and factory-like.

I'm trying to emulate what TRAK CAR did with his display unit, but apparently it's a state secret as to the details. LOL
Old 01-17-2011, 04:08 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am thinking to put my modules in the same spot as Mikymu shows. Except, of course, I have all of my interior in my car - and a passenger seat! LOL

I am trying to decide between bridging the rear seat mounting bolts (kind of a waste of material just to mount those two small modules) or maybe using just the floor. You can drill a couple of holes and use sheet metal screws at the locations shown in the red circles. There is nothing under that "hat section" of the stamped metal chassis. The only difficulty is that the top of the hat section is not flat. It has some curvature or shape, bowing up in the mid point between the red dots.
Yeah, you need flat surface to secure the traqmate brain. The spot you indicate is not flat and will not work well. My floor location is the only flat spot I found. You can always some how secure coupe Velcro on the carpet ...
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may do this until I decide on a permanent location for the display unit. Since Gisele is mainly a track car these days, I want the display unit to be permanent and for the cabling to be hidden and factory-like.

I'm trying to emulate what TRAK CAR did with his display unit, but apparently it's a state secret as to the details. LOL
lol

I tried suction the thing on my Nav screen ... and worked but not recommended. You don't want to look down at the Nav screen while passing my Cup car at T1 of Thunderhill. I even suction the damn thing to chrono. Suction cup was too big lol
Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Mikymu, do I need to remove the small section of the center console (highlighted with the red dot) before I can take out the main console? How do you remove the small section?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Traqmate setup - please contribute