Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Can the head unit be swapped in a .1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Can the head unit be swapped in a .1 GT3?

While I know anything is possible, can the factory head unit be swapped with an aftermarket one rather simply?

My 996 had the bose system with the fiber optic wiring. I had to replace everything in the car for it to work properly.

I'm not really concerned about audio quality in the GT3, but the NAV totally blows and I'd like to be able to use my ipod (love me some audio books ).

Is it as simple as just finding a double DIN head unit and taking it to the local stereo shop for a swap?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

I had my CDR-24 changed to a pioneer large touchscreen player for exactly the same reasons. (Yeah, I know there'll be dirty looks from u purists... but I'm thick-skinned... and thick-skulled too)

You will need a double-din mounting rack plus faceplate. They're mad expensive for what they are ($200+) if OEM but don't settle for less unless you want a cheap aftermarket look on your console. Search "Porsche DIN" on ebay and you'll have no shortage of choice like this one (no affiliation whatsoever)

Once you have the above any audio shop can do the rest. Just make sure they tape/cushion the unit and the rack properly or the whole thing will squeak/creak/rattle like Noah's Ark... ask me how I know...
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link. I have a friend in the industry. Hadn't called him yet. Wanted to see if this was even possible before I start calling in a favor

So there weren't any funky wiring problems or such???

I'm not sure if I have the sound package plus or not. The stereo sounds like crap either way and the push button entry on the NAV is maddening....
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

The audio is very straightforward--two speakerwires (my RS had barebones audio), one antenna, one power. The NAV part may be more complicated as you will have the GPS antenna going in plus other wires that tie into the on-board computer. I'll leave that part to those that have done it b4 but again the whole setup is very modular.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:00 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I thought all these cars had the MOST fiber optic wiring. Is this not an issue?

Although it did just dawn on me that I will lose my trip computer and sport chrono plus features.

Maybe I should look at the Denison Icelink. Ugggg. Porsche and their crap electronics.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 AM
scott cairncross
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on how your car is set up from the factory... If you have a fiber optic / most amplifier nav-tv makes a most to rca interface module specific for the porsche most ring (plug and play) We do the install at least once a week,,, Keep in mind if you want perfection the nstall kits never match factory color of the center console (count on having it color matched by an interior trim repair
person. Here is a pic of a pioneer we just did.

Scott
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2010, 04:49 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

another option is keep the stereo, upgrade the speakers, add the dension, and if you have an iphone, I really like using tomtom gps software on it along with the secondary gps antenna. I use a proclip mount that works well with the car and puts the phone in a good position to see it.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Scott

How can I tell which factory stereo system I have in my car? It's an 07. Did they come with different stereo options or are they all the same?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 AM
scott cairncross
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 options...If your amp looks like this (silver in color) then it is not fiber optic.... Also the fiber optic amps have 2 orange fiber optic cables going into the amp... The amp will be black with heat sink fins on it... Ck it out and if you send me a pic of it and I will tell you whats up. Happy New Year!
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic. What's my diagnosis doc?

Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Andrew - did you ever find out what you needed to get the aftermarket head unit to work with your setup? it looks like you have the fiber optic MOST system. Did you have to buy some sort of converter? (if you remember!)

Did you have to purchase one of these?

Last edited by andrewgt3; 06-23-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:24 AM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I helped a friend with his 987 head unit which is the same for the 997/gt3

My goal was to add functionality while retaining the simplicity of a stock head unit and it had to be reversible.

I decided to go with the Sony AX100 Double din head unit because it had CarPlay and bluetooth. The buttons were very positive like a factory radio system.

The key aspects of a clean integration are:
- plug n play wiring harness
- color matched bezel

This is the double din kit I used:
Amazon Amazon

If you have bose and want to retain it:
https://cai-store.com/collections/99...acement-module

here's my thread on the install:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...xav-ax100.html

Quick Reply: Can the head unit be swapped in a .1 GT3?