Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:25 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 167 Posts

I won't be surprised if the next generation GT3 has an RS version with hybrid power. Porsche was looking pretty old school until the 918 and R Hybrid gave them some credibility as an innovator. I own a 996 GT3 but time marches on or we'd be driving beetles. Like it or not internal combustion engines need to be replaced with a sustainable energy source and I am glad that Toyota, Ford and Nissan will not be my only choice. Porsche needs to evolve to survive and will do so whether we like it or not.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:52 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Porsche still has a secret weapon in the parts bin -- the LeMans winning 3.4L V8 used in the RS spyder.

I think Porsche just recently showcased this engine in the 918 Spyder (which is heading for production, Ja?), and coupled it with a 7-speed PDK transmission. It is also piggybacking with a Hybrid system.

With the longer and wider 991 chassis, I wouldn't be surprised that with some jiggling the engineers can fit all these in the next 991-based GT3. This engine will give plenty of potential to compete with Ferrari's, Corvette's, etc. in LeMans for many years to come.

Sounds crazy, but technically not that crazy. Now, only if someone can lock those corporate bean counters in the backroom and throw away the keys...

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 12-31-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Chris Harris drives the Porsche RS Spyder...

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I think Porsche still has a secret weapon in the parts bin -- the LeMans winning 3.4L V8 used in the RS spyder.

I think Porsche just recently showcased this engine in the 918 Spyder (which is heading for production, Ja?), and coupled it with a 7-speed PDK transmission. It is also piggybacking with a Hybrid system.

With the longer and wider 991 chassis, I wouldn't be surprised that with some jiggling the engineers can fit all these in the next 991-based GT3. This engine will give plenty of potential to compete with Ferrari's, Corvette's, etc. in LeMans for many years to come.

Sounds crazy, but technically not that crazy. Now, only if someone can lock those corporate bean counters in the backroom and throw away the keys...

Regards,

Chris Harris drives the Porsche RS Spyder...

Direct Fuel Injection Lowers Fuel Consumption and Increases Performance in 3.4-Liter V8 for 2008 Porsche RS Spyder in the American Le Mans Series

ATLANTA - 31 July 2008 - Following in the footsteps of the street Porsche Cayenne and 911, the sports prototype Porsche RS Spyder now profits from direct fuel injection technology (DFI). The new engine, with which Porsche underlines its role as technology leader in energy efficiency, celebrated its race premiere with an LMP2 victory in the American Le Mans Series as Timo Bernhard (Germany) and Romain Dumas (France) took the class win at Mid-Ohio earlier this month.

The power output of the successful 2006 and 2007 championship winning Porsche, which has so far claimed victory from four of the six races run in this year's ALMS, increased with the new engine from 476 to 503 hp (370 kW) at 10,000 revs per minute. Maximum torque rose from 370 Nm (273 ft. lbs.) at 7,500 revs to 385 Nm (284 ft. lbs.) at 8,500 revs. The most compelling feature of the DFI version of the successful Porsche 3.4-litre V8 motor is its improved energy efficiency - an important element in endurance racing. Despite an improved power output, fuel consumption was significantly reduced.

After reaching a very high level with the previous engine we raced, we had to put considerable efforts into the development of the direct fuel injection unit in order to significantly improve performance and efficiency," says Thomas Laudenbach, Head of Motorsport Development/Power Train. "In order to achieve revs of up to 11,000 with DFI technology it meant stepping into totally new territory." During the design and development of the engine, synergies of product areas and motorsport departments were utilized to a large extent. "Right from the beginning there was a lively exchange," reminisces Thomas Laudenbach. "We had already recognized the advantages of this technology at the start of the RS Spyder project and adapted them to the very special requirements of motorsport, always in close consultation with our colleagues in the standard development department. The methods and insights we obtained from our co-operation are of considerable value for future development projects involving DFI technology."

