Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

ECU Upgrade. Anyone done it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Steering might help, but I think a shorter ring and pinion would be even better.

I think there's no escaping the 3100lb+ heft and the limited torque of a naturally aspirated engine. The easiest (and most enjoyable) answer is to go one gear shorter. If you're already in 2nd, you need to look at a wider line to create the longer path to exchange time for speed.

I think the shorter final ratio is the bee's knees. I'm keen to see someone with the 3.9 get a shorter diff -- I expect that would be a lot of fun.
LOL.

Sorry, RING and pinion. Got lost in translation

But you'd also have to be on the ball to stay off of the rev limiter in the lower gears.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Since my previous attempt to a cute post might not do the work please note:

Softronic is the company that claims that they can add to the 996 MK1 GT3 30hp with a cable flash!
Rather interesting considering that the older Bosch motronic unit M 5.5 of the 6 MK1 isn't compatible with an OBD cable flash upgrade and for a mk1 996 gt3 to gain real 30HP you need to upgrade a "few" more things.. from personal experience with the 6GT their specific claim for the 996MK1 GT3 is err how to say it politely..a damn lie.

(Btw and FYI they actually tried to sell the cable upgrade to a friend with a Mk1, they took his money and when he received the cable and couldn’t use it of course , they replied with an email that to their surprise it isn’t compatible with his car !)

So ^these same guys claim that they can add 20 HP to the 997MK1 GT3..

RS tuning’s owner Gerhard Schmirler considered by many in the industry as one of the best Porsche dme programmers in Europe today, managed to get only about 5hp from the 997.1 GT3 ecu using he own table engine dyno..

The other company mentioned by the OP well I don't know it, but if they claim anything close as a peak gain to what softronic claims without any other modification to the engine I would be similarly suspicious.

To sum it up what you could possibly gain for this 1000+ USD generic ecu "upgrade" is a better throttle response and maybe a few unnoticed hp gains . Hardly what you would call a value for money mod.

Dme reprogramming on the other hand would be really necessary on a GT3 when you do change exhaust characteristics such as headers &cats etc or significantly alter the induction or when you want to increase the rev limiter or of course when you fit a 3.9-4 L kit..

just my 2c : )
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i dont know... but personally i am interested in flashes when it can deliver 100hp and allow me to win Lemans with no skills. pls let me know when such DME comes along. otherwise, my OEM is just peechee.

but 3.9 does sound good.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting dialog
Sharkwerks has a stellar reputation and they sell a lot of evoms flashes... I am sort of sure if it was crap, they would not sell it... I am not sure if they have a maha dyno but they have done their fair share of "tuning" with the boys from evoms... not to mention that the guys from evoms have a lot of custom tuning experience etc

I am not for or against and my ecu is stock at the moment...

just find it interesting that it is dismissed as "not worth it" or "snake oil"

here is the evoms link to non fi applications
http://www.evomsit.com/Porsche_MAIN_NA_App_Guide.htm

would be interesting to hear from evoms or Sharkwerks in this thread...
Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

It would be interesting to see some independent before and after testing. Maybe I'll volunteer

I wonder why Evo has gone the route to flash at their facility (or authorized dealer) instead of a cable flash? The cable flash seems infinitely more convenient with regards to install and offers the option to return it to stock if needed.

I don't know much about softronic as a company. Evo does have a great reputation though. I would be shocked if Todd and Sharky were selling a product that did nothing....
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Andrew...hire Chris Hall for a coaching day at Sebring.....mod the driver not the car at this point...seriously.
That won't help highway roll-ons against Nick though

My car is barely, and I mean barely faster than his 997S.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I have the center muffler bypass now. Sounds great. Seems like there are some decent gains when combined with an ECU reprogram for a specific octane.
IMHO if you still have stock cats - ECU flash will not do much difference. it seems that all those flashes work on that edge where due to modded exhaust they can get a bit more of air flow plus by sacrificing a bit of emissions restrictions they deliver a bit of more power. a bit.

but with all stock restrictions like stock intake, stock cats - effect is not that visible.

also, they all seem to 'bump' low rev torque, in area of 4500 or so. some instructors who drove my car wer very negative about this, as instead of stock very linear power add-up it gets a sudden increase of torque in 4600-4800 area which can unsettle the car if one ignores this.

