Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Driving impressions of 997.1 GT3 vs. 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:42 AM
jlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving impressions of 997.1 GT3 vs. 997.2 GT3

Lately, since I sold the CLK BS, I have been thinking about getting into a GT3 again.

Drove the 997.2 GT3 yesterday and 997.1 GT3 today. When driving the 2010 GT3, due to traffic, I really could not open it up but the turn in was definitely sharper and the steering felt very precise but heavier. The car felt very stable and just glued to the road. My initial impression was maybe the car is "too" good. Less drama.

I had already previously owned a 2007 GT3 a few years ago, but when I drove a 2007 GT3 again today, I felt in love with it all over again. The car felt lighter, the front end did not feel as "glued" to the road, and therefor demanded more attention in a good way.

I am not too sure of my impressions of the two cars, especially of the newer GT3 since my time behind the wheel is very limited, so I would like to hear your subjective experiences of the two versions of GT3's, especially if you have owned both.

I don't really care that 997.2 GT3 performs a little better since I never go to the track. Looks wise, they both look good and I would be happy with either of them. For me, it is all about how I feel when driving the cars.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

i have a 2010 GT3 hidden somewhere.
had 2008 and 2007 GT3 non Rs.
there is no reason to take .1 over .2
it's not even close.
the .2 cars are not evolutionary, it's far superior.
where is larry cable. he knows it well.
he will chime in.

also, test driving cars without know who and how they are set up cant be used to compare two cars. both car must set up to how and where you drive, and usually takes 100's of miles to test. a smidge of wrong toe will cause these cars to behave horribly. when i drove my 07 RS off the lot, i drove home (10 miles) and i called my broker b/c i wanted to sell it. my mechanic came over to align it that night and i love it. these car are very alignment sensitive, EXTREMELY so.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:13 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee
Lately, since I sold the CLK BS, I have been thinking about getting into a GT3 again.

Drove the 997.2 GT3 yesterday and 997.1 GT3 today. When driving the 2010 GT3, due to traffic, I really could not open it up but the turn in was definitely sharper and the steering felt very precise but heavier. The car felt very stable and just glued to the road. My initial impression was maybe the car is "too" good. Less drama.

I had already previously owned a 2007 GT3 a few years ago, but when I drove a 2007 GT3 again today, I felt in love with it all over again. The car felt lighter, the front end did not feel as "glued" to the road, and therefor demanded more attention in a good way.

I am not too sure of my impressions of the two cars, especially of the newer GT3 since my time behind the wheel is very limited, so I would like to hear your subjective experiences of the two versions of GT3's, especially if you have owned both.

I don't really care that 997.2 GT3 performs a little better since I never go to the track. Looks wise, they both look good and I would be happy with either of them. For me, it is all about how I feel when driving the cars.
Try a 6 gt3- if u hate glue : ). Mike
Old 12-25-2010, 02:25 AM
jlee
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
i have a 2010 GT3 hidden somewhere.
had 2008 and 2007 GT3 non Rs.
there is no reason to take .1 over .2
it's not even close.
the .2 cars are not evolutionary, it's far superior.
where is larry cable. he knows it well.
he will chime in.

also, test driving cars without know who and how they are set up cant be used to compare two cars. both car must set up to how and where you drive, and usually takes 100's of miles to test. a smidge of wrong toe will cause these cars to behave horribly. when i drove my 07 RS off the lot, i drove home (10 miles) and i called my broker b/c i wanted to sell it. my mechanic came over to align it that night and i love it. these car are very alignment sensitive, EXTREMELY so.
Thanks Mooty. What you said makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:29 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
now that's a real POS wonder how we know.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:30 AM
jlee
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I only drove a 996 GT3 once, and it seemed a little unrefined and "nervous". Probably something a good alignment would take care of per Mooty
Old 12-25-2010, 02:38 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ nah. it's always nervous compared to 7's.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:56 AM
jlee
Instructor

