Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

ECU Upgrade. Anyone done it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
At least in California, these things are about to become a more expensive proposition for the vendor -- the government is imposing new tests which will focus on after-market mods (even if they don't fail smog, if the mod is not certified, the car doesn't pass emissions for registration.) This has NOTHING to do with emissions or environmental concerns, just revenue -- the mod vendor will be paying a fee to get the certification for their mod and here's the kicker ... the more cars reporting the certificate for that mod, the more it costs! Bastards.
yet more reasons not to be in CA, legally. vote with your legs and move your businesses out of there.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
andrew2008
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
yet more reasons not to be in CA, legally. vote with your legs and move your businesses out of there.
CA does have it's problems, but right now it's 80 and sunny outside...
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew2008
CA does have it's problems, but right now it's 80 and sunny outside...
How can you stand that kind of heat?!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3

If you want more torque and horsepower across a broad rpm range, a 3.9 conversion is the way to go. Expensive, but worth it. .
agree I want that also...but with a ECU flash
Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM
andrew2008
Advanced

Originally Posted by Serge944
How can you stand that kind of heat?!
Luckily there's the beach
Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew2008
Luckily there's the beach
Ok, enough
10 deg F here today with lots of snow
Old 12-13-2010, 10:25 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I had EvomsIT flash my RS ECU simply to get the recurring after-cat O2 sensor CEL (due to my Akrapovic) removed. I specifically asked them NOT to alter the throttle ratio (also called "tip-in". ) mapping which is where folks seem to think they got a power boost. It just comes on quicker. On my car I was perfectly happy with the throttle ratio and prefer a linear/slow one to better modulate power.

Had I not preferred the CEL to stay off I would have never flashed. Naturally aspirated engines usually have very little extra to give from simply tweaking the A/F ratio and timing maps. With that said, Evoms did say they added a new 100 octane map which would be beneficial. With all this said I noticed no difference in power after the flash, nor did I expect one.

If you want throttle to feel quicker, and for the throttle ratio to be faster and more responsive, or have a lag in OE configuration then I think the Sprint Booster is the cost effective solution and not an ECU flash.

Oh- a service department will have no idea that you have a flash installed.

FWIW. YMMV.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
agree I want that also...but with a ECU flash
When you pay for a 3.9 conversion, they throw in the ECU flash for free.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,813 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
interesting dialog
Sharkwerks has a stellar reputation and they sell a lot of evoms flashes... I am sort of sure if it was crap, they would not sell it... I am not sure if they have a maha dyno but they have done their fair share of "tuning" with the boys from evoms... not to mention that the guys from evoms have a lot of custom tuning experience etc

I am not for or against and my ecu is stock at the moment...

just find it interesting that it is dismissed as "not worth it" or "snake oil"

here is the evoms link to non fi applications
http://www.evomsit.com/Porsche_MAIN_NA_App_Guide.htm

would be interesting to hear from evoms or Sharkwerks in this thread...
alex sells great stuff.
but i am lazy...
one mod, 100hp, i do it.
many mods, 100hp, i am too lazy.
you noticed, when i have to mod. i go buy a new car. less waiting.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Cheyne
Instructor

We gained 55 whp with using our Cup "s" copy headers and rear section along with software developed in conjunction with Eurodyne on the 996 Gt3. Working on cracking the 997 ecm at the moment. It is fully laptop tunable. In other words it turn your factory ecm into a standalone tunable system. The gains on the turbos are rediculous when using an experienced tuner on the dyno.

Last edited by Cheyne; 12-14-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Since my previous attempt to a cute post might not do the work please note:

Softronic is the company that claims that they can add to the 996 MK1 GT3 30hp with a cable flash!
Rather interesting considering that the older Bosch motronic unit M 5.5 of the 6 MK1 isn't compatible with an OBD cable flash upgrade and for a mk1 996 gt3 to gain real 30HP you need to upgrade a "few" more things.. from personal experience with the 6GT their specific claim for the 996MK1 GT3 is err how to say it politely..a damn lie.

(Btw and FYI they actually tried to sell the cable upgrade to a friend with a Mk1, they took his money and when he received the cable and couldn’t use it of course , they replied with an email that to their surprise it isn’t compatible with his car !)

So ^these same guys claim that they can add 20 HP to the 997MK1 GT3..

RS tuning’s owner Gerhard Schmirler considered by many in the industry as one of the best Porsche dme programmers in Europe today, managed to get only about 5hp from the 997.1 GT3 ecu using he own table engine dyno..

The other company mentioned by the OP well I don't know it, but if they claim anything close as a peak gain to what softronic claims without any other modification to the engine I would be similarly suspicious.

To sum it up what you could possibly gain for this 1000+ USD generic ecu "upgrade" is a better throttle response and maybe a few unnoticed hp gains . Hardly what you would call a value for money mod.

Dme reprogramming on the other hand would be really necessary on a GT3 when you do change exhaust characteristics such as headers &cats etc or significantly alter the induction or when you want to increase the rev limiter or of course when you fit a 3.9-4 L kit..

just my 2c : )
+1. I would reflash only if and when I change my exhaust manifolds.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
A flash is not going to help you. I assume Nick has a 997S with a 3.8 DFI motor.

If you want more torque and horsepower across a broad rpm range, a 3.9 conversion is the way to go. Expensive, but worth it. The other option is a 997.2 GT3 RS, with a GMG exhaust package. Those things are fast.

But, if you want to lower lap times at the track, get professional coaching, and you will be stunned at the improvement in lap times.
I think I'm going the coach route in a few weeks with Dave Scott. I'm not sure what his screen name is on here. Seems like a nice guy.

http://racecoach.net/

He'll be at the PBOC winterfest event coaching a couple racers and has the time to work with me in between during the DE sessions. Its a pretty good deal since the racers are picking up his travel and lodging costs
Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Steering might help, but I think a shorter ring and pinion would be even better.

I think there's no escaping the 3100lb+ heft and the limited torque of a naturally aspirated engine. The easiest (and most enjoyable) answer is to go one gear shorter. If you're already in 2nd, you need to look at a wider line to create the longer path to exchange time for speed.

I think the shorter final ratio is the bee's knees. I'm keen to see someone with the 3.9 get a shorter diff -- I expect that would be a lot of fun.
It would be an interesting mod for a midlife GT3 to install the RS LWFW along with the shorter RS final gearing ...
Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I think I'm going the coach route in a few weeks with Dave Scott. I'm not sure what his screen name is on here. Seems like a nice guy.

http://racecoach.net/

He'll be at the PBOC winterfest event coaching a couple racers and has the time to work with me in between during the DE sessions. Its a pretty good deal since the racers are picking up his travel and lodging costs
Ask him to bring his Avatar, That will get you to drop 6 secs from your lap times.

Peter
Old 12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
It would be an interesting mod for a midlife GT3 to install the RS LWFW and pulley along with the shorter RS final gearing ...
^ fixed

ring and pinion and a regear improves the car dramatically IMHO... the single best "mod" for GT3s in my opinion

Quick Reply: ECU Upgrade. Anyone done it yet?