Differential Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differential Whining Noise

Hey Guys,

For a few weeks, I have noticed a whining noise when freewheeling (decelerating) in 2nd or 1st gear with the clutch pedal down. The noise disappears when I put the gear lever in neutral. It does not always happen and seems to occur when the engine / gearbox is cold or hot indifferently. It was pretty bad today and I was able to get it to make this noise with the Porsche tech riding shotgun.

He told me that this comes from the differential, probably from 'loose' friction plates, but that it is not an emergency and I can still drive the car, including on the track. He asked me to bring it in after my next track day (Friday 24); he will take a recording of the noise and send it to the factory, but also take a sample of the gearbox oil to analyze, before deciding what to do.

Has anybody had this problem before? I searched the forum but did not find anything similar. Is this serious? Should I ask them to replace the differential?

I should add that I have been on the track a couple of times since the noise appeared and did not notice any difference in cornering, which seems to indicate that the diff is doing its job.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
Hey Guys,

For a few weeks, I have noticed a whining noise when freewheeling (decelerating) in 2nd or 1st gear with the clutch pedal down. The noise disappears when I put the gear lever in neutral. It does not always happen and seems to occur when the engine / gearbox is cold or hot indifferently. It was pretty bad today and I was able to get it to make this noise with the Porsche tech riding shotgun.

He told me that this comes from the differential, probably from 'loose' friction plates, but that it is not an emergency and I can still drive the car, including on the track. He asked me to bring it in after my next track day (Friday 24); he will take a recording of the noise and send it to the factory, but also take a sample of the gearbox oil to analyze, before deciding what to do.

Has anybody had this problem before? I searched the forum but did not find anything similar. Is this serious? Should I ask them to replace the differential?

I should add that I have been on the track a couple of times since the noise appeared and did not notice any difference in cornering, which seems to indicate that the diff is doing its job.

Thanks for your help!
It may be the dif as they say, but this is probably dead since a long time now, this is why you don't feel much difference, in our cars because the inherent good rear traction, is not that critical to have a working differential to enjoy the car at the track. I got mine upgraded by Guards GT a few months ago and now I can feel the difference a working dif makes at the track, a much more planted rear end during heavy braking, and bit better acceleration coming out of the turns,

I recommend you to call Mike at guards gt and get a real working differential.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:35 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gus F
It may be the dif as they say, but this is probably dead since a long time now, this is why you don't feel much difference, in our cars because the inherent good rear traction, is not that critical to have a working differential to enjoy the car at the track. I got mine upgraded by Guards GT a few months ago and now I can feel the difference a working dif makes at the track, a much more planted rear end during heavy braking, and bit better acceleration coming out of the turns,

I recommend you to call Mike at guards gt and get a real working differential.
What he said.

If you still have the OE differential then you are wasting your time at the dealership. Put the Guard in and forget about it except for lube changes.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

^+1

If you track the car the differential is gone long ago you should ask them to fix it under warranty after they measure pre-load as per the workshop manual. Despite the fact that the factory’s accepted minimum Nm values are low you have a good chance that yours will be below them.
Now use your charm and ask them Instead of using oem clutch pack disks or completely changing the diff that you will order and they will install the Motorsport cup ones. (older version is much better)
Now about the noise itself if it was coming from the LSD I suspect that it will always be there regardless of gear selected or clutch depressed or neutral. So it might be a syncro,something in the gearbox itself or nothing except sensitive ears : )
Unfortunately for you.. the dealer “recording a whining sound and sending to Germany” is another way to describe that they have no clue about these cars.
With all the boom in track days there and all the GT Porsche cars sold don’t you guys have a decent independent workshop?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:52 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

My local dealer recently advised to me that the LSD on my RS was gone. We worked out a deal where he replaced all inside plates/parts with Guard under the warranty. I paid for the parts from Guard, labor was covered under the Porsche warranty.
Haven't had a chance to road test (dying too) as it is cold and raining here till mid spring.
Don't waste your time with the OEM factory replacement (excluding the factory Motorsport LSD of course).
Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Thanks guys. I am getting the picture. A few months ago, back when there was a lot of talk about LSDs going bad on this forum, I asked them to test mine. They did and reported that it was fine. 911SLOW, I will take your advice and ask them to do it again.

There are a couple of good Porsche workshops in Dubai, but any work done outside the approved Service Center or any non-Porsche parts installed on the car will result in a void warranty. But it sounds like the factory Motorsport LSD would be an acceptable solution to them. How would that change the way the car behaves on the road?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 PM
hattawi

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
^+1

If you track the car the differential is gone long ago you should ask them to fix it under warranty after they measure pre-load as per the workshop manual. Despite the fact that the factory’s accepted minimum Nm values are low you have a good chance that yours will be below them.
Now use your charm and ask them Instead of using oem clutch pack disks or completely changing the diff that you will order and they will install the Motorsport cup ones. (older version is much better)
Now about the noise itself if it was coming from the LSD I suspect that it will always be there regardless of gear selected or clutch depressed or neutral. So it might be a syncro,something in the gearbox itself or nothing except sensitive ears : )
Unfortunately for you.. the dealer “recording a whining sound and sending to Germany” is another way to describe that they have no clue about these cars.
With all the boom in track days there and all the GT Porsche cars sold don’t you guys have a decent independent workshop?
I tell you we have two dealerships in the country and each one is worse than the other. I have issues with my front axle list and they claim it's normal and try to convince me like an idiot. Yes both of them. the other day i received a call from one to tell me that they can't find the wiring for the lift system and that I don't have that option in my car. How the hell that button made it way to my dash?!!!! magic maybe!!

Would you believe that i took my gt3 to remove the 120km warning sound and got out with a faulty fuel sensor? They claimed it was normal also... LOL

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
Thanks guys. I am getting the picture. A few months ago, back when there was a lot of talk about LSDs going bad on this forum, I asked them to test mine. They did and reported that it was fine. 911SLOW, I will take your advice and ask them to do it again.

There are a couple of good Porsche workshops in Dubai, but any work done outside the approved Service Center or any non-Porsche parts installed on the car will result in a void warranty. But it sounds like the factory Motorsport LSD would be an acceptable solution to them. How would that change the way the car behaves on the road?
Who are we kidding? i asked them to replace my exhaust with the cup one and the monkeys said it will void your warranty. dude, ur car is better off outside our dealers. Am writing a looooong email to Porsche ME for a hope.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Hey Saif, I hope they solve your problems soon! It is no fun to have a wonderful machine like a GT3 and not being able to use it... I am going to the Dubai Autodrome track day this Friday. If you get your car back in time, you should join us. There will be a few club regulars.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:17 PM
hattawi

I've already registered. c u at the track!!

Quick Reply: Differential Whining Noise