Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Driving impressions of 997.1 GT3 vs. 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
skipping all the rest - one can always go and look at 996 spec class setup and just copy it as it is pretty well thought and compromised system.

to start with setup - there is a well known penske guide http://www.penskeshocks.co.uk/downlo...TechManual.pdf
after than it is a personal decision to keep it or sell it. there is always constant demand for jrz/moton suspension parts, so, it is not going to take long to sell it.
useful info! thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dont disagree with anything you said; I had bever thought of using AX as an environment to tune suspension ... I tried it once but never had the right car, nor the patience to spend a day for so little track time ... YMMV.

I guess my point is that per $, replacing a GT3s suspension completely is a pretty expensive act for incremental gains... where for the most part none of
us can push a GT3 to its 'out of the box' limits ... I myself have previously poured ridiculous amounts on money into my 964 and 993 ...

When I can push a GT3 around the ring with a BtoG of around 7:20 I'll buy myself a new suspension!

I actually think the PASM on the .2 is much improved, although in fact I think its more to do with the change in spring rates ...

I also think for resale, unless you are using it as a pure track car, or selling it as such ... having a huge investment in the suspension is either a zero sum game or a real resale limiter ...
suspension tune is a cheating of some sort. some folks find fun in riding pure stock setup with stock camber, i certainly respect that but after I did it for one season I simply wanted more fun, and ended up with compete rebuild and do not regret it a single bit. Perhaps mostly simply because I was not good enough to push it to the limit in its stock form.

gt3, c2, c2s - they are all the same NB tub. gt3 just saves money up front as it has most of required items are already installed, but still all this music requires a lot of adjustments - choose what tires in what sizes to run, then change camber for these specific tires, then adjust sways to dial in proper basic car front/rear balance, then start adjusting shocks to fine tune this balance.
that is how any amateur can do it, considering you have a safe environment where to test turning-in and sliding out safely. i cannot think about anything else than AX for that as I personally would definitely not want to discover that my car stopped doing what I expected it to do when I have a concrete wall in 50ft ahead of me.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
suspension tune is a cheating of some sort. some folks find fun in riding pure stock setup with stock camber, i certainly respect that but after I did it for one season I simply wanted more fun, and ended up with compete rebuild and do not regret it a single bit. Perhaps mostly simply because I was not good enough to push it to the limit in its stock form.

gt3, c2, c2s - they are all the same NB tub. gt3 just saves money up front as it has most of required items are already installed, but still all this music requires a lot of adjustments - choose what tires in what sizes to run, then change camber for these specific tires, then adjust sways to dial in proper basic car front/rear balance, then start adjusting shocks to fine tune this balance. that is how any amateur can do it, considering you have a safe environment where to test turning-in and sliding out safely. i cannot think about anything else than AX for that as I personally would definitely not want to discover that my car stopped doing what I expected it to do when I have a concrete wall in 50ft ahead of me.
I hope you dont get me wrong, I am not saying that anyone that embarks upon such a path is doomed to failure or is in some way "wrong" for doing it! Ive done it a couple of time myself already ...

My point is that as it comes out of the box, the GT3 does have a lot of the necessary components to play with the cars handling; of course those components are "optimized" for cost of production, and compromised for
streetability.

With a good alignment, corner balance, proper tyres, swaybars adjusted etc the car's handling is pretty damn good, certainly with limits greater than I can exploit...

The difference I see between upgrading your suspension and upgrading either the brakes or the exhaust or an ECU remap is that (hopefully) all the R&D has been done by professionals up front with those mods, so you bolt them on and pretty much forget them ... and you pretty much get "what it says on the box" with a suspension upgrade (and in particular a change of springs and adjustable dampers/valving) someone needs to the the R&D for the adjustment, so its not "fire and forget" there is a learning curve associated ...

So you can very easily drop a lot of money and get a car that is undrivable on the street ... or isnt any faster (with the same driver) at a particular track ...

I will now take off my "suspension" scrouge (bah humbug)/grinch hat! !

Quick Reply: Driving impressions of 997.1 GT3 vs. 997.2 GT3