Should I flash my 2011 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Cyprus and Greece are one : )

No.. we have some guys producing quality software and good electronics.
For example we have Intracom http://www.intracom.gr/ that seels stuff to Siemens, also provides defense electronic equipment for NATO.

Bad thing is we are going bankrupt so..
Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by peterbigblock
I agree that professional coaching, especially going from a Cayman S to a GT3, would be really beneficial and I think the OP would do well to avail himself of that. That said, I haven't heard anyone make an argument for why a reflash would be a bad idea. Softronic (I have experience with them and think their product is first-rate) claims 20hp and 21 lb-ft peak gains, more area under the low- and mid-range torque curves, and better throttle response which is a major benefit when heel-toeing at the track.

If the only "minus" is that you could spend the money on something else instead, well, that doesn't really tell me anything. The warranty issue, at least with Softronic, is moot since the car can be flashed back to stock if any need for warranty work arises. So, other than having $1200 less than you used to, what are the downsides to argue against what appear to be substantial upsides?
With the softronic flash "trade in" program, it would only cost me about $550...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in the following experiment:

Take your new GT3 to your favorite track, time your laps.

Get the flash, go back to the track, time your laps.

Without coaching, I would be fairly confident you won't see lower lap times.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

With Softronic, it'd be possible to flash the car right in the paddock. That would be an interesting experiment indeed. Would it make as much difference as professional coaching? Nope. Are they mutually exclusive? Nope.

Same could be said of the $20k a GTS would allow a GT3 buyer to spend on coaching, etc. I agree, though, that if it doesn't show up in lap times (or driver enjoyment) what's the point? Of course, if the difference is negligible, by then it's too late other than to report findings to the forum. Take one for the team, KY!

I also agree with the general notion that bolting on baubles doesn't do nearly as much for lap times as some good coaching.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not worth it , your going to loose your warranty for very little gains , on the other hand in most cases from what i've seen it wont do good for the power curve as it will sacrafice low-mid range for higher hp in high rpms.

I agree with the rest , unless you have a reowrked motor do a custom tune..
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlips
I'd be interested in the following experiment:

Take your new GT3 to your favorite track, time your laps.

Get the flash, go back to the track, time your laps.

Without coaching, I would be fairly confident you won't see lower lap times.
Worthless experiment for a guy who hasn't spent much time tracking a GT3. Lap times will be all over the map due to driver learning curve and then he may try to attribute it to the mod being tested. Conclusions won't be valid.

....now if you had a pro coach driving the car before/after the flash and had data logging then you could get more info about the flash.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
As Larry said, don't see much to be gained HP-wise unless you start modding the motor and it's not like these cars are underpowered. The only element of a reflash that holds any interest to me is remapping of the E-gas pedal. I personally find too much throttle delay on many new cars including the GT3 at lower RPMs. You don't really notice it on the track but I notice when matching revs on the street.

To put this in perspective, I've been driving a friend's M3 Coupe a lot in our carpool and I always sensed what felt like a delay between when and how much I applied throttle and when the motor responded. I finally got around to putting it in M-mode one day and it was like night and day. Instant throttle response in exact measures to input. Now I won't drive it without M-mode on.

So to the extent that a reflash could address that issue than I'm for it but otherwise no thanks.
+1
Did Sharkwerks DME. I had to minimize/remove the delay. It also made it easier for me to modulate the throttle in a turn, too.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

But it's in the high rpms that gains would be most beneficial for a car that sees mostly track duty. Put me down as being in favor of it. 20 hp and 20 tq won't hurt, and at $27.50 per hp, there are a lot of people who spend $3,000 for a set of headers that do the same.

I've always had good luck with Scott Slausen and his products at Softronic. Evo is also excellent, but the OP said he has a credit with Softronic. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I say. I don't know anyone who's flashed a Porsche and would rather flash back and drive the car that way.

I do drive a Boxster S, so maybe I'm not qualified to speak to the GT3...
Old 11-15-2010, 06:19 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by peterbigblock
But it's in the high rpms that gains would be most beneficial for a car that sees mostly track duty. Put me down as being in favor of it. 20 hp and 20 tq won't hurt, and at $27.50 per hp, there are a lot of people who spend $3,000 for a set of headers that do the same.

I've always had good luck with Scott Slausen and his products at Softronic. Evo is also excellent, but the OP said he has a credit with Softronic. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I say. I don't know anyone who's flashed a Porsche and would rather flash back and drive the car that way.

I do drive a Boxster S, so maybe I'm not qualified to speak to the GT3...
That is nothing.
If you gonna do it, do it right. : )

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-doing-it.html
Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
rlips
Instructor

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Worthless experiment for a guy who hasn't spent much time tracking a GT3. Lap times will be all over the map due to driver learning curve and then he may try to attribute it to the mod being tested. Conclusions won't be valid.

....now if you had a pro coach driving the car before/after the flash and had data logging then you could get more info about the flash.

I agree, Allan. Most likely the pro would get a few tenths out of the mod. The point I was making was similar to what you observed; new to tracking the GT3 would benefit from seat time much more than a mod.

The GT3 is so capable out of the box, at least engine wise. Perhaps some nice track pads and a good track alignment would be the best way to spend the money.

But, it's your $, so it's your choice. Either way, you are gonna love the GT3 on the track, it's fantastic. I can't get over how much better this car is on track than my very nice 2008 C2S

Cheers,

Ron
Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Good point about the eGas pedal remapping, has anyone tried one of these:

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...GT3&engine=Gas?
I have it on my 6. Mike
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I have it on my 6. Mike
and your thoughts ... is it of any value?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Throttle response is so much better on track- always thought egas was lazy in our cars. Mite feel jumpy for street but u get to use to it in 30 minutes(just be sensitive to how u push pedal). Mike
Old 11-16-2010, 04:30 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

is that a brabus? hahhaha
love the new avatar.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Throttle response is so much better on track- always thought egas was lazy in our cars. Mite feel jumpy for street but u get to use to it in 30 minutes(just be sensitive to how u push pedal). Mike
thanks for the response - product looks interesting.

Quick Reply: Should I flash my 2011 GT3?