Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
When a Carrera Sport Classic and 911 Speedster already listed over $200K at base-price, I wouldn't be surprised the next GT3/GT3RS will be priced in the much higher market (Isn't that what VW Group planning the future 991 lineup to be? To be more up-market and technologically sophisticated?)

A high $200K-plus next generation 991 GT3/GT3RS will not be too much of a fancy, I am afraid.

Regards,
Keep in mind that they flog these off to people with truck loads of cash and no passion at ridiculous prices on the basis of exclusivity, nothing more... Whilst the GT range are supposedly lower in margin, the following is so strong that they probably move 5000 units combined worldwide with each model release. Try telling the world that only 500 people worldwide can have a GT3 or RS... There will be dealerships burning to the ground everywhere and Porsche will kill its motorsport following...

I don't doubt that we will continue to pay more for less, after all that is the Porsche way...

Last edited by 911rox; 12-30-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
What are the latest updates on the infamous HPFP issue and the carbon built-up behind the intake valves, on the DFI engines? I thought some owners in the 997 forum were also mentioning something about PDK oil leak?...
I don't know what the latest is since do you? DFI and carbon build up on the valves from what I understand happens in DFI engines but I know with some GM cars there is a spray in the intake that takes care of that. I missed the PDK oil leak issue...is there an issue?
There were 3 GT3RS 2010's at my local dealer with engine issues. 1 was getting a whole new engine. Porsch would not say what the issues were.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:10 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I don't know what the latest is since do you? DFI and carbon build up on the valves from what I understand happens in DFI engines but I know with some GM cars there is a spray in the intake that takes care of that.
This is not a Porsche engine but a BMW N54 (DFI, Twin Turbo) after about 40k miles. I used to have one of these in my daily driver. Holy batman look at those carbon deposits on the intake valves!!

Admittedly this is an extreme example of carbon fouling, and DFI in itself is a great technology particularly for boosted applications. But for me I'll wait a product cycle or two for kinks like these to be ironed out in the 9A1...
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2010, 08:33 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Is it more than a coincidence that Ruf has just opened a factory authorized service center near the Porsche factory?

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
They could just hop over to Ruf to see how it's done.. I'll take a V8 911 that weighs less.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610

"PRESS RELEASE:
RUF is proud to present the brand new RGT-8 at the Geneva Motor Show, 04th -14th March 2010. This spectacular prototype vehicle is powered by a completely new RUF designed V8 engine with a 180° crankshaft “Flatcrank”. Four valves arranged spherically together with multipoint fuel injection ensure optimal mixture conditions while the dry-sump system supplies the necessary lubrication. The lightweight engine has a very compact design, has a capacity of 4.5 litres arranged as a V8 and delivers 404kW (550bhp) @ 8500rpm and complements with a maximum torque of 500Nm @ 5400rpm.

At all stages of the design process, compactness and weight saving were of priority, the result of which is a total engine weight of less than 200kg. A 6 speed gearbox with shortened gear shift movement transfers the power to the rear axle. To ensure the best adhesion characteristics, the RGT-8 is supplied with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires running on 19 inch RUF forged alloy wheels utilising a single central retaining nut.

The powertrain is rounded off with sturdy ceramic brakes as standard for optimal braking. The current Porsche 911 forms the basis for the RGT-8 chassis which is then further optimised with bodywork components from RUF. As always, an integrated roll-cage is supplied delivering increased chassis stability and passive safety. In addition, we are pleased to offer a Frère package which enhances the standard vehicle with special front fenders, nose and dashboard components. The styling was inspired by the 550 Coupé with which Paul Frère, the Belgian race driver, won the best of class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1953.

The RUF RGT-8 production start is planned for 2011.
Source - RUF"
Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The old engine just reached the end. We all watched last year as BMW, Vette, and Ferrari blew the 997 RSR away in most straights...If it weren't for Franz Blam and genius race strategy the Lizards would not have had a chance with that engine. That is it pure and simple. It is time to get more competitive. Why is this bad? Was it bad when the 356 was shelved and we got the 911?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I don't know what the latest is since do you? DFI and carbon build up on the valves from what I understand happens in DFI engines but I know with some GM cars there is a spray in the intake that takes care of that. I missed the PDK oil leak issue...is there an issue?
There were 3 GT3RS 2010's at my local dealer with engine issues. 1 was getting a whole new engine. Porsch would not say what the issues were.

I know of one .2RS owner who traded his in after the dealer couldn't get it to stop mosquito fogging EVERY time he cranked the engine.

Peter
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
The old engine just reached the end. We all watched last year as BMW, Vette, and Ferrari blew the 997 RSR away in most straights...If it weren't for Franz Blam and genius race strategy the Lizards would not have had a chance with that engine. That is it pure and simple. It is time to get more competitive. Why is this bad? Was it bad when the 356 was shelved and we got the 911?
No use in speculating for the moment until we see anouncements but if the next RSR is 9A1 based, how will it be any more competitive? Yet another flat six with the same displacement isn't going to produce Ferrari or vette power... If it gets some sort of v8 which is far fetched at best for the moment, then thats a different story....
Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I know of one .2RS owner who traded his in after the dealer couldn't get it to stop mosquito fogging EVERY time he cranked the engine.
I'd guess mine does that about 5-7 out of 10 times.
It did it with 50 miles on the clock and now still with 5500 miles.

Just add oil once in a while, but I can imagine it embarrasses some people like the crazy loud brakes do. I'm all for a 911 with V8. As long as it weighs less. Like the 996 the 991 should probably be skipped and they'll have the car right by the time the 992 comes along. After that, who knows maybe all CF tubs?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Just add oil once in a while, but I can imagine it embarrasses some people like the crazy loud brakes do. I'm all for a 911 with V8. As long as it weighs less. Like the 996 the 991 should probably be skipped and they'll have the car right by the time the 992 comes along. After that, who knows maybe all CF tubs?

BAN HIM!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:36 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. we need a v8 911. the engine has to be special as all getout, though
i think alois is up to something....

Last edited by aussie jimmy; 12-31-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
We already debated the "top speed on the main straight versus position on the grid and on the podium." There's little correlation.

Your 356->911 reference is exactly the point -- rear positioned, flat crank, horizontally opposed.

If Mr Porsche wants to go to a larger displacement and eight pots, so long as the retaining the flat crank and hz design, fine by me, I'll try it on for size so long as they keep the handling and don't add weight behind the rear axle.

If Porsche discontinued the flat six in the 911, well, this would prove they learned nothing from the 928 debacle and will have to relive "pride before the fall."

Of all the (many) rumors filling the void of silence from Porsche on plans for the next model(s) the thing I find most appealing is the thought of a very light 911 with a hot rod four cylinder engine. The 15 years of Porsche since the 993 invention has no hook for me to hang my hat on this "light, small, potent" ideal. And I can't imagine myself 15 years ago thinking of the 993 as light or small. But if you go from a long stint in a 997 straight into similar amount of seat time in a 993, the 997 feels "off the rack" (but a good tailor) and the 993 feels "tailored" in the way a custom tailored suit can hide the flubbery and make you look and feel better than the underlying truth.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yeah i know. i absolutely love the mezger 6 to bits, but it is a rubber band stretched to buggery. we need to evolve to the next level. whatever porsche do, this new motor better be legendary or else many folks won't be happy. can it be benchmarked?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Just add oil once in a while, but I can imagine it embarrasses some people like the crazy loud brakes do.
Just shows that people have no clue about cars. Just because it is expensive doesn't mean it should behave like a Bentley or an S-class Benz. It's a surly racehorse. Digging dirt with it's hooves, steam coming out of it's nostrils, throwing the hesitant rider off it's back. This is why it's so cool. There is at least some pretense that not just anyone who can cut the check can use it right.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:02 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter how we look at it; the legendary 'split crankcase' Metzger engine had won so many victories with the bloodline traced back to the 962, and few engines in the modern motorsports history could match its significance. If it ever goes out of production, it would just go into collectible status.

I myself am just glad to own one of the 'possibly last' Metzger engine 911's in my garage. This engine has so much soul that it stirs my heart everytime I start it up.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired