Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rs or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

RS. It is a keeper and will be a modern classic.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The regular GT3 doesn't look that subtle anyway. Might as well go all the way and look the part.

I thought about this, too. The RS is a better proposition if you can pay the difference.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
s4awd
Advanced

I've driven 2 different RS and my std GT3's turn in was sharper, it felt lighter, smaller and pulled harder. The torque down low on the std GT3 makes a HUGE difference. Needless to say, I still went with the RS. Just becuase. Oh well
Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM
YellowCalliper
Intermediate

The RS is just a more special car. Something about looking in the rear view mirror and seeing that huge tilted wing just makes it for me.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Couple of things. You can delete the decals on the RS (although accept this might be problematic on a car in stock). Have a look at some of the YouTube videos by Chris Harris of Evo Magazine (in the UK) on the RS (as well as the GT3). Wider track of the current 997.2 GT3 RS seems to have made a material difference to handling. Where he preferred the Gen 1 GT3 to the RS, he raves about the Gen 2 RS even over the Gen 2 GT3 (which is a fantastic car in itself). If only I did not need the rear seats.....

End of the day, you can't go wrong with either, just, if you want this as a keeper for the track, the Gen 2 RS may just be something that turns into an icon.... especially if the 991 GT3s/RSs ditch the metzger engines....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
IAortho
Instructor

OK, no flames from the RS crowd please, but I have to stand up and support the skinny-bodied gt3. I personally think the bigger wing, decals (which can be deleted), and color schemes on the RS are just too boy racer-ish compared to the standard gt3. My gt3 was optioned with more than most here would want -- lift, nav., optional color, and leather (oh, no!) to name a few -- and it would have cost the same as a low optioned RS, but it is absolutely stunning in every way. Get what YOU want......you have to look at it as well as drive it, but FYI there are a FEW people out there who prefer the standard gt3's cleaner look. As for track performance, the RS wins.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by s4awd
I've driven 2 different RS and my std GT3's turn in was sharper, it felt lighter, smaller and pulled harder. The torque down low on the std GT3 makes a HUGE difference. Needless to say, I still went with the RS. Just becuase. Oh well
if the car is set up well and if you are talking .2 versions, no way in hell is gt3 lighter and turn in better.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:05 PM
s4awd
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
if the car is set up well and if you are talking .2 versions, no way in hell is gt3 lighter and turn in better.
All the cars were .2 including the std GT3. I just don't like the feel of the wider tires. Go drive a .2 GT3 you'll see what I mean. Think about it. If all things are the same but you add wider wheels and wider tires, the RS' steering can't be as sharp because the tires are just bigger. The GT3 just "felt" lighter more nimble to me.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The GT3 is more than enough car for most.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:06 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

All the cars were .2 including the std GT3. I just don't like the feel of the wider tires. Go drive a .2 GT3 you'll see what I mean. Think about it. If all things are the same but you add wider wheels and wider tires, the RS' steering can't be as sharp because the tires are just bigger. The GT3 just "felt" lighter more nimble to me.
i really think this is due to the sport adaptive seats in your rs versus the proper folding buckets in your gt3. the 1" greater tire width up front isn't going to make the RS feel any less "sharp" at turning in. actually if you get it aligned the RS should be very neutral. the gearing also greatly helps with the feel.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:24 PM
s4awd
Advanced

Originally Posted by carrering
i really think this is due to the sport adaptive seats in your rs versus the proper folding buckets in your gt3. the 1" greater tire width up front isn't going to make the RS feel any less "sharp" at turning in. actually if you get it aligned the RS should be very neutral. the gearing also greatly helps with the feel.
I hear you but it was the first .2 RS I test drove when I felt it the most. It had the buckets, and the ceramic brakes. My butt doesn't lie but i felt it in my hands on the wheel Serously, try a .2 GT3 back to back with a .2 RS. I'm surprised I'm the only one the one that had a chance to try both back to back. If it was subtle I wouldn't mind it at much but it was noticeable given spending more for the RS. As I said in my original post about my experience when was about to do a trade in, there is no doubt the RS is faster. My old .2 GT3 just felt faster
Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that your impressions b/w the two are anecdotal at the very best and not based on any track set up parameters that might be indexed to help on making such a comparison.

You would also; after significant track time, realize that the RS is actually more of a "drivers car" right out of the box that demands different inputs based on the proprioceptive feedback you would get driving them back to back.

The base 3 will tend to be more forgiving and lead to a false sense of security and eventually give you the "bite" you may be missing that comes from driving the RS at higher perfomance levels.

This trend will be replicated as you transition to a CUP and and then to the RSR in exponential fashion if you continue down toward the "dark side" as so many on this board have tended to.

BTW, take the RS...you've already been biten!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM
s4awd
Advanced

Originally Posted by leif997
I would say that your impressions b/w the two are anecdotal at the very best and not based on any track set up parameters that might be indexed to help on making such a comparison.

You would also; after significant track time, realize that the RS is actually more of a "drivers car" right out of the box that demands different inputs based on the proprioceptive feedback you would get driving them back to back.
Though I've only done three trackdays, I really had a good sense how my old .2 GT3 was dynamically. On track, it was just solid even with one day in the rain. The only time the tires felt loose was over a crest which the car tended to aquaplane especially when going off the racing line to pass where there was plenty of standing water. Again, my comparison used only my hands and rear end for test equipment. I'm NOT saying my RS is slower. I'm just saying it just didn't feel as sharp (bigger tires) and faster (same torque but have to rev higher) than the std GT3. Someone bring over their .2 GT3 to westchester to prove me wrong.

So Boxerman, you won't be dissappointed with either. All I'm saying is I had an awesome time with my std 3 and you will too if you get one. Though the RS is HOTTTTT!! Something about an RS. I had to have one and you'll prolly end up feeling the same way. You just can't take your eyes off of it. BTW, After the 2nd lap, I had the same view of the cars in the pic below but there were all in my rear view mirror. hee hee I miss my car

Old 11-24-2010, 08:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Though I've only done three trackdays, I really had a good sense how my old .2 GT3 was dynamically.
Sorry for being direct, but to put your comments in perspective do you mean ever, or 3 days in both GT3 ands RS?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
OmahaGT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree that the GT3 is a wild animal! The lightweight components on the RS mostly make up for the added weight of its wider body. The RS downforce and wide body would change the feeling and straight line performance, but that's probably why it has 15 more hp. The RS can definitely turn a faster lap, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's more fun/rewarding.

Quick Reply: Rs or not