I still like how softronic works on my car, it was a good mod, plus you can always revert it back to stock if you will not like it. $1000 is not that much to cry about it neither.

if I would be in your shoes (which I am not ) - I would try to find a way to drop 200-300lbs of car weight somehow first, then would go with race exhaust/software package like FVD brombacher, as even it is expensive but it is a complete tuned in solution.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...e-package.html
look at the numbers there so you can decide if it looks worth the money compared to stock.

also it is probably worth keeping in mind what do you spend on your gt3 car compared to how much 996 cup car costs this days.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have considered the EVOMs flash..which only enhances the throttle response with a few added ponies and that according to Alex at Sharkwerks is noticeable by the driver....one concern is the factory warrenty of course, perhaps Alex can contribute his biased opinion
Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malmasri
I have considered the EVOMs flash..which only enhances the throttle response with a few added ponies and that according to Alex at Sharkwerks is noticeable by the driver....one concern is the factory warrenty of course, perhaps Alex can contribute his biased opinion
I want the EVOMS Flash for 93 octane.....and I want it, bad!

But my biggest concern is ...what happens to the CPO?
And how difficult is it to set the ECU back to stock - when and if CPO work is needed?
Looks like the ECU has to be removed and sent back to the source/reseller of the flash code, reflashed and reshipped back and forth....this should not be the case. When you buy the flash you should be able to have access to the file to install/uninstall at your pleasure....am I missing something here?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
I want the EVOMS Flash for 93 octane.....and I want it, bad!

But my biggest concern is ...what happens to the CPO?
And how difficult is it to set the ECU back to stock - when and if CPO work is needed?
Looks like the ECU has to be removed and sent back to the source/reseller of the flash code, reflashed and reshipped back and forth....this should not be the case. When you buy the flash you should be able to have access to the file to install/uninstall at your pleasure....am I missing something here?
any sighns of ECU alteration is a third rail for warranty, usually. with softronic you can revert it back to stock yourself, so, it is a sale pitch for them.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

A flash is not going to help you. I assume Nick has a 997S with a 3.8 DFI motor.

If you want more torque and horsepower across a broad rpm range, a 3.9 conversion is the way to go. Expensive, but worth it. The other option is a 997.2 GT3 RS, with a GMG exhaust package. Those things are fast.

But, if you want to lower lap times at the track, get professional coaching, and you will be stunned at the improvement in lap times.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

ECU Flash is not gonna help if much. The 997.2 3<8 engine is strong...especially with PDK.

You and I need to do some roll on's...I bet I will win.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

If better throttle response is what you want, you may consider sprint booster.http://www.sprintboostersales.com/sp...m?make=Porsche

I've never tried it, but there are some threads where people have said it does make a difference (no hp gains though).
Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
At least in California, these things are about to become a more expensive proposition for the vendor -- the government is imposing new tests which will focus on after-market mods (even if they don't fail smog, if the mod is not certified, the car doesn't pass emissions for registration.) This has NOTHING to do with emissions or environmental concerns, just revenue -- the mod vendor will be paying a fee to get the certification for their mod and here's the kicker ... the more cars reporting the certificate for that mod, the more it costs! Bastards.
Didn't know this. Dam CA. Squeezing every bit for more revenue...

Last edited by chardonet; 12-13-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
If better throttle response is what you want, you may consider sprint booster.http://www.sprintboostersales.com/sp...m?make=Porsche

I've never tried it, but there are some threads where people have said it does make a difference (no hp gains though).
I have one on my 6. 10-15 minute install. I always felt the egas in our cars is lazy like u step on go pedal and there's a slight delay. Gotta say with the sprintbooster-throttle response is so much better especially on track when you're doing heel/toe rev matching or throttle steering. But 1st time driving in the street felt jumpy but after 30 minutes feels fine- just be a little lite on your foot. Mike

Quick Reply: ECU Upgrade. Anyone done it yet?