On the 997.2 GT3, are the dynamic engine mounts something that you can feel?
Old 12-25-2010, 03:20 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i can't
Old 12-25-2010, 03:25 AM
jlee
Instructor

I wonder if the benefit of the dynamic engine mounts has ever been objectively tested as in faster lap times.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:05 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlee
On the 997.2 GT3, are the dynamic engine mounts something that you can feel?
I think I did feel the dynamic engine mount working. Coming from a 997S to a GT3, I drove the same road everytime I go home. There was one curve left-right-left-right-etc. road that I drove thousands of times over the years. May be because I drove on that road so many times, I could almost notice every little difference here and there...

In my 997S on the left-right-left-right swinging sensation on that curve road, I could feel the chassis turned and then in millliseconds later the engine settled, kind of like the weight of the engine was fighting to keep up with the direction of the chassis through some rubber bushings.

When I got my GT3, I drove on the same road, and I immediately noticed the lack of the above engine/chassis swinging sensation. I have been in some race-prepped solid engine mount 911s before, and I could reassemble the solid sensation of my GT3 to these cars.

I have no idea if the dynamic engine mount would directly make the GT3 faster, but it does make me more confident and can 'attack' the curves better & faster. Before when I was in my 997S, I sometimes got scared during those milliseconds that the engine weight settled and chased after the chassis for directional change at the curves, not only I hestiated to go faster but also scared me to subconsciously 'lift' the throttle (which is a no-no on 911, I know...)

Long story short, yes, I do love the dynamic engine mount and I will choose this option again.

With best regards,
Old 12-25-2010, 03:26 PM
jlee
Instructor

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I think I did feel the dynamic engine mount working. Coming from a 997S to a GT3, I drove the same road everytime I go home. There was one curve left-right-left-right-etc. road that I drove thousands of times over the years. May be because I drove on that road so many times, I could almost notice every little difference here and there...

In my 997S on the left-right-left-right swinging sensation on that curve road, I could feel the chassis turned and then in millliseconds later the engine settled, kind of like the weight of the engine was fighting to keep up with the direction of the chassis through some rubber bushings.

When I got my GT3, I drove on the same road, and I immediately noticed the lack of the above engine/chassis swinging sensation. I have been in some race-prepped solid engine mount 911s before, and I could reassemble the solid sensation of my GT3 to these cars.

I have no idea if the dynamic engine mount would directly make the GT3 faster, but it does make me more confident and can 'attack' the curves better & faster. Before when I was in my 997S, I sometimes got scared during those milliseconds that the engine weight settled and chased after the chassis for directional change at the curves, not only I hestiated to go faster but also scared me to subconsciously 'lift' the throttle (which is a no-no on 911, I know...)

Long story short, yes, I do love the dynamic engine mount and I will choose this option again.

With best regards,
Thanks!
Old 12-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Drove a 996 GT3 for 4 years. Then a 997 Gt3 RS for 3 more. Performance from 996 to 997.1 RS was nil on the track. The RS was more civilized but no faster. The 997.2 RS is faster and more like the 996 GT3 than the Mk 1 RS. I cannot feel the dynamic engine mounts on a track I have driven a hundred times or more.
The 2-3 shift under load is still an iffy proposition in spite of the dynamic mounts.

Regards,
Old 12-25-2010, 04:42 PM
jlee
Instructor

^Thanks!
Old 12-25-2010, 04:51 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Drove a 996 GT3 for 4 years. Then a 997 Gt3 RS for 3 more. Performance from 996 to 997.1 RS was nil on the track. The RS was more civilized but no faster. The 997.2 RS is faster and more like the 996 GT3 than the Mk 1 RS. I cannot feel the dynamic engine mounts on a track I have driven a hundred times or more.
The 2-3 shift under load is still an iffy proposition in spite of the dynamic mounts.

Regards,
same here.
though if you blip on the up shift, it helps. not sure why as the syncro is brand new....

Quick Reply: Driving impressions of 997.1 GT3 vs. 997.2 GT3