Exhaust for 997.1 GT3RS- What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Carrera GT - maybe there is a misunderstanding. I have the Sharkwerks bypass installed, use the solenoid bypass, and also use the Awe Tuning muffler tips. Haven't had any issues with sound at Laguna the last six days running there.

I didn't buy the Awe Tuning muffler tips recently, but rather a few years ago when we were in disbelief that an unmodified 997 GT3 Porsche could not meet sound at Laguna. By themselves, they do not provide a solution to the sound limitation. I use them now simply because I have them and its easy to take them on and off. I install them so that they are angled to the left and down.

I would caution anybody against just "lifting" or using a particular line through turn 5 to beat the sound cops at Laguna. What happens if you do that is you create a situation where cars that are going relatively slow (because they lifted) are merging with cars that are WOT up the hill from turn 5 into turn 6, which ruins everyone's lap. Its not in anyone's best interest to have that situation occur lap after lap.
The mod that's getting your car past sound at Laguna is the solenoid. The third muff delete doesn't seem to create much sound pressure and the turn downs just cause reflection off the track surface. Rotated to the "45 degree up and away" could be enough, but I've tried so many angles and lengths and designs and walls and baffles and cones and filters and resonators and and and ... one trick was to realize the two pipes have to be a tuned length ...

I had the same dismay to find the 997.1 GT3 was in the sound penalty box and struggling to pace the 996 GT3 which could run wide open (perhaps not under cloud reflections) ... Laguna sound is a travesty of a sham wrapped in a mockery of ...
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
...e 996 GT3 which could run wide open (perhaps not under cloud reflections) ... Laguna sound is a travesty of a sham wrapped in a mockery of ...
OEM 996gt3 exhaust can run wot anytime any weather condition and it will pass even 90db at LS. i did it since 2004, never once got flagged.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm not totally clear on this.

If the sport button is off and I go over 4k, it gets really loud. Assuming the valve opens automatically regardless of the sport button selection.

With the sport button on, even at idle, it is louder than with the sport button off. It was my understanding that the sport button opens the valve, increasing the volume regardless of rpm.

So what does unplugging the valves do exactly?
Unplugging leaves you on loud mode all the time. Equivalent to sport mode exhaust sound. Note you don't get the throttle remapping until you hit the sport button.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Unplugging leaves you on loud mode all the time. Equivalent to sport mode exhaust sound. Note you don't get the throttle remapping until you hit the sport button.
Thanks for the clarification. I read somewhere else that sport modes also affects pasm. That's not true is it?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:19 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Thanks for the clarification. I read somewhere else that sport modes also affects pasm. That's not true is it?
Yes it tightens the shocks somewhat and loosens traction control. Not as much as pressing the hard shocks button and disabling TC altogether, obviously.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Beware the sharkwerks tips though. As much as I love Alex's work with their bypass and engine wizardry, my experience with two different sets have been horrible (one stainless, another Ti blue-flamed). The stainless tips rusted completely within 3 months (not just spots but serious, junkyard-heap rust) and the spendier Ti ones went from the original Ti-blue to a discolored, golden-silvery tone again within 3 months.

That won't stop me from buying their many other fabulous products though. Tips just aren't their forte, I've learned.
This really surprises me as I had one of the original SW steel black set of tips on my car installed in July of 2008. I live on the coast with lots of fog and wet weather, never had a problem. I just recently, Nov of 2010, swapped them out for a set of SS CC'd SW silver tips. Never had any problem with rust. Only changed them because I liked the siver!!
Attached Images   
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Has anyone tried these for sound restrictive tracks.....supposed to be 3-5 dB

http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/...,article,5033/
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Beware the sharkwerks tips though. As much as I love Alex's work with their bypass and engine wizardry, my experience with two different sets have been horrible (one stainless, another Ti blue-flamed). The stainless tips rusted completely within 3 months (not just spots but serious, junkyard-heap rust) and the spendier Ti ones went from the original Ti-blue to a discolored, golden-silvery tone again within 3 months.

That won't stop me from buying their many other fabulous products though. Tips just aren't their forte, I've learned.
Thanks for the kind words CRex and glad you like the exhaust On the tips as Dan had mentioned I think unfortunately for the black ones you got one of the sets back from when we were having them made from _mild_ by RSS which hasn't been the case for some time. I'll send you some proper SS ones in black and those never have any issues. On the Ti tips it's just a nature of how titanium reacts with heat. They will/do always change color with heat... even the factory ones will. Any exhaust from Ti on other cars will do the same. I know we mention it on the site/product page but I'll make it clearer for sure
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend Mooty forgot I had my solenoid wired to hold flaps closed all the time in order to pass sound with Akrapovic Evolution full system. Otherwise 107 sweet, meatball worthy, db's.

Having played the moronic LS exhaust game and dodged (and sometimes hit) the damn rigged up exhaust pieces as they fell off on the track, I am swearing off sound limit days. Running unlimited sound there, at what ever price for the respective event is worth it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have experience with the GMG titanium bypass as the megaphone design looks interesting? I am curious on the pricing as well. Thanks for all the input!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
nct510
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911S4: "Anyone have experience with the GMG titanium bypass as the megaphone design looks interesting? I am curious on the pricing as well. Thanks for all the input!"

+1 again on the Sharkwerks bypass. No problems with the tips & use the simple solenoid bypass (I think I'll side with 'lawjdc" and also get the AWE downturn tips just in case. Sure hate to be w/o an appropriate band-aid.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 911S4
Anyone have experience with the GMG titanium bypass as the megaphone design looks interesting? I am curious on the pricing as well. Thanks for all the input!
I had the GMG bypass on my .1 997 and loved it ... Although it is a little louder than the SS...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Thanks for the kind words CRex and glad you like the exhaust On the tips as Dan had mentioned I think unfortunately for the black ones you got one of the sets back from when we were having them made from _mild_ by RSS which hasn't been the case for some time. I'll send you some proper SS ones in black and those never have any issues. On the Ti tips it's just a nature of how titanium reacts with heat. They will/do always change color with heat... even the factory ones will. Any exhaust from Ti on other cars will do the same. I know we mention it on the site/product page but I'll make it clearer for sure
I have your Ti tips; knew they would change color with heat before I purchased ... And I love them!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by savyboy
My friend Mooty forgot I had my solenoid wired to hold flaps closed all the time in order to pass sound with Akrapovic Evolution full system. Otherwise 107 sweet, meatball worthy, db's.

Having played the moronic LS exhaust game and dodged (and sometimes hit) the damn rigged up exhaust pieces as they fell off on the track, I am swearing off sound limit days. Running unlimited sound there, at what ever price for the respective event is worth it.
the you only have 4 days a year at LS
gtgp
and hod.

i run stock exhaust at LS with 6
i have a mile 6 exhaust at 95 or so db
i have a wild one at 110db. they kicked me out from sears point.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i love sharky bypass. i just haven't had time to stop by the shop to get alex and crew to put it one.
hum.... alex, maybe you come over for brunch and we make dan work in the garage ;-)

Quick Reply: Exhaust for 997.1 GT3RS- What to do?