Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Trailex Question

I am getting ready to purchase a Trailex new.....can not find one used

I tlaked with Carl, but want to run a few things by guys that have them

CT-7451 or CT-8045 / Carl says buy the CT-8045, much more space and longer ramps

Surge or elecric brakes? I am towing with a BMW X5 and really do not want to mess with a brake controller. Ther ear eno hills to speak of in Florida. Carl says surge, I am with him on this unless someone has a compelling reason why not

Manual winch or not. If car brakes down (spills coolant everywhere ) I think it woudl be nice to be able to drag it up on the trailer. Electric woudl be nice, but I am not sure I want to mess with it. Trailer will be stored outside

I will get aluminum wheels, I am sure the steel will rust

I am not going to get a tire rack or storage boxes, Carl says they are easy to add later....trying to save cost

Anything I am missing?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Get 8045
Elect winch
Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Do you have to carry a seperate battery for a electric winch, not sur eI want to mess with hooking it up to my bmw
Old 11-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7451 is just big enough for 997.1 GT3, probably too narrow for RS. So I'd now go for the 80" although the whole deal is bigger and less wieldy. Definitely get the tire rack now - that's the whole purpose to the exercise, it seems to me. I had my rack extended so it will now fit 8 wheels and tires in the widths we need. Maybe Trailex has now extended the rack on new models - check it out. You need room for 4 12"s and 4 9"s.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Seen this?
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59610
Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

- 8045 for sure. You will be keeping this for a while, and unless you can guarantee that you won't get a wide-body, it's not worth the risk.
- Surge brakes are fine, it's a light setup.
- Manual winch is fine (sorry Mooty). This is just in case. You will be driving on and off.
- Get the wheel rack.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have, ship to Florida is not real cheap

The trailex weight is less.....I want light as possible

Nice trailer though
Old 11-24-2010, 10:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
- 8045 for sure. You will be keeping this for a while, and unless you can guarantee that you won't get a wide-body, it's not worth the risk.
- Surge brakes are fine, it's a light setup.
- Manual winch is fine (sorry Mooty). This is just in case. You will be driving on and off.
- Get the wheel rack.
i m really lazy
i have electric tongue jack and electric winch.
i did have to use the winch once when my throttle pedal flew to passenger side (yes, it did). it was not easy to get the car up the ramp without elect. winch.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:27 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i m really lazy
i have electric tongue jack and electric winch.
i did have to use the winch once when my throttle pedal flew to passenger side (yes, it did). it was not easy to get the car up the ramp without elect. winch.
Now THAT I would get
Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely the bigger one
if you do not get the winch for sure get the factory winch prep option

all the factory option ordered now will save you time and money in the long run... just my opinion

rl'er crazy canuck can give you very good advice... he is a trailex dealer and a very nice guy... pm'ing him to pick his brain is worth it... he could spec out the ideal in 10 secs.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

For you I'd say surge and an 8045. The longer ramps are worth the extra $$$. Less PITA.

As for doodads, electric winch is sweet along with a tool box for your crap. Mount the box on the A-Frame with the battery inside. Vent the battery out the box with a louvered vent.

If you carry more ****, add another box.

Electric jack is nice. We spec it on our demo trailers. When you spend $100,000 + on the car, $xx,xxx on the trailer, what's a couple hundred $$$ for an electric winch? Your friends will think you are lazy and be envious at the same time.

Trust me.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:01 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree, I have a 8045 ( for over four years now) and it is great for either the SC or the Cayman. The longer ramps are outstanding (no scraping of a low spoiler) I got the surge brakes on Carl's advice, and have had no problems even towing in the Colorado mountains. YES get the factory winch mount and I'll finally get a electric winch from Northern tool. The factory tire rack is also nice as is their tool box That I mounted on the side across from the spare tire. Could not be happier with my trailer and only an enclosed Trailex would be better..... but then I would need a larger tow vehicle.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 AM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both an electric winch and electric tongue jack on my Aluminum Featherlite. These are both nice luxury items that can make your life a lot easier, but I wouldn't call them essential.

However, I do think that the electric brakes and brake controller is important. Even without hills, the power it takes to stop my trailer when it's unloaded, versus loaded with my GT3 are two different things all together. There have been times when I've been towing my GT3 down the highway going 70MPH with traffic, and had to jam on the brakes when the cars in front of me jammed on their brakes. It's times like that when I really appreciate the electric brakes and brake controller. Without them, the trailer "pushes " the tow vehicle forward under heavy braking and it's a bit freaky. With the electric brakes and the brake booser controller set appropriately, I can't really tell I'm towing anything when it comes time to brake.

Dan
Old 11-25-2010, 10:51 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I would get the electric brakes too. Even though you are in Florida, you may get the urge to go other places. With a 5 figure tow vehicle and a 6 figure towed vehicle, I wouldn't leave much to chance. Better to have too much brake than not enough. Then again you could always take the ceramics you just removed from the 3 and put them on the trailer

I would also get the biggest trailer you can afford with the box, tire rack, and winches, and everything else. It will be more expensive and and a nuisance to add them after the fact.

Being that you're only an hour or so from Sebring, you do have the option to drive if you choose for the time being. If money is an issue (which I have a hard believing after watching you mod your car for the past 3 months ), wait till you see a used one. They pop up all the time. And they're usually a bargain. So much so it would be worth driving to its location and towing it home. They don't do a great job holding their value. Since you don't "have" to have a trailer right now, that's what I would suggest.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Plus 1 on electric brakes. I have had both and prefer the elec. The surge brakes worked fine but I found I had to constantly adjust them for wear or they wouldn't work properly. Instead of the electric tongue jack (only for wimps on such a light trailer) I would get spare tire holder. Also look @ featherlight.

Peter

Quick Reply: Trailex Question