Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New RS arrived - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:19 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RS arrived - first impressions

The car arrived at the dealership last Saturday. My wife was very happy with the colors she had picked for me - aqua blue with white gold. Took it an a short 6 miles test drive with the sales guy. What to say? For the first few minutes of driving I was not talking - could not trust my voice quality as I was in heaven. Just let everything sink in. The most immediate impression is the music from the engine - raw, loud and glorious. BTW what makes it sound so much better the 6GT3? Being it a test drive I kept it under 6K RPM or so .There is just no way I will keep it under 4000 RPM through break-in...Then there's the ride. How did they make it ride so much better than 1.RS? Steering is about the same as I remember from gen 1. appears to be slow to react to tiny inputs around center, but gets very responsive as you increase steering angle. Grip is prodigious and the car goes exactly where pointed - no need to negotiate a bit like in the 6GT3.
The brakes (steel) were somewhat of a surprise. Very touchy and require very light pressure - almost too light. I wonder how they will the be on the track.

Chatter from the LWFW seems less bothersome than on gen 1, maybe due to higher ambient noise in the cabin. BTW, the cabin is somehow very insulated from outside noises.

Driving back home in my 6GT3, not constraining myself to self imposed RPM limits, it felt lighter and just as powerful. Great cars they are all.
Since then I got the car and drove it very little as I am waiting to install clear bra.
I got used to the brakes, and surprised to clear some of the driveways I am used to scratch with my chin spoilers. If I recall correctly, gen 1 RS settled on its perches quite a bit after a few month. Do gen 2 do that as well?
There's also a barely detectable clicking noise when the car is moving. Almost sound like a valve that need adjustment but that is not the case as it does not manifest in idle. Anybody picked up on that? My wife could not hear it sitting next to me.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Max Power
Racer

Congratulations on the purchase, and enjoy!
Are you planning to add a roll cage?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy in good health.
If I could do a do-over it would be blue with gold..

The most immediate impression is the music from the engine - raw, loud and glorious.
Unplug and get a sharky. You can still make blue tooth phone calls, as long as you don't mind that they can hear the engine in the background

I wonder how they will the be on the track
Perfect, they'll get a bit softer when warmed up, ideal for heelntoe with a bit wider/grippier brake pedal.

BTW, the cabin is somehow very insulated from outside noises.
yes, but less insulation from the engine noise, more then 997MK1.

I got used to the brakes, and surprised to clear some of the driveways I am used to scratch with my chin spoilers.
A lot more clearence then the MKI front lip, I have more clearence with my CUP lip then normal lip on MKI! I am not sure how much due to less lowering RS.

There's also a barely detectable clicking noise
Ahh, new-car bionic ears, it will rattle, squeel and i am sure eventually leak. if it would not, I'd think they sold me a fake

Now, go order a sharky, roll bar and seat belts, corner balance the beast and hit the track. That's where the big surpirse is ;-)
Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

911slow -
Your threads may be considered useful even if empty - as long as your avatar is there...
I will take some nice shots and post, hopefully this weekend.
TRACKCAR -
I will see you at Sebring Winterfest, probably still with my 6GT3.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:18 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Max Power -
The plan is to take the RS cage, belts and fire extinguisher from my 6GT3 and install in the new RS. Not ready to do it quite yet.
TRACKCAR -
I like the sound so much - why do I need Sharkey?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:15 PM
drane
Advanced

Blue and gold my favorite as well!! Thinking os sale on the 6GT3?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:57 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

6GT3 will go at some point; PM me if interested.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 440 Posts

Congrats! You bought my favorite combo!

Hope to see you and your car in a track event, I won't be in the Sebring Winterfest but maybe another event
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by my911rs
Max Power -
The plan is to take the RS cage, belts and fire extinguisher from my 6GT3 and install in the new RS. Not ready to do it quite yet.
TRACKCAR -
Trust him on sharkwerks bypass.....it is worth it's weight in gold

I have it on my 997.1, live in Windermere if you want to hear it
Old 12-24-2010, 12:39 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

See you at Sebring, you can wait until you hear my sharky to buy it, but you are just delaying 2 weeks..

You mean you like the sound at 4RPM.
Unplug and it always souds great form idle, add sharky and it always sounds fantastic and helps with heel n toe with louder cars around you.

Your Ti will break. Mine started rattling after 4 track days and it was really broken after 15, or 5K miles. They wil fix under warranty, but how often? So if you don't get sharky, you will get it when you put your next Ti warranty exhaust in a box and THEN get a sharky. Might as well start enjoying the sound now.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,813 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by my911rs
et.
TRACKCAR -
because you will like it more
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Izzone
Trust him on sharkwerks bypass.....it is worth it's weight in gold

I have it on my 997.1, live in Windermere if you want to hear it
+1. Great bang for your buck.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 AM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input guys. I am very close to becoming a (Sharkey) convert. Up until now all my GT3 cars were left bone stock (other than safety mods, pads, fluid etc).
Back in 2002 I had a C2 with aerokit, and had to modify it quite a bit just to be able to align it for the track. Than came the exhaust system. At the end I concluded it was a better proposition for me to save the money in upgrades towards a faster car. And the GT3 are still faster than I am capable of driving them, thus even less incentive to go the mod route.
But the Sharkey does sound good (pun intended)!
About to lose my virginity - again!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

The sharkwerks bi-pass is apparent as soon as you fire up the car in the morning.
It is just that much more of what factory wouldn't let you have due to strict manufacture import emissions/noise restrictions.

This is how the exhaust is supposed to sound.

Exhaust on the 996 is different design than 997 therefore different sound. 996 owners are installing 997 headers with center exit exhaust on the 996 cars which gives great flow and sound.

As far as ride goes, the difference between 997.1 and 997.2 shouldnt be too much as they are both same chasis with interchangeable parts i believe?

what color is your 996?

Quick Reply: New RS arrived - first impressions