Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HANS device or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911gt3 not sure if this was covered but keep in mind the equal restraint rule PCA has.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on all that Mooty said.

I myself went thru the same dilemma recently when I made the decision to get a harness. I ended up purchasing the HANS professional. It was mighty spendy, but I have no regrets. It's very light and I don't notice it at all when I'm in the car. Granted, I'm not racing enduros, so I'm not going to be bothered by much in the span of 30 minutes or so. It does hit the seat back (I've got a 2010 GT3 w/the carbon bucket seats), so it does force my head forward a wee tiny bit. No big deal, as I've already stated.

Get a custom roll bar if you've got a fabrication shop in your area. I had mine made by TC Design in Milpitas (SF bay area). TC rocks!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i am avg ht.
i just have no legs.
have you seen dachshund....
now personify the dog.... you see me.
Damn John, I have three dachshunds. Now every time I look at them I'll wonder how you reach the pedals.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:00 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HANS, if you can configure it properly as stated above...I would not go on track without it.
stuffed my GT2R (slightly, mind you) as MOSPORT in practice and the HANS did its job. (we ended up winning the enduro with some creative, lucky pit-stops) would not have been possible to drive had it not been for the HANS.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NEVER EVER go without it. HANS along with all the other safety gear properly installed saved me during a pretty violent crash at the Glen back in September. I had an instructor some years ago who mildly suggested that if I was serious about this sport, was serious about my life and cared for my family, I should invest in some decent safety equipment. It took me 2 seconds of thought and took his advice. He is a surgeon and I am sure he was well informed of the alternative results of not driving with the right gear.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I want to comment on how helpful everyone has been for those of us just getting into this wonderfully addictive sport. Thank you for enduring the repetitive questions, and please know the answers and opinions are extrememly appreciated.

I will be researching the Isaacs and HANS to make a choice in the next several months, but it is clear I will be wearing one or the other next season. So far, it seems like I willl be going with the DAS rollbar, as it seems to have a better, more secure mounting system, not using the rear seatbelt mounts. It is at least 10 lbs heavier than the others and I will have to powdercoat on my end. But, the weight is just a bit more than a gallon of gas, the safety seems more than worth it, and I can gain the weight savings back on a Lithium battery and an Akropovic or Sharkwerks down the road--yes? What, HRE makes Carbon Wheels? Addictive.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the R-3 when comparing these devices.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
I want to comment on how helpful everyone has been for those of us just getting into this wonderfully addictive sport. Thank you for enduring the repetitive questions, and please know the answers and opinions are extrememly appreciated.

I will be researching the Isaacs and HANS to make a choice in the next several months, but it is clear I will be wearing one or the other next season. So far, it seems like I willl be going with the DAS rollbar, as it seems to have a better, more secure mounting system, not using the rear seatbelt mounts. It is at least 10 lbs heavier than the others and I will have to powdercoat on my end. But, the weight is just a bit more than a gallon of gas, the safety seems more than worth it, and I can gain the weight savings back on a Lithium battery and an Akropovic or Sharkwerks down the road--yes? What, HRE makes Carbon Wheels? Addictive.
ignore wt, get the best bar you can, whatever that may be. DAS is great, had one.

the wt you save is way too small to feel it. if you really want to drop wt, strip the car. otherwise, all the wt talk is academic. safety first.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:39 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

once you use Hans and get used to it you will feel naked without. Get the professional, carbon version. I once forgot to pack mine in my gear bag and had to use a borrowed cheaper, heavier version and found a significant difference in comfort due to weight. I wear mine all day on rally - touring and race stages - and if I ease the belts to take some pressure off when touring the key thing that influences comfort and fatigue is not the hans, its making sure the seat cushion in the race seat is the right thickness and density. With the cushion its a trade off between comfort and immediacy of feel with the car.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:35 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

You may also find some "Extra" models available (now discontinued), which is inbetween a "Professional" and a "Sport". For the incremental dollars the light-weight versions are worth it.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HANS is a must. Like the rest who commented said, you won't even know its there once you get acclimated to it. Particularly helpful if you go to a single seater as well, since the really fast ones try to rip the helmet off your head, and the support of the HANS limits that to a degree.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the posts. I am committed to a HANS or Isaacs now. I have the winter to continue to research both.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:14 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Since you have all winter, maybe check out the DefNder too. I like the extra protection for lateral forces so I bought one of those instead of the HANS. In the end any of these is better than none so come March if you're still stumped, flip a coin.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 PM
kush07
Racer

Originally Posted by gt38088
Get the professional, carbon version. I once forgot to pack mine in my gear bag and had to use a borrowed cheaper, heavier version and found a significant difference in comfort due to weight.
I always wondered how this could be. If you crank your harnesses, how do you feel the weight difference in the hans?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I am also new to the HANS system and are also considering one for next season.
But if you look at the comparing video at 5 sec: Is the HANS system nog male functioning in this video ?
The left seat belt slides away completely leaving this HANS device free to move. Is this not supposed to stay under the belt. I would suggest a normal 6 point harness is not fitted so loose. I at least pull those belts pretty tight. In the video it seems not right. This way you loose a big part of the function. OR do i see it completely wrong ?

Quick Reply: HANS device or not?