Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Exhaust for 997.1 GT3RS- What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I heard Trakcars when it failed.....it was rattling like crazy (I believe he has switched to Sharky)
Yup, the new Ti is staying in the box, added Sharky and kept OEM tips.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Just ordered a Sharkwerks centre bypass pipe for my 2011 GT3, hoping to have it installed prior to going to Streets Of Willow Springs in Feb. I'll most likely pass on Laguna Seca due to the exhaust mod, I don't think it will pass sounds check with Sharky installed.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Polarporsche
Just ordered a Sharkwerks centre bypass pipe for my 2011 GT3, hoping to have it installed prior to going to Streets Of Willow Springs in Feb. I'll most likely pass on Laguna Seca due to the exhaust mod, I don't think it will pass sounds check with Sharky installed.
Actually there is a way to make it work at Laguna, and its not very difficult. There is a how-to thread on it somewhere on this forum. It would be crazy to pass up Laguna Seca!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Actually there is a way to make it work at Laguna, and its not very difficult. There is a how-to thread on it somewhere on this forum. It would be crazy to pass up Laguna Seca!
Yes, I believe it's for the stock set-up. I did solenoid bypass last year when I was at LS, I didn't think it would work with the Sharkwerks bypass installed, perhaps I'm incorrect in my assumption.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ akropovic passed sound at LS. so i think you can too.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:54 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I believe it's for the stock set-up. I did solenoid bypass last year when I was at LS, I didn't think it would work with the Sharkwerks bypass installed, perhaps I'm incorrect in my assumption.
There's an app for that... But you're right, not sure about the bypass.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Its not difficult to pass sound at Laguna Seca. I was surprised myself - the Sharkwerks bypass didn't make much difference when you use the solenoid bypass.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...nd-buster.html
Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

But if you want to have a margin of error to be absolutely sure you are ok at Laguna, you may want to put on some diverter pipes to channel any noise away from the sound booth.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/p...gt3tipkit.html

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

But if you want to have a margin of error to be absolutely sure you are ok at Laguna, you may want to put on some diverter pipes to channel any noise away from the sound booth.

Thanks for the info, I will most likely pick up something like this or the Sharkwerks kit for LS and bring along my OEM exhaust as a back up.

I had a great time at LS last August and would like to return there for some PCA DE events or Speed Ventures event in the future.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That tip "turn down" doesn't pass sound at Laguna. I've tried all kinds. The only thing that works is the "turnip" style sold by Sharkwerks.

While the 997.x GT3 can pass sound by switching the muffler flaps, it also kills power and defeats (pun) the point of wanting to drive through T5 and up the hill wide open. If you put on the turnips, you can leave the exhaust wide open and still pass sound so long as you drive the "sound" line (center to left of center) up the hill.
Attached Images   
Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Carrera GT - maybe there is a misunderstanding. I have the Sharkwerks bypass installed, use the solenoid bypass, and also use the Awe Tuning muffler tips. Haven't had any issues with sound at Laguna the last six days running there.

I didn't buy the Awe Tuning muffler tips recently, but rather a few years ago when we were in disbelief that an unmodified 997 GT3 Porsche could not meet sound at Laguna. By themselves, they do not provide a solution to the sound limitation. I use them now simply because I have them and its easy to take them on and off. I install them so that they are angled to the left and down.

I would caution anybody against just "lifting" or using a particular line through turn 5 to beat the sound cops at Laguna. What happens if you do that is you create a situation where cars that are going relatively slow (because they lifted) are merging with cars that are WOT up the hill from turn 5 into turn 6, which ruins everyone's lap. Its not in anyone's best interest to have that situation occur lap after lap.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
There is GMG too

I have sharkwerks, love the sound. No performance gains I can tell (from teh butt dyno)

With the valves unplugged it makes the car sound mean
Is it louder than with the sport button turned on? I'm not sure I understand what you did.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:36 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I have a center muffler bypass on my car. The car sounds like it should have sounded from the factory.

I've heard both the RSS and the Sharkwerks. Not that anyone should be surprised but they pretty much sound exactly the same.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Is it louder than with the sport button turned on? I'm not sure I understand what you did.
With the valves unplugged, it is louder even at idle. So, no having to get into the higher RPM's to hear the sweet noise.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I'm not totally clear on this.

If the sport button is off and I go over 4k, it gets really loud. Assuming the valve opens automatically regardless of the sport button selection.

With the sport button on, even at idle, it is louder than with the sport button off. It was my understanding that the sport button opens the valve, increasing the volume regardless of rpm.

So what does unplugging the valves do exactly?

Quick Reply: Exhaust for 997.1 GT3RS- What to do?