Normally an increased engine output is in conjunction with a rise in fuel consumption. This is not the case here. "Thanks to the substantial increase of energy efficiency there's no rise in the absolute fuel consumption despite the significant hike in performance. On the contrary - we're even a bit lower," said Laudenbach. Another advantage of the new DFI engine: At partial load - for example during the many caution phases of long distance races - the engine can be run extremely lean. This further reduces fuel consumption and was not possible with the intake manifold fuel injection which was raced previously.

Moreover, new options open up for the controlling of highly dynamic processes like, for example, gear shifting at full throttle. Such options were not fully utilized before. After the successful premiere in Mid-Ohio, the new DFI motor will power the two Penske Racing RS Spyder cars for the next round next week at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. With this, Porsche intends to strengthen its top position in the American Le Mans Series. "Competition in the LMP2 class is at an extremely high level and it gets tougher race by race," says Hartmut Kristen, Head of Motorsport at Porsche. "Therefore now is exactly the right time to race the new engine."

Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe a a 3.4 v8 spyder engine with 2 cyl less and .200 increase in displacment
Old 12-30-2010, 10:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

They could just hop over to Ruf to see how it's done.. I'll take a V8 911 that weighs less.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610

"PRESS RELEASE:
RUF is proud to present the brand new RGT-8 at the Geneva Motor Show, 04th -14th March 2010. This spectacular prototype vehicle is powered by a completely new RUF designed V8 engine with a 180° crankshaft “Flatcrank”. Four valves arranged spherically together with multipoint fuel injection ensure optimal mixture conditions while the dry-sump system supplies the necessary lubrication. The lightweight engine has a very compact design, has a capacity of 4.5 litres arranged as a V8 and delivers 404kW (550bhp) @ 8500rpm and complements with a maximum torque of 500Nm @ 5400rpm.

At all stages of the design process, compactness and weight saving were of priority, the result of which is a total engine weight of less than 200kg. A 6 speed gearbox with shortened gear shift movement transfers the power to the rear axle. To ensure the best adhesion characteristics, the RGT-8 is supplied with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires running on 19 inch RUF forged alloy wheels utilising a single central retaining nut.

The powertrain is rounded off with sturdy ceramic brakes as standard for optimal braking. The current Porsche 911 forms the basis for the RGT-8 chassis which is then further optimised with bodywork components from RUF. As always, an integrated roll-cage is supplied delivering increased chassis stability and passive safety. In addition, we are pleased to offer a Frère package which enhances the standard vehicle with special front fenders, nose and dashboard components. The styling was inspired by the 550 Coupé with which Paul Frère, the Belgian race driver, won the best of class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1953.

The RUF RGT-8 production start is planned for 2011.
Source - RUF"
Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

That video with Harris in the RS Spyder is cool. 500HP in a 750KG car. Must be insane..
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Certainly one cannot deny the amazing success of the GT1 engine; particularly in light of it's somewhat "bastardized" design (in many ways a air/oil cooled engine that was adapted for liquid cooling). One also has to say that it's greatest weakness is a result of these design compromises, e.g. coolant tubing failures. There is no denying that direct injection is the future of conventional gas engine fuel delivery. I have to believe that PAG designed the 9A1 engine with Factory-backed racing in mind and that this engine, in years to come, will carry the Porsche racing tradition proudly. I will say, however, that it does make our GT1-engined cars more noteworthy than they already were ~ much like the 993 and the value/respect that they garner today.
You're mistaken to confuse the street car issues (coolant and power steering connector glue failure) with the race engine performance.

While DI is a marvelous way to control the engine, it's still a matter of fiddling around with a basic chemistry set. The end result is the same: pollution: mass production of chemicals that persist and accumulate in the ecosystem and do not revert to an organic form in a sustainable time frame without causing harm to other biosphere cycles. Somewhat ironically, it's not science or physics, chemistry or economics that is killing the internal combustion engine, it's simple mathematics or arithmetic -- exponential growth. Here's a worthwhile video that really won't challenge your math skills or your patience or your attention span, but it will perhaps challenge your willingness and openness to accept an inconvenient fact of growth, population and energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY
Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Whatever they race @ the Circuit de la Sarthe, they'll have two years to homologate which fits well with Porsche's production cycle (at least as it was with the 997).

997 introduced as MY2005 and GT3/RS as MY 2007
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

http://www.popcorners.com/ 911SLOW was correct.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 12-30-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho

Regards,

Don't fancy our chances on this happening... If its being showcased in a $400k 918, I doubt they would throw it into a $125k GT3 for homologation purposes... Not unless we are prepared to pay $300k for a GT3/RS They are all about making MORE money, not less.... Thus the suggested fate of the GT1 unit...
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You're mistaken to confuse the street car issues (coolant and power steering connector glue failure) with the race engine performance.

While DI is a marvelous way to control the engine, it's still a matter of fiddling around with a basic chemistry set. The end result is the same: pollution: mass production of chemicals that persist and accumulate in the ecosystem and do not revert to an organic form in a sustainable time frame without causing harm to other biosphere cycles. Somewhat ironically, it's not science or physics, chemistry or economics that is killing the internal combustion engine, it's simple mathematics or arithmetic -- exponential growth. Here's a worthwhile video that really won't challenge your math skills or your patience or your attention span, but it will perhaps challenge your willingness and openness to accept an inconvenient fact of growth, population and energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY

Thanks for the video link.
I don’t want to start a global warming / Co2 / pollution debate here but using exponential growth and geometric sequences and simple arithmetic when talking about humans is quite deterministic and a bit unfair, we deserve a more stochastic process to come into play when trying to foresee our future..as we are so unpredictable..that anything goes.
I don’t have an immediate answer on why it seems that the whole car industry united in this front to lower emissions and whether this was caused by the need to follow the new emission regulations (and looking further to find out who started this and if it was the right thing to do ) or the need to do a “fake revolution” to create a new “must have” product and promote sales. (Currently manufacturers earn more money with this change and on the other hand we spend more money)
On the other hand, and despite the fact that nobody really knows when oil won’t be enough to cover the demand, anything that promotes efficiency of an engine is as a good thing on my book. The more efficient = the more powerful with less consumption. Audi in racing showed the world what the more efficient by nature diesel engines can do. And speaking about Porsche I personally considers DIF as an evolution and not a revolution.
But do I necessarily want to buy a more “efficient” engine on my next GT3? Probably not...the one I have now is pretty efficient for my standards until 1L of petrol reaches 10EUR and then I will reconsider.
Now let’s hope that they touch my other favorite by product of this lower emissions “revolution”:

Car weight loss which I fully support! : )
Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
gt2 regs say no turbos. anyway, turbos are not durable enough for racing. it has to stay n/a.
You may have forgotten a few turbos from years past that were somewhat successful ...

Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche Motorsports has been testing DFI engines in race cars for the past year.

I know that the RSR now uses direct injection, so I assume that that is the new engine that they will use in the GT3's (street and race).

Maybe they are trying to lower development costs and building costs by using the new motor in both race and street GT cars.

By the way Porsche has been going with the more track focused cars, Im sure they will not do anything that will alienate this segment of their customers, after all we are the ones that spend Big $$$ with Porsche on street cars, race cars, parts, and support.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of course, they were the days of real turbos, not the hairdryers they use now. today's models can't go the distance. haha
Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
Don't fancy our chances on this happening... If its being showcased in a $400k 918, I doubt they would throw it into a $125k GT3 for homologation purposes... Not unless we are prepared to pay $300k for a GT3/RS They are all about making MORE money, not less.... Thus the suggested fate of the GT1 unit...
When a Carrera Sport Classic and 911 Speedster already listed over $200K at base-price, I wouldn't be surprised the next GT3/GT3RS will be priced in the much higher market (Isn't that what VW Group planning the future 991 lineup to be? To be more up-market and technologically sophisticated?)

A high $200K-plus next generation 991 GT3/GT3RS will not be too much of a fancy, I am afraid